Sooo need a vacation

Rate this topic

Haven't been fishing as much since the little guy started school. May and October are now a no no . But his school is almost over. Free time has been cutting the grass, garden, landscaping, chopping cords of wood, shopping.....and working too much......Looking forward to this trip. Spent all weekend respooling the heavers with Ande Monster line. My favorite. Mullet and pompano rods with Ande Back Country  line. 6 heavers, 9ft rods for Whiting and Pompano. 2 11ft rods for for throwing metal.  Bringing an inflatable Excursion 7 that I modified with 2 100ah LiFe4 Batteries to explore and fish the sound and clam. Just started packing. Roof cargo, cooler rack..etc..Packing is time consuming..:waiting:...Just getting down there in Buxton to relax is all that I'm looking forward to...catching a fish is just gravy..........just kidding :point:

thumbnail_20240518_155251.jpg

thumbnail_20240519_001159.jpg

y3.jpg

Edited by pilotman

Everything packed. The little guy is super excited.( he's 8) Hopefully he will be a self reliant fisherman by the time the trip is over. Baiting the hook, casting out by himself, and landing. It's been over a year since our last vacation so I'm stoked. Looking forward to meeting hhager or any one that wants to come by and share a cold one or fish with us.

On 5/22/2024 at 1:12 AM, phishallways said:

Be safe and have fun. These days go past way too fast :th:

Some of the best memories with my dad were in our little 17' runabout fishing the pilings around Manteo.

"The sea, the great unifier, is man's only hope. Now, as never before,
the old phrase has a literal meaning: We are all in the same boat."
Jacques Cousteau

Got down at 4 yesterday. Stopped by the tackle shop to see if Cobias have been caught at the beach. From boats, yes, but not from the surf yet bc the water temps are 7-8 degrees cooler the norm this time of year. And bc of this, the Pompano and Spanish mackerel have not shown up in force yet. But I'm here and I'm fishing. Unpacked and tried an hour at 44. A couple of mullet on shrimp tipped with sand flea fish bites. Then headed to just north of the Point( way too crowded. Can't wait till after Monday) 2 bites. First was a good one( big drum?) but came off mid fight. The second I thought was a Cobia but ended up being a 60ish lb skate.:thumbd: It wore me out. Was too tired to walk to the Point from the fish cleaning area at night so just hung out with the family at the beach house. Today we are taking the boat to an area I've been eyeing for many many years. About a mile and a half north west of Brigands Bay where we are staying. There is a bar there right in front of a deep channel and looks very clammy. Shallow with lots of sea grass. This area is the reason I bought 2 100ah Life4 batteries for my 55lb thrust saltwater trolling motor. May hit 45 or the Point after...or just fish the beach house with the wife.....fingers crossed.

thumbnail_20240525_130758.jpg

thumbnail_20240525_211220.jpg

thumbnail_Screenshot_20240526_095656_Maps.jpg

thumbnail_Screenshot_20240526_095732_Maps.jpg

Took off from Brigands Bay early afternoon in search of this sand bar that I've only seen on

google maps. I wanted to test the limits of the lithium batteries so I put the trolling motor at the highest speed and took off.  Wifey complaints started rolling in 20 minutes in. Where the hell are we going? That bar could have disappeared!,10 more minutes!.......Maybe I should have gone alone was what I was thinking..:shrug: Then almost an hour in I see a sand bar in the distance.:lock: It looked very clammy but just one clam. And the deep channel on the other side was not there. Just more shallow. Quite beautiful tho. As crowded as it on the island due to the holiday it was nice to be there without a person in sight. Just us and a 6 pack of beer.:howdy: Stopped off in some areas on the way back to fish. Small bait fish:th: All they have on the island for bait is big mullet. Each one is over $10:wag: Tried gulp alive and had a few bites but just got the tails bit off. Just used one lithium battery. when we got back we still had 68% battery power left.  Super impressive.( what do I do with 2 of these monster batteries?) Got back to the beach house, ate dinner, and I headed to the Point at 8:10pm. The Point closes at 9. Got there at 8:30 and asked someone who was fishing about the bite. He said he's been there since 8am and did not see anyone catch a drum the whole day. Ugh...People were leaving in groves. By the time I cast out at 8:40 I was the only one at the Point. For 20 priceless minutes I had the Point all to myself. No drum . Couple bluefish.....today back to 44,45....if I can squeeze in somewhere. Way over crowded.

thumbnail_20240526_155545.jpg

thumbnail_20240526_163437.jpg

thumbnail_20240526_161320.jpg

thumbnail_20240526_163317.jpg

thumbnail_20240526_163446.jpg

thumbnail_20240526_163536.jpg

thumbnail_20240526_163617.jpg

thumbnail_20240526_164859.jpg

19 hours ago, dixiekraut said:

Glad to see you and Connie and family still getting out and enjoying the water...fish or no fish. Was wondering how you've been doing.

Hey Dixie! I've been good. Hope you have been good as well. Haven't been fishing as much since the little guy started school. We moved

to West Friendship a couple years ago bc of their school system. PG County school system is in the gutters. But the house had some quirks. I took out the oil heater and installed a heat pump and a wood insert.. We now heat the house with firewood during the winter. We burn about six cords of wood every winter. So basically any free time I have is chopping and splitting firewood. Have you been back to Hatteras? Any fish tales?

1 hour ago, pilotman said:

Hey Dixie! I've been good. Hope you have been good as well. Haven't been fishing as much since the little guy started school. We moved

to West Friendship a couple years ago bc of their school system. PG County school system is in the gutters. But the house had some quirks. I took out the oil heater and installed a heat pump and a wood insert.. We now heat the house with firewood during the winter. We burn about six cords of wood every winter. So basically any free time I have is chopping and splitting firewood. Have you been back to Hatteras? Any fish tales?

I remember you posting awhile back that you bought a new place out in the "ruburbs" ( rural suburbs...LOL)  Figured that you probably had to spend a lot of time and effort making that transition. I myself made a transition last June...I'm fully retired now...as is my wife since the end of Dec. We managed a couple of trips in that time...Colorado ( thrilling drive up Pikes Peak ) and a trip to New England ( loved Mystic Conn...the maritime museums and boat yards...the whaling history...as well as a trek up Mt Washington in N. Hampshire...felt like winter...in summer ). But I did get to fit in a quick solo trip to Buxton mid November...arrived just in time for a nasty storm...but as soon as it cleared out it turned into a relatively successful fishing expedition. Landed five slot reds and one keeper blackie. We secured a beach house in Buxton for this coming November...so we will see what the future brings.

Edited by dixiekraut

11 hours ago, dixiekraut said:

I remember you posting awhile back that you bought a new place out in the "ruburbs" ( rural suburbs...LOL)  Figured that you probably had to spend a lot of time and effort making that transition. I myself made a transition last June...I'm fully retired now...as is my wife since the end of Dec. We managed a couple of trips in that time...Colorado ( thrilling drive up Pikes Peak ) and a trip to New England ( loved Mystic Conn...the maritime museums and boat yards...the whaling history...as well as a trek up Mt Washington in N. Hampshire...felt like winter...in summer ). But I did get to fit in a quick solo trip to Buxton mid November...arrived just in time for a nasty storm...but as soon as it cleared out it turned into a relatively successful fishing expedition. Landed five slot reds and one keeper blackie. We secured a beach house in Buxton for this coming November...so we will see what the future brings.

Retired? Good for you! This November...wow...sounds drummy. Honestly I don't know When we'll take another vacation. Maybe same time next year. :th:

Posted (edited)

Yesterday was tough. Nice weather but nothing biting. Not even mullet. Connie had a flounder that came off in the waves. So we moved to the Point since holiday crowd was gone. Hooked two chopper blues but that was it. People started catching big cow nose rays so I called it quits. My crotch area is still sore from those rays. Last 2 days has been south winds. I'm sure the drum were biting at night at the Point. That's a long walk from the fish cleaning tables to the Point. My 'balls to the walls' fishing attitude in Hatteras has waned now that I'm in my 50s ( maybe 1 night this trip :shrug:) Instead, jumped into the hot tub with a beer and watched the wifey and Matthew fish the back all night....... Today we went clamming. Weather was nice and found a bucket full of clams. This 100ah Life4 battery is amazing. Looked on google maps and that sandbar we went to the other day was actually 3 1/2 miles away( and why wifey was complaining :blackeye:). That's 7 miles round trip on full speed. And today we clammed all day and the battery is still 60% full. amazing. Take it to Ocracoke next time?:squid:  Clamming was fun as always. We had a competition of the largest clam. That clam on the bottom right of the bucket was the biggest clam at the moment. Mommy won. That was her clam.

thumbnail_20240527_170808.jpg

thumbnail_20240527_170829.jpg

thumbnail_Resized_20240527_133931.jpg

thumbnail_20240528_162643.jpg

Edited by pilotman

7 hours ago, pilotman said:

Yesterday was tough. Nice weather but nothing biting. Not even mullet. Connie had a flounder that came off in the waves. So we moved to the Point since holiday crowd was gone. Hooked two chopper blues but that was it. People started catching big cow nose rays so I called it quits. My crotch area is still sore from those rays. Last 2 days has been south winds. I'm sure the drum were biting at night at the Point. That's a long walk from the fish cleaning tables to the Point. My 'balls to the walls' fishing attitude in Hatteras has waned now that I'm in my 50s ( maybe 1 night this trip :shrug:) Instead, jumped into the hot tub with a beer and watched the wifey and Matthew fish the back all night....... Today we went clamming. Weather was nice and found a bucket full of clams. This 100ah Life4 battery is amazing. Looked on google maps and that sandbar we went to the other day was actually 3 1/2 miles away( and why wifey was complaining :blackeye:). That's 7 miles round trip on full speed. And today we clammed all day and the battery is still 60% full. amazing. Take it to Ocracoke next time?:squid:  Clamming was fun as always. We had a competition of the largest clam. That clam on the bottom right of the bucket was the biggest clam at the moment. Mommy won. That was her clam.

thumbnail_20240527_170808.jpg

thumbnail_20240527_170829.jpg

thumbnail_Resized_20240527_133931.jpg

thumbnail_20240528_162643.jpg

Its been an interesting spring run...seeing all those 5-13 lb blue fish hitting the surf from Ocracoke to Assateague since late April. Havent seen that for some time. 

They sure are a fun fight.  Would like to hit the Bonner Bridge pier for a sheephead but we are heading to 44-45 again today. Bought the little guy a boogie board that he's itching to use. Not feeling it for the cobia this week. The mass migration is happening but they are not coming in to the surf bc of cooler water temps. They are nailing them on boats around Nags Head. No complaints tho. If I have one it's that this week is going by way too fast.