Looking for rod and reel recommendations for Surf Fishing for Fluke

Rate this topic

Colin2175

This year I plan to try to do some surf fishing for fluke for the first time. I'm looking to get a new rod and reel setup for this purpose. I was thinking for rod length that I'd go for 7' 6". Is that a good length? I was also thinking a 3/8 - 2 oz rating or should I go lighter? I've been eyeing up these two rods, the Star Stellar Lite 7' 6" Medium Heavy Rated for 3/8 - 2 oz and Star Stellar Surf 7' 6" Light Rated for 3/8 - 2 oz. I should also note that I plan on using bucktails and softplastics on jigheads. I'm not really sure on a reel or reel size, so any recommendations are appreciated. My budget for the rod and reel is $300.

Edited by Colin2175

7’6” is definitely the rod size you want for surf fluking but without handling those rods in person you need to be certain they can handle very light weights even down to 1/4oz. Any 3000 sized reel with 10/15lb braid will do, it’s only fluke on an open beach 

Might wanna check out the Jigging World Tide Runner 802S-ML, 8' rated 3/8-2 Oz.

I just picked one up and it will be used as a back up for surf fluke fishing, fishing sand fleas/moles/crabs for bass and throwing small metals for albies/blues/bonito from the sand.

Thank you all for the replies. I'll probably pair the rod with a Daiwa BG 3000 or 3500. I was wondering what rod rating you guys would recommend for Surf Fishing Fluke on the Jersey Shore? Would something rated 3/8 oz - 2 oz or 1/2 oz - 1 1/2 oz be fine? Or is that a little too heavy? I'd think that I'd be throwing anywhere from 1/2 oz - 1 oz. Is that what you guys typically throw? Or do you guys throw something lighter or heavier? A couple other rods I've been checking out are the:

Tsunami Carbon Shield II - 7' 6" MH rated for 1/4 oz - 1 oz

St. Croix Mojo Inshore - 7' 6" MH rated for 1/2 oz - 1 1/4 oz

I like up to 2 oz for flounder. Besides gulp and jig heads, I like casting bucks to them spiced with gulp. Look at the John Skinner video. BG reel would be fine to use . I would look at a Tica rod, or the Star before a Mojo . Tight lines.

Capt, Frank Mundus. The man, the myth, the legand.

7'6" Weapon Junior vr50 or Sustain 3000=most versatile combo I own. Boat, Bay, Flats, Freshwater, Tidal Creeks, Saltmarsh, lightweight scout rod, low tide boulder field  probe, and last but not least, best fluking combo I've used. Alternative rods: Check out both Shimano and Diawa JDM for 1/4-1 1/2oz rated rods. The Dialuna is a great fluke rod for light stuff.

Thanks again for all the replies.  I just found another Star Rod which I'm heavily considering. It's the Star Seagis Inshore Spinning Rod - 7' 6" Medium-Heavy rated for 1/2 oz - 1 1/2 oz. Have any of you used this rod before for fluking from the beach? If so, how is the sensitivity on it? Also, how does it handle throwing weight on the lower/higher end of it's rating?

The vast majority of fluke you’re going to catch are right by the beach lip. Medium or medium-light spinning rod, 15 lbs braid, 2500-3k reel. Don’t overthink it, it’s a fluke. 

I just purchased the Star Seagis Inshore Spinning Rod - 7' 6" Medium-Heavy rated for 1/2 oz - 1 1/2 oz. Can't wait to use it. Hopefully it'll do good throwing bucktails in the surf for fluke. I'd also like to use it as a backbay striper rod which I think it'll do good at. I had to order it online since I couldn't find any local shops that had it. Hopefully it arrives in one piece. I'll be pairing it with a Daiwa BG3000 with 15lb braid. Now all I gotta do is get some bucktails.