Chinese restaurant that will cook your stripers on the Cape

Rate this topic

I’m looking for a Chinese restaurant that will cook your stripers for you in Cape Cod, close to the canal. I know one existed a while back and I’ve tried searching but I can’t find it.

thank you.

29 mins ago, TomBraidy said:

I’m looking for a Chinese restaurant that will cook your stripers for you in Cape Cod, close to the canal. I know one existed a while back and I’ve tried searching but I can’t find it.

thank you.

The Way Ho in Buzzards Bay at the east rotary. See Benny Chu the owner. 

Edited by Joe G

Until it shuttered some eight years ago, Fontini, the owner of Nick’s Pizza House in Buzzards Bay often cooked me a few meals of baked striped bass, prepared Greek style.  Slowly baked and simmering in a seasoned  tomato sauce with greens beans and potato it was delish. 

Nick’s Pizza was my preferred pizza joint in town.  As such, I  built up a great relationship with Fontini and her staff over the years.  

Our “arrangement” was that I would bring in  fillet's of freshly caught bass in the early AM. Fontini would prepare the meal during the day and ask me to come back late in the afternoon for a sit down meal at the restaurant. She would also give me a platter of the fish dinner to go.

Fontini never sold the fish dinners to customers. Rather, she and her staff consumed the fillets. It was a win-win arrangement. 

11 hours ago, PSeggs said:

That sounds pretty rad imo. 

If I could pick, I'd go with whole & steamed. 2nd whole & fried. 

Keeper stripes bass is a pretty big fish to steam whole. Hard to imagine most folks even have a steamer big enough, and by the time it’s fully cooked through to the inside, the outside will most likely be overcooked. I’d recommend either cutting it into pieces (if you cut the fish into thirds, would work much easier) rather than steaming it whole. Ditto for frying. 

54 mins ago, Joe G said:

Until it shuttered some eight years ago, Fontini, the owner of Nick’s Pizza House in Buzzards Bay often cooked me a few meals of baked striped bass, prepared Greek style.  Slowly baked and simmering in a seasoned  tomato sauce with greens beans and potato it was delish. 

Nick’s Pizza was my preferred pizza joint in town.  As such, I  built up a great relationship with Fontini and her staff over the years.  

Our “arrangement” was that I would bring in  fillet's of freshly caught bass in the early AM. Fontini would prepare the meal during the day and ask me to come back late in the afternoon for a sit down meal at the restaurant. She would also give me a platter of the fish dinner to go.

Fontini never sold the fish dinners to customers. Rather, she and her staff consumed the fillets. It was a win-win arrangement. 

I don't know Massachusetts law, but such arrangement would be illegal in many states, including New York, as you were technically bartering some portion of the fish to the restaurant, to feed its owner and staff, in return for having some cooked and served to you.  Laws restricting sale to licensed commercial fishermen normally address both "sale" and "barter."

Yes, it's a technical point, and would probably never be noted by anyone with the power to enforce the law, but folks should still be aware of the implications.

"I have always believed that outdoor writers who come out against fish and wildlife conservation are in the wrong business. To me, it makes as much sense golf writers coming out against grass.."  --  Ted Williams

Wok n Roll in Montauk (now closed) used to do that.  General Tsos striper was all time favorite.   They would cook anything any way you wanted.   One time we caught a couple chicken Mahi while sharking and brought them in.  My brother told the waitress they were dolphin and the staff got all excited and wanted to try it.  They thought it was Flipper.  True story. 

57 mins ago, jmei said:

Keeper stripes bass is a pretty big fish to steam whole. Hard to imagine most folks even have a steamer big enough, and by the time it’s fully cooked through to the inside, the outside will most likely be overcooked. I’d recommend either cutting it into pieces (if you cut the fish into thirds, would work much easier) rather than steaming it whole. Ditto for frying. 

Home kitchen, yes.  Commercial, completely doable.   I steamed whole salmon all the time for buffets.  20lb salmon will fit in a hotel pan no problem. If you want to use a bamboo steamer bend it.  If it don't bend. Keep bending. Something will pop. It always does. 

10mins per inch of thickness

10 mins ago, Joe G said:

Hum?   Unsure about that. 

Is not bartering the exchange of goods or services for other goods or services without the exchange of money?

Seems like that’s what you did.

”She and her staff consumed the fillets.”  That’s goods going in one direction.

”would ask me to come back late in the afternoon for a sit down meal at the restaurant.”

That’s services moving in the other direction.

Thus, barter took place.

"I have always believed that outdoor writers who come out against fish and wildlife conservation are in the wrong business. To me, it makes as much sense golf writers coming out against grass.."  --  Ted Williams