Where have all the Sea Life Gone ?

Rate this topic

Peter, Paul and Mary Song Lyrics -  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgXNVA9ngx8

Where have all the flowers gone, long time passing?

Where have all the flowers gone, long time ago?

Where have all the flowers gone?

Young girls have picked them everyone.

Oh, when will they ever learn?

Oh, when will they ever learn?

Capt. Ray Stachelek Lyrics – 

Where has all the sea life gone, long time passing?

Where have all the sea life gone, long time ago?

Where have all the sea life gone?

Selfish people have picked them everywhere.

Oh, when will we ever learn?

Oh, when will it ever end this?

VANISH….. PUFF….. LIKE MAJIC…. GONE !

Most individuals know when an item is missing only after they know, something was there in the first place? It’s all so much more difficult to assessing the environment using this same concept.  One needs spending decades on the water watching all this transition to know…. The world is a changing and it’s affecting our fishing conditions. 

Global Warming, water quality, environmental impact, human intervention, predation, diseases, natural occurrence are all important factors of this conundrum. I look around and my eyes are wide open seeing so many animals and plants vanishing in our nautical environment.

Here is a list of Vanishing Species that I have noticed in my Home Waters of Rhode Island.

Periwinkles

Starfish

Blue Muscles

Horseshoe Crabs

Spider crabs

Soft Shell clams

Frost Fish, (Whiting)

Winter Flounder

Lobsters

Barnacles Growth

Scallops

Eel Grass  

Endangered Species

Stripers

Tuna

Cod Fish

Swordfish

Blue Shell crabs

New introductions:

Black Sea Bass

Chub Mackerel 

Overabundance

Jelly Fish

Sea Robins

Spiny Dog Fish

Fishless Days

There is no easy solution, no easy answer.

But we better quickly fix it fast before there is nothing left?  

How about your area! Do you have any astute observations?

Picture1.jpg

Nothing flies by me without a hook!
If my fly is down, That's a good thing.

Public Access.....It's a shore thing. My daily requirement of "Vitamin Sea".

Capt. Ray Stachelek

Compared to what I saw growing up - we have an empty ocean and it is getting worse every year.

Winter flounder - I’ll never target or catch them again

Whiting - see above

Weakfish - Close to the above

Insane #’s of horseshoe crabs (or pretty much any other crab) - gone

5lb+ tog from shore - never again

Striped Bass - getting there real quick

Bluefish - worse than bass

Mullet - what are they now?

It’s pretty ****ing depressing.

ASMFC - Destroying public resources and fisheries one stock at a time since 1942.

I remember sailing to Stonington, CT in 1970's and docking - I think - at Brewers Marina.  Maybe it wa s another name - not important.

Sailing past Fishers Isl there were broad seaweeds  a foot wide coming up from the bottom. No more.

When we docked we could see the bottom 15' down.

Same at Block Island.

Used to go out at 3-4 AM with the kids to see al the crabs and snails in the shallows.

No more.

It's distressing what "we" as humans are doing to this planet.

Too many people don't care for these wonderful things.

Herb

By my parents on barnegat bay - endless eel grass and clear water. You could see the bottom in 6’ of water. The crabs that I used to catch there… Now, no more grass beds and you can’t see 6” down. Seemingly unlimited numbers of killies, grass shrimp, pipefish. They’re all gone now. 

ASMFC - Destroying public resources and fisheries one stock at a time since 1942.

In the 80’s on Block, you would see young lobsters when wading. Like a desert now. Blown away at the destruction. What will be left for my granddaughter? Plenty of seals. Why aren they so prominent and everything else vanishing? Hummm

2 hours ago, turkaholic said:

In the 80’s on Block, you would see young lobsters when wading. Like a desert now. Blown away at the destruction. What will be left for my granddaughter? Plenty of seals. Why aren they so prominent and everything else vanishing? Hummm

Likely the marine animal protection act which was established 50+ years ago.

Same thing here on the west coast. Tons of seals and sea lions.
SF

a big percentage of the species mentioned in the OP have declined, both directly and indirectly, because of invasive european green crabs and, more recently, asian shore crabs.  

I've done stuff I ain't proud of, and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting.

3 hours ago, turkaholic said:

It's sadly because seals are seen as furry cute cuddly animals that are deemed worthy of protection with the Marine Mammals Protection acts (I don't recall the exact names of these acts). Fish and crustaceans aren't portrayed by the media as worth protecting. 

2 hours ago, EBHarvey said:

a big percentage of the species mentioned in the OP have declined, both directly and indirectly, because of invasive european green crabs and, more recently, asian shore crabs.  

Greenies have been around 50+ years at this point, it’s not their fault, it’s not because of the asian crabs either. It’s entirely man made - over fishing, over development, pollution, warming waters. Sadly, it’s not changing any time soon. At this point, I (or anyone else)will never see local fishing as good as I have in the past again.  

Where have all the Stripers Gone, long time passing?

Where have all the Children Playing In Our Fields Gone, long time ago?

Where have all the Local Towns Turnout Voters Gone, long time passing?

Where have all the Affortable Homes Gone, long time ago?

...and Where have all the Intelligent Presidents Gone , very long time ago?

Where have all the flowers gone?

Oh, when will they ever learn, when will they ever learn ?

Oh, they many never learn again for a long time ago..............................

Currently have aphasia.    Aphasia is a result of my head stroke causing a bleed.   Happened in my Maine vacation in July (2021).   Lucky me less than 1% of people get stroke aphasia.  :(      I'm making project but have been told this is easily 5 months to 1 year for this to improve.   Until then hope you don't mind making sense with what I text.   HT

I seriously wish that I was just a little bit older, this way I wouldn’t see what’s coming. I’d die knowing that I had it good until later in my life.

I seriously wish I'd been around during the truly golden age of flats fishing in the Keys.  My friend's dad, who passed away about 8 years ago, was a fisherman since the 1950's and he would tell us about how the striped bass in Chesapeake and Raritan Bays were so thick during the runs that you could have walked on the backs of them.  I cannot imagine.

I caught the tail end of great bonefishing in the late 90s in the Keys, schools of over a thousand bones.  Since 2002 I have not seen that at all - mostly singles to triples.  

57 mins ago, formula1 said:

I seriously wish I'd been around during the truly golden age of flats fishing in the Keys.  My friend's dad, who passed away about 8 years ago, was a fisherman since the 1950's and he would tell us about how the striped bass in Chesapeake and Raritan Bays were so thick during the runs that you could have walked on the backs of them.  I cannot imagine.

I caught the tail end of great bonefishing in the late 90s in the Keys, schools of over a thousand bones.  Since 2002 I have not seen that at all - mostly singles to triples.  

In KW it’s a few small ones here and there. 

9 hours ago, Fergal said:

Greenies have been around 50+ years at this point, it’s not their fault, it’s not because of the asian crabs either. It’s entirely man made - over fishing, over development, pollution, warming waters. Sadly, it’s not changing any time soon. At this point, I (or anyone else)will never see local fishing as good as I have in the past again.  

Green crabs should not be ruled out as a major factor. Green crabs eat everything they can get their claws on, from snails, worms, and bivalves, to other crabs. They absolutely destroy grass beds that are crucial to juvenile fish, and they have very few predators. 

Alaska F&W are very concerned right now because they showed up there a couple years ago and could ruin the current crab fishery there.

Plenty of other factors for our fisheries woes but green crab are responsible for a lot of problems. 

Embrace American Privilege