Zeebaas reels waterproof?

Rate this topic

Busanga

For those who fish theirs hard, ie dunking, reeling underwater etc etc. How waterproof are these reels. And how sand proof for fine sandy beach use.

I would be looking at bailed 27 model if anything. 

And do they have smooth drags ?

I don't own one, but I had seriously considered one before I settled on a Van Staal. Yes, they are fully sealed. I believe they use as a commercial a true story of a reel that fell into the water and was lost, and then was found a year or so later by someone who use the serial to lookup up and return the reel to the original owner, and after a service, the reel was working just fine after spending months submerged in the surf.

I believe their drag is slightly smoother than a Van Staal, but I have never had one in my hand so take that as second hand knowledge only (someone here who does own will be able to answer better). The only reason I didn't go with them is that I didn't want to wait 1-2 years to get a reel...

1 hour ago, Busanga said:

For those who fish theirs hard, ie dunking, reeling underwater etc etc. How waterproof are these reels. And how sand proof for fine sandy beach use.

I would be looking at bailed 27 model if anything. 

And do they have smooth drags ?

They are waterproof and have a better drag than a VS.  

I don't think there is such a thing as "sand proof." 

If you drop a ZB in the sand, it will pick up sand.  I normally will dip it back into the water to rinse it.  I will then just turn the handle and fish it.  Yes you will hear grinding sand doing this, but that is what this type of reel is designed for.  

It all started last year during a terrible thunderstorm, when I locked myself out of the house. Shelving myself with a large piece of sheet metal, I ran for cover under the tallest tree I could find!

26 mins ago, striperswiper06437 said:

They are waterproof and have a better drag than a VS.  

I don't think there is such a thing as "sand proof." 

If you drop a ZB in the sand, it will pick up sand.  I normally will dip it back into the water to rinse it.  I will then just turn the handle and fish it.  Yes you will hear grinding sand doing this, but that is what this type of reel is designed for.  

I did hear of issues in the older versions of sand getting behind the drag cover / adjuster and causing issues with grinding and making it difficult to adjust the drag properly.. not sure if this was addressed

7 mins ago, Busanga said:

I did hear of issues in the older versions of sand getting behind the drag cover / adjuster and causing issues with grinding and making it difficult to adjust the drag properly.. not sure if this was addressed

Yea long time changed .. gen 1 had holes in drag knob .. they don’t anymore .. 

I fish mine hard . I serviced like March . Been out 2-3-4-5 days a week since . Deep wading , sandy shore break , epic down pours .. just cracked the side cover today and no sign of any water at all .. 

ZeeBaaS are waterproof 100%. Every reel they build or service gets pressure tested in a tank that simulates being at 30ft depth. Doesn’t leave the shop if it doesn’t pass. Thats one thing I’ll always praise them for. They do recommend changing the seals out annually though, especially if you fish hard and don’t rinse your gear. 

As for drag, in my eyes they have the best drag of any surf reel. Smoothest and best design, as they use the whole bottom of the spool (and a top stack) for drag pressure and not just a top stack like VS or Visser. 

But everyone has their preferences too. None of the reel options are bad. 

The ZB is very easy, The VR series of Van Staals are also very easy.

Not so much with the VS,VSX and X2 series Van Staals. Special tools are required to get to the pinion assembly components.

Thanks for the info guys.  I might very well look into getting a Z27 for my beach casting set up.

Another question. As I will be doing bait fishing too, i will get the bailed version. Anybody have experience with the bailed version. I know most on here use bailess.

But for bait fishing bailed is easier to keep the line on while in the sand spike

1 hour ago, Busanga said:

I am in the minority, because I like the old school with “sand holes” and titanium rings. That said, these are canal reels. I have other ZB reels with modern spools and drag knobs for the beach. 

Edited by ged

I have a ZX2 #0184

It has never been serviced. Once a year I open it up and replace the Royal Purple grease it's packed with.

It's spend a lot of time in sandy waves and has never been anything but flawless.

I should think about replacing the O-rings, just because

Edited by Sudsy

I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries --

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

Social Distancing since 1962

48 mins ago, Wire For Fire said:

27 pretty large for plugging imo .. and bait fishing with a zee is kinda crazy too I think . Get a 25 bailess for plugging and diawa saltist or bg or something cheaper for bait fishin . Just my two cents 

Your type of bait fishing is not the same as our type of bait fishing here in Africa. We have to wade and swim out to banks in big seas to cast our bait out. Reels get a hammering. We use stella sw 20k and 15 foot rods. Looking for something that is more robust than my Stella for this type of fishing. Will keep the Stella for the boat and easy days of the beach.