Question for lobstermen

Rate this topic

I notice lately a lot of kayakers are using lobster trap as anchor including some of my friends who does it regularly. How do you feel about pulling up to your lobster trap and seeing a fishing kayaker attach to your lobster trap? Honestly, I don't see any harm in it but just wanted to know how you guys feel about it. 

neither would the kayaker, knowing that if they didn't unhook/untie from the lobster buoy they would be in for some fun when the lobsterman pulls that trap.

I would HOPE that if the kayaker wasn't screwing with the trap or dragging it if there is a strong current, that the lobsterman would give them a little leeway. (They need to know that these lobster traps are a tool and a means of earning a living, and if you screw with it you are subject to whatever punishment the owner feels is justified.)

ALTHOUGH...if the kayaker is a doosh and presumes to "have the right" to anchor wherever they want and that the lobsterman can just wait until they are done fishing, then the lobsterman should have to right to treat the doosh like a poacher and meter out their own justice.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!

Strictly forbidden. You're not even allowed to touch someone's fixed gear unless you're tangled.

Trying off even with a kayak will drag fixed gear such as lobster traps, that market lobstermen, esp comm guys really pissed.

The Sultan of Sluggo

I know a kayaker who does it regularly as well. I always tell him, you better hope the lobsterman doesn’t find you on his gear. He doesn’t seem to quite understand. but he’s the type of guy who will never have an issue.

Me on the other hand will tie off to a buoy for 10 minutes when I’m having issues in bad weather and the gear owner will come haul that buoy in those ten minutes

Edited by Pescador710

Extremely frowned upon.  We used to tie off to pot buoys in the canyons at night, head was on a swivel looking out for the owner.  They'll pretty much run you over.  My old man told me a story where they were tied off once bailing mahi and the lobster boat got so close they threw a skate like a frisbee and it bounced off one of the guys heads hooked up.  Ha.

17 mins ago, BanditReel87 said:

Extremely frowned upon.  We used to tie off to pot buoys in the canyons at night, head was on a swivel looking out for the owner.  They'll pretty much run you over.  My old man told me a story where they were tied off once bailing mahi and the lobster boat got so close they threw a skate like a frisbee and it bounced off one of the guys heads hooked up.  Ha.

The offshore lobsterman REALLY frown on it.   They hate when someone ties off to their highfliers because it drags the trawls off course, and often flips over the traps.

The Sultan of Sluggo

1 hour ago, bob_G said:

The offshore lobsterman REALLY frown on it.   They hate when someone ties off to their highfliers because it drags the trawls off course, and often flips over the traps.

Plus they don’t just tie off. They typically cut off the flyer and ball because they didn’t want it on their boat , or scratching their hull.  One night on Welker  canyon, pea soup fog, I picked up an east end and hauled to the west. Out of the fog comes this 30 something foot thing with everyone asleep tied to my west end. 

1 hour ago, Thirteen said:

Plus they don’t just tie off. They typically cut off the flyer and ball because they didn’t want it on their boat , or scratching their hull.  One night on Welker  canyon, pea soup fog, I picked up an east end and hauled to the west. Out of the fog comes this 30 something foot thing with everyone asleep tied to my west end. 

When I worked on the longliner, the quickest way to get punched in the head was to fall asleep on watch.  Lets just say it was frowned upon.

Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?