Where have all the Sea Life gone ?

Rate this topic

Peter, Paul and Mary Song Lyrics -  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgXNVA9ngx8

Where have all the flowers gone, long time passing?

Where have all the flowers gone, long time ago?

Where have all the flowers gone?

Young girls have picked them everyone.

Oh, when will they ever learn?

Oh, when will they ever learn?

Capt. Ray Stachelek Lyrics – 

Where has all the sea life gone, long time passing?

Where have all the sea life gone, long time ago?

Where have all the sea life gone?

Selfish people have picked them everywhere.

Oh, when will we ever learn?

Oh, when will it ever end this?

VANISH….. PUFF….. LIKE MAJIC…. GONE !

Most individuals know when an item is missing only after they know, something was there in the first place? It’s all so much more difficult to assessing the environment using this same concept.  One needs spending decades on the water watching all this transition to know…. The world is a changing and it’s affecting our fishing conditions. 

Global Warming, water quality, environmental impact, human intervention, predation, diseases, natural occurrence are all important factors of this conundrum. I look around and my eyes are wide open seeing so many animals and plants vanishing in our nautical environment.

Here is a list of Vanishing Species that I have noticed in my Home Waters of Rhode Island.

Periwinkles

Starfish

Blue Muscles

Horseshoe Crabs

Spider crabs

Soft Shell clams

Frost Fish, (Whiting)

Winter Flounder

Lobsters

Barnacles Growth

Scallops

Eel Grass  

Endangered Species

Stripers

Tuna

Cod Fish

Swordfish

Blue Shell crabs

New introductions:

Black Sea Bass

Chub Mackerel 

Overabundance

Jelly Fish

Sea Robins

Spiny Dog Fish

Fishless Days

There is no easy solution, no easy answer.

But we better quickly fix it fast before there is nothing left?  

How about you?

Do you have any astute observations?

Picture1.jpg

Nothing flies by me without a hook!
If my fly is down, That's a good thing.

Public Access.....It's a shore thing. My daily requirement of "Vitamin Sea".

Capt. Ray Stachelek

I've seen one horseshoe crab this season. One. Oddly no sea robins yet, but it's just a matter of time...

Loads of jellies, like last year...

Edited by bdowning

Pfantum Pfishah

,eels  caught on purpose on your line 

Tom Cod

Quahaugs

Lady crabs

water way cleaner  than 20 years ago  /IMO   good for people & not good for marine life ><><

I haven't snorkled in several years but last year I did a good amount of wading with my dipnet to look at the small fish and creatures. 

I saw alot of spider crabs. I mean more than I've seen in a long time. Almost any blind grab through the weeds pulled in at least one.

I also saw lots of juvenile cunner. I don't know if there's a recruitment issue with them getting to adulthood but there was plenty babies.

I saw zero blue mussels which has been the case for a number of years. I have seen beds of baby mussels on rocks in the surf zone but no big ones.

I saw very few baby flounder. I'm used to seeing the little flounder shooting away in all directions when I wade. Only saw a few.

Of course plenty of green crabs.

Baby sea bass were plentiful, though not as much as five or more years ago. They're something that really seemed to just show up maybe 10 - 15 years ago.

But the biggest change by far was the millions of invasive European grass shrimp. Five years ago I had never even heard of them. Last year they were the most abundant small creature I saw. The rocks were covered with them. You could get 10 or 20 in one net scoop. Pretty much everywhere you could scoop.

I’ve seen lots of horseshoe crabs this year way upper Bay Area sand bar type place , but that was April/ may , I haven’t seen any spearing/ silversides in abundance like last year , there was bunker upper bay early April after about the 20th gone then been out front and haven’t seen much life of anything 

2 hours ago, mikez2 said:

But the biggest change by far was the millions of invasive European grass shrimp. Five years ago I had never even heard of them. Last year they were the most abundant small creature I saw. The rocks were covered with them. You could get 10 or 20 in one net scoop. Pretty much everywhere you could scoop.

Agree. Those grass shrimp are prolific and nearly carpet some of the rocky areas I fish.

Pfantum Pfishah

1 hour ago, Wave afterwave said:

I haven’t seen any spearing/ silversides in abundance like last year

This may be the biggest change I've noticed this spring from last. Although I'm finally seeing a slight uptick and a few more bass on them. Funny how that happens. :naughty:

Pfantum Pfishah

32 mins ago, bdowning said:

This may be the biggest change I've noticed this spring from last. Although I'm finally seeing a slight uptick and a few more bass on them. Funny how that happens. :naughty:

I get it , it’s been colder this year and kept water temps colder then last , but last year some spots I fished literally thousands and bass on them you could hear popping all over the place 

I,ve  seen a big uptick in choggies the last 5 years / we probably went 15 years  without getting 15 of them .

Big increase in toadfish 

I saw alot of true grass shrimp  early to the point I was getting enough to use  / by catch in modified mummy pots ........... now three pots the other day .. 4 or 5 shrimp 

Baitman  RIP told years that there isn,t any food on the shore for them so they have goon deep ?????  later that years I caught a couple of average fluke in 60 feet of water .that threw up all grass shrimp

I have seen  zero silversides & I fish a place from shore in the spring .. where they have been thick  since I can remember .as of lastnight  none .yey someone that was squidding  in Newport  said they were so think he was dip netting by the gallon ??

11 hours ago, clammer said:

I,ve  seen a big uptick in choggies the last 5 years / we probably went 15 years  without getting 15 of them .

Big increase in toadfish 

I saw alot of true grass shrimp  early to the point I was getting enough to use  / by catch in modified mummy pots ........... now three pots the other day .. 4 or 5 shrimp 

Baitman  RIP told years that there isn,t any food on the shore for them so they have goon deep ?????  later that years I caught a couple of average fluke in 60 feet of water .that threw up all grass shrimp

I have seen  zero silversides & I fish a place from shore in the spring .. where they have been thick  since I can remember .as of lastnight  none .yey someone that was squidding  in Newport  said they were so think he was dip netting by the gallon ??

Gotta be cause the areas I fish also was as thick last year and past few then nothing , so out that way gotta be good again , heard Mack’s , squid , and lots of fish there stuff coming in