Sooo need a vacation

Rate this topic

Rumors of a cobia caught at 55 2 days ago, so we headed there in the afternoon. There were multiple charter boats close to shore fishing for cobia so I had high hopes.  But got the big zero.  A couple sea mullet, big rays and a shark. For a split moment I thought that shark was a cobia.:rolleyes: There has been a nightly run of big Drum south end of 55. At the end of Pole rd. So I made it out there at 10pm. Made the walk over and only one person fishing. He said no drum yet. There was absolutely no wind. S at 1mph. Mosquitoes were out in force. Fished for 30 minutes and headed back. I had no bug spray. While I was gone wifely caught a good number of crabs while I was catching mosquito bites. Maybe I make that long walk to the Point tonight? Last night to do it

thumbnail_20240528_130610.jpg

thumbnail_20240530_000115.jpg

thumbnail_20240529_185612 - Copy.jpg

Posted (edited)

Yesterday was NE winds. We wanted to fish 38.l The tackle shops and locals spoke glowingly about this ramp.  But a warning from one local. It's soft sand. Many trucks get stuck. Do not stop until you get to harder sand by the water. The NE wind was too chilly for the fam so headed to 49. Much warmer. Parked next to a local. He had the largest sand flea rake I have ever seen. About 3 ft wide.....the day before he had caught 6 puppy drum in 30 minutes on sand fleas. He acknowledged the shortage of sand fleas. He believes it has to do with beach nourishment that has been going on. It takes me about 20 minutes to find a dozen usable sand fleas............. Couple of sea mullet, and the usual big rays........  And Matthew finally did it. He baited his own cut bait, cast, hooked an ocean perch and landed it  on his own. Proud daddy......"Daddy camera!!"...ok..................... I finally made the walk to the Point. Last chance I had. The whole week the winds were SE or SW. I choose a night with NE winds.:wag:   Parked at the fish cleaning area at 9:30 and got to the Point at 10 with high hopes. I was the only one there. Fished till 1:30 in the morning. Blues, Blues and giant sharks. The last one did me in. Must have been about 150-200 lbs I fought it for about 30 minutes. I managed to bring it close to shore. But that's it.  He wasn't having it. I had no one to help me and finally the line snapped.:box: I was done.

Toady we'll head back to 49 for a half day and come back to start packing...Threw the kitchen sink this week and coming up way short. Oh well.....:shrug:

thumbnail_20240530_190431.jpg

thumbnail_20240530_175755.jpg

thumbnail_20240531_011046.jpg

Edited by pilotman

Posted (edited)

Got back home. Nice to be back. Yesterday we fished until 5 next to 2 guys.  Just want to share an experience I had yesterday that maybe helpful to others.. Many of you may already know....... There were a couple guys to the right us us with 7 heavers out. Normal. I didn't pay them any attention bc of my own fishing. But they caught one and at first I thought was a 5lb bluefish. But it was too oval to be a bluefish. Pompano!!! These were hard core Pampano fishermen. Walked over there and they showed me their cooler. 3 5lb pompano and many giant sea mullet. I was in  awe and humbled. We don't cast that far for pompano. Just in the first slough.  And they were the size of your hand. I've never seen a Pompano this big  in person. Just pics. He had a gallon of big sand fleas.:eek: and gave us a handful. Thank you! My heavers were for cobia, his were for pompano.. ..He said to cast as far as you can. But it was time to go. Tried for 15 min and headed back to the beach house. After 39 years of Hatteras, I'm still learning. My heavers for cobia or 5lb pompano? 

Edited by pilotman

It's been fun reading your reports over the week. Makes me ready to spend some time on the beach but we won't be anywhere near the ocean until later this fall when we go to Chincoteague in September. 

16 hours ago, BLilly said:

It's been fun reading your reports over the week. Makes me ready to spend some time on the beach but we won't be anywhere near the ocean until later this fall when we go to Chincoteague in September. 

Hi BLilly, Thank you. Not the most productive Hatters trip I've had. But the most exciting and fun. The little guy doesn't remember the last cobia I caught or clamming. He was too young. But now he's at an age of long term memory and this week he will keep forever. Maybe a weekend trip during the summer...Working 2 jobs makes it tough. :thumbd:

On 6/2/2024 at 7:05 AM, BLilly said:

Just reread your post. Yeah, Chincoteague VA in September. Couldn't of picked a better time to go. Maybe I'll see you on a weekend.