Locked Threads

Rate this topic

26 mins ago, z-man said:

Why are we locking threads again because a couple people can’t act like adults? 

Z,

I know, I agree.  Maybe ask the people who can't act like adults.

I don't know what else to tell you?

The Sultan of Sluggo

48 mins ago, bob_G said:

Z,

I know, I agree.  Maybe ask the people who can't act like adults.

I don't know what else to tell you?

How about just show the people that can’t behave the door so the rest of us can have a discussion. That is the point of this website isn’t it? It’s getting ridiculous. 

This has baffled me as long as I've been on SOL. Why doesn't he give 1 day or even 7 day timeouts? One of the 1st threads I ever started I was asking for technique advice for an area (not a spot), and an SOL "big dog" tells me he's gonna fish there but I  "should put in my time". I told him to go wag his dick elsewhere. Even though some guys tried to offer advice he then harassed me till Tim closed the thread! I was utterly enraged. 

1 hour ago, z-man said:

How about just show the people that can’t behave the door so the rest of us can have a discussion. That is the point of this website isn’t it? It’s getting ridiculous. 

1 hour ago, gellfex said:

This has baffled me as long as I've been on SOL. Why doesn't he give 1 day or even 7 day timeouts? One of the 1st threads I ever started I was asking for technique advice for an area (not a spot), and an SOL "big dog" tells me he's gonna fish there but I  "should put in my time". I told him to go wag his dick elsewhere. Even though some guys tried to offer advice he then harassed me till Tim closed the thread! I was utterly enraged. 

Only Tim and a couple of the administrators have "the buttons" to suspend, place into moq que, or ultimately toss someone. 

My buttons only allow me to edit, delete or lock a thread.

I said it many times, I dislike doing any of the three. 

One reason is because as opposed to the spoke words, the Internet is still an imperfect medium when it comes to expressing an opinion, or conveying humor.

Good natured sarcasm and joking, can often be misinterpreted as ad hominem, or a personal attack.

But recently certain posts were meant to derail productive, informative threads. Also became personal, bringing out insults and name calling.  Real childish stuff, usually by someone in need of attention.

That just won't fly. 

The Sultan of Sluggo

the most mis-used word of the forum:

RACIST......

We'll go on to some thread about tomatoes, and somehow

the thread WILL evolve into the word..............

5 hours ago, bob_G said:

Only Tim and a couple of the administrators have "the buttons" to suspend, place into moq que, or ultimately toss someone. 

My buttons only allow me to edit, delete or lock a thread.

I

And there's your answer.  BobG only can do so much with the power he's given.  

It's like me and my bus with unruly students.  My options are very limited to what I can do.  Fight breaks out, all I can do is, pull over, call it in and wait for the cops.  

Just how it is 

1 hour ago, unskunk said:

RACIST......

No, no it's not. The problem is people don't see how racist they really are.  Also goes with homophobia & transphobia. 

The jokes aren't necessary in day to day life. Words hurt people, and that hurt carries on throughout their lives.  

Mental health is the root of most problems.  All of your addictions stem from unhealed mental trauma.  Sexual abusers, physical abusers, etc started with unhealed mental trauma chain that probably goes back generations.   

Those words.  They just add more links to the chain. 

58 mins ago, PSeggs said:

No, no it's not. The problem is people don't see how racist they really are.  Also goes with homophobia & transphobia. 

The jokes aren't necessary in day to day life. Words hurt people, and that hurt carries on throughout their lives.  

Mental health is the root of most problems.  All of your addictions stem from unhealed mental trauma.  Sexual abusers, physical abusers, etc started with unhealed mental trauma chain that probably goes back generations.   

Those words.  They just add more links to the chain. 

Relax............Take a pill............

3 hours ago, unskunk said:

RACIST......

It evolves into the word because someone makes a racist joke. Stop being so sensitive and just recognize the truth that there’s a lot of racism out there, especially among the older fellas who tend to post on this forum. Not the biggest character flaw in the world and one that is fixable once you realize that jokes or digs at racial groups are prejudiced and unnecessary. 

Edited by jmei

If the words on the post are not family friendly, the power is there to simply edit the words our completely, before they get to be a problem down the road.   Then those who are confrontational ,or hell bent on being a thorn     no longer have a platform to use the words they do. Peace and Prayers

Life member M.B.B.A #509

Life member Izaak Walton Fishing Association

Life member Cape Cod Canal

3 hours ago, unskunk said:

RACIST......

The threads that evolve into a discussion around racism occur only after someone makes a dumb comment or a lousy joke.   When called out on it, the jokester usually responds with "lighten up, its only a joke", or  "i know a black guy, Im not racists".  Its not the 50's anymore!

Like it or not, good people want to get away from some of the common practices of the past.  Racism, homophobia, etc being some of them.  

Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?

7 mins ago, z-man said:

How about instead of telling people to relax or stop being sensitive you just stop the racist comments. 

show me my racist comment, Zero man...................