Penn Pursuit IV 4000 Rotor Broken

Rate this topic

I have a spare Penn Pursuit IV 4000 I keep in the car and use on occasion to get bait. This is the second time this reel has broken on me. It appears the rotor has broken from the base??? Has anyone ever encountered this? The first time I returned it and got a new one and now a few months later same result….

IMG_6904.jpeg

IMG_6903.jpeg

Hi, I'm still on my first pursuit 5000, first series. I use it for pier fishing, and never had a problem with it, and it gets banged around at the pier. I use 20# mono on her. I would put a post on the Penn forum on here. See what Penn says.

Capt, Frank Mundus. The man, the myth, the legand.

10 hours ago, PENN Fishing said:

Hi,

Sorry for the troubles you are having.  Looks like the nut holding the rotor down came loose allowing the rotor to pop up.  If reach out to us via PM, we will walk you through next steps.  Thanks

tony 

Hi Tony reached out to the account but also wanted to let you know I did tighten the screw and the issue is not resolved, it appears broken in a random pattern at the base of the rotor 

On 5/20/2024 at 10:34 AM, PENN Fishing said:

Hi,

Sorry for the troubles you are having.  Looks like the nut holding the rotor down came loose allowing the rotor to pop up.  If reach out to us via PM, we will walk you through next steps.  Thanks

tony 

Hi Tony, thank you the vendor did an exchange so I will give the reel a third go. I really enjoy Penn this is one of those reels that has been giving me issue. Thank you for top notch customer service. Tight lines!

On 5/20/2024 at 9:22 AM, BentHookzMA said:

I have a spare Penn Pursuit IV 4000 I keep in the car and use on occasion to get bait. This is the second time this reel has broken on me. It appears the rotor has broken from the base??? Has anyone ever encountered this? The first time I returned it and got a new one and now a few months later same result….

IMG_6904.jpeg

IMG_6903.jpeg

Is that ramp for the bail trip?

HH

An armed man is a citizen,,,an unarmed man is a subject,,,,,,,,

IMG_6904.jpeg

IMG_6903.jpeg

I love these reels I've had to change a couple pinion bearings but that is it thankfully. I love nothing more than keeping pace w the Vanstalls and tsunamis Daiwas etc next to me with my work horse pursuit 4000 during a fall blitz or a good topwater bluefish bite.

Edited by SurfMonster
None
" At night, in Jersey waters right off the beach, Summer time.... there be monsters!"

On 5/27/2024 at 10:47 AM, SurfMonster said:

I love these reels I've had to change a couple pinion bearings but that is it thankfully. I love nothing more than keeping pace w the Vanstalls and tsunamis Daiwas etc next to me with my work horse pursuit 4000 during a fall blitz or a good topwater bluefish bite.

I’ve always said people catch fish not reel. It’s a tool it’s not the full picture but if you go out in the surf this reel would not last you long. Unless you don’t get surf or sand near it 

1 hour ago, BentHookzMA said:

Honest I have no idea, Penn is great but this real you really get what you pay for…

It looks to be plastic?

Some parts need to be stronger than thought.

HH

8 hours ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

It looks to be plastic?

Some parts need to be stronger than thought.

HH

100% it is plastic but diawa and other use similar material for weight and smoothness and they hold up better than this. Penn makes some workhorse reels but they tend to be heavier and not as smooth. Check your PMs

On 5/30/2024 at 9:55 PM, BentHookzMA said:

I’ve always said people catch fish not reel. It’s a tool it’s not the full picture but if you go out in the surf this reel would not last you long. Unless you don’t get surf or sand near it 

I use these consistently from the surf

" At night, in Jersey waters right off the beach, Summer time.... there be monsters!"

IMG_6904.jpeg

IMG_6903.jpeg

So, how'd you make out?

HH

8 hours ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

So, how'd you make out?

HH

I ended up returning it and getting a new one, but I don’t think the issue is solved since it has happened to multiple reels. I have yet to use it. It’s my loaner reel or bait reel. 

My advice is if you can afford to move up to a battle or other Penn reels do it.