Question for guys who fish long rods on their kayaks

How do you fix a tangled or line wrapped rod tip while on your kayak while using a long rod ? Some of the rods people use the reel would be off the bow of my kayak in the water.  Holding the rod perpendicular over the gunwales likely to dunk the reel. Standing up in some swell or wind to attempt to fix doesn't seem like a good time either. 

Tip tangles happen. Over time you find your nitch. I know for me? I have less tangles with bait casters and fast action tips. Also when I build rods I use Fuji Arowona SIC ti0 top. These are good for spinning or casting. Take a look at your tip top. Make sure its stream lined, no globs of glue or epoxy.

IMG_3498.png

3 hours ago, cheech said:

I slide the butt end out on to the bow.

This.  I stretch my legs out on the bow and place the butt end of the rod between my feet to keep it from sliding off into the water.  

All my yak rods are 7 or 7.5' long

Edited by Jeff270

Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?

13 hours ago, JerseyJeb said:

How do you fix a tangled or line wrapped rod tip while on your kayak while using a long rod?

It depends.  First, I try to avoid tangling my rod tip.  Sometimes I can spin it out by spinning the rod or swinging the lure around.

If not, most of my rods are 7-7.5'.  I'm 6'1", so it's not too much of a stretch with the reel out in front of me (being careful not to dunk it).

If I'm close to shore (which I usually am in a kayak), I can just paddle (or peddle) to shore & deal with it from land.

And if all else fails, I grab another rod & keep fishing.  :D 

19 hours ago, gellfex said:

Why do you want to fish a long rod? Seems like very few use longer than 7'. Even a 7' on a 14' boat can get hairy trying to untangle a tip knot.

Probably going to be in the market for a new combo by seasons end was just seeing what is out there. Lots of kayak gurus were talking about not using anything shorter than a 7 ft 6, and using rods like 8, 9, 10 ft. I don't shy away from long rods on land but this just didn't match up with my experiences on the kayak.

5 mins ago, JerseyJeb said:

Probably going to be in the market for a new combo by seasons end was just seeing what is out there. Lots of kayak gurus were talking about not using anything shorter than a 7 ft 6, and using rods like 8, 9, 10 ft. I don't shy away from long rods on land but this just didn't match up with my experiences on the kayak.

That's nuggin futz! I've never heard anyone advising that, just people who fish with what they have like you. There's great bargain rods out there popular with kayakers. The Ugly Tiger Lite, (now Elite) is a good heavier one, I love my Tsunami Classic MH for jigging fluke and tog, it's only like $55. Pair it with a 2-3000 spinner with 15lb braid.

1 hour ago, gellfex said:

That's nuggin futz! I've never heard anyone advising that, just people who fish with what they have like you. There's great bargain rods out there popular with kayakers. The Ugly Tiger Lite, (now Elite) is a good heavier one, I love my Tsunami Classic MH for jigging fluke and tog, it's only like $55. Pair it with a 2-3000 spinner with 15lb braid.

Yeah I am not sure. I think its just more people doing stand up fishing but also I see on the west coast maybe by handling those long trolling rods they don't care and will cast lures on long rods too.  Just shopping around, any rod marketed to yaking seems to be at a minimum 7 ft long now where as for my personal preference I wouldn't want to go longer than that.

My criteria for a yak rod is one that is long enough for you reach around the bow if needed.  No need for anything longer, they become more a problem when it is time to land a fish.  I know more than a few guys who have broken rods because they were high sticking them when trying to land a fish.

Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?