RI Fish Report Blog, May 20 - May 26

Rate this topic

The Rhode Island Fish Blog was created as a common communal gathering place to share and report weekly fishing activity. Having this information rightly available in one weekly thread benefits those who greatly use this RI forum and ply our local waters with a fishing rod.

The premise is to gather all weekly reports into one common portal, thus making it easy to access, view and add your own reports and comments.   This is the seventh year for this unique approach. Please post your success or skunks, either way, black or white, zero to hero, let us all share this information.  Fresh, factual information is one of the best sources of Intel we have for better fishing tomorrow.

Keeping our fingers crossed this week we have a change of improved fishing conditions. 

Looking forward to warmer weather, less extreme temps from night time transitions to daytime. 

Improvement in wind direction with warmer southern, constant lower breezes. 

Migrations of more and better bait supplies filling in void across the waters. 

Late spawning fish arrival. 

Better high tides this week with morning sunrises.  

IMG_0505.JPG

Edited by Capt.Castafly

Nothing flies by me without a hook!
If my fly is down, That's a good thing.

Public Access.....It's a shore thing. My daily requirement of "Vitamin Sea".

Capt. Ray Stachelek

I will be in Newport for the first time in my life Friday - Sunday. . fingers crossed to run into a bass or two.

DAN K

Edited by Dan K

B'Nuggets with the Asian.

(*member formerly known as 'imdannoir')

The water was a bit stained this morning, but I got a chance to fish on the boat with optimal conditions: 7am high tide, daybreak, overcast, calm breeze, full moon in two days.  The first hour we searched in cove and then open bay.  I believe we might have even launched about 15 mins after Captain Ray this morning if he launched from a certain local ramp.  After an hour, we finally found the striped bass, like prior posts have made mention - simply holding in the top 18 inches of the water column, and spooking and swirling as we quietly motored along trolling.  There was no visible baitfish or worm in the water but Mr. Bill did get a vicious strike on a white rubber worm fished with no weight.  After finding the fish, drifting through them with the engine cut worked for drawing strikes but trolling a popper and then bucktail jig with a gilttery chartreuse rubber fish worked.  We got 3 in and released-- all just short of the slot size about 25-27".  It seemed they were more eager to bite once the tide was fully going out after 7:30am and once the breeze became a light wind, it seemed to move the bass off but as we left we were still seeing them swirl and spook away  as the boat got close to them.  All bass no bluefish.  Water temp was 59 early then 63, two hours after first light.

Overall good outing last night, def an uptick in bite from what i had been seeing.  Had to move to a very different location from where i had been fishing to find fish, they were def on bigger bait last night as they did not want small offering.  Most all fish in that same 26-29/30" class, still no small fish for me which is just mindblowing.

That moon is bright, no lights needed to change plugs or unhook fish.

Edited by Kooky

Saw a handful of fish rolling like tarpon this morning mid bay. Cool scene but unfortunately out of fly casting range even with the wind at my back. Sped home to get the spinning rod but fish had moved on by the time I got back. Now that I had the spinning rod though, decided to see what was happening out front. Had a bump on a pencil popper but didn't get a great hookset. Nothing the remainder of the morning. Might try again later when the water warms up as I wasn't seeing any bait around but there were a few cormorants diving about so I assume it is around.

Posted (edited)

Launched at a prominent State Park Boat Ramp and Park  on the West Side of the Upper Bay. 

I may have missed StealheadJoe by 15 minutes, we were in the water just after 5:30am. 

Since the tide crested at 7:00am I had a chance and some time to fish the quiet coves on an  elevated tide. 

Really nothing happening so after a dozen cast, moved to more open water past the marinas.  

We found three or four boats, and a dozen kayaks working along a string of rocks. 

Quiet on the surface you wouldn't know nothing was there. 

Dozens of cast with my best favorite flies yielded not even a bump. 

Three times we started the motor the place came alive for just a few seconds. 

We had spooked those fish and the density was amazing. 

Perplexed .... we move on to the open bay hoping to find more surface life and bait. 

It was so quiet, no visual sighs, birds, or boats rafted up. 

We did have success fishing a quiet cove, random casting for the next three hours. 

A fish now and than, we released 16 stripers. Two were close to slot size.

The encouraging sight of smaller stripers was my highlight.

We released 14 stripers all around the 12 inch mark, two year old juveniles.   

That was a good sign, since it's been at least three years since I've seen those sizes in spring. 

thumbnail1.jpg

Edited by Capt.Castafly

Nothing flies by me without a hook!
If my fly is down, That's a good thing.

Public Access.....It's a shore thing. My daily requirement of "Vitamin Sea".

Capt. Ray Stachelek

7 hours ago, quack said:

Stop by the salt water edge if you need gear or got questions 

They’ve got my vsx100, hoping to pick it up in person if it’s ready 

B'Nuggets with the Asian.

(*member formerly known as 'imdannoir')

2 hours ago, Capt.Castafly said:

Launched at a prominent State Park Boat Ramp and Park  on the West Side of the Upper Bay. 

I may have missed StealheadJoe by 15 minutes, we were in the water just after 5:30am. 

Since the tide crested at 7:00am I had a chance and some time to fish the quiet coves on an  elevated tide. 

Really nothing happening so after a dozen cast, moved to more open water past the marinas.  

We found three or four boats, and a dozen kayaks working along a string of rocks. 

Quiet on the surface you wouldn't know nothing was there. 

Dozens of cast with my best favorite flies yielded not even a bump. 

Three times we started the motor the place came alive for just a few seconds. 

We had spooked those fish and the density was amazing. 

Perplexed .... we move on to the open bay hoping to find more surface life and bait. 

It was so quiet, no visual sighs, birds, or boats rafted up. 

We did have success fishing a quiet cove, random casting for the next three hours. 

A fish now and than, we released 16 stripers. Two were close to slot size.

The encouraging sight of smaller stripers was my highlight.

We released 14 stripers all around the 12 inch mark, two year old juveniles.   

That was a good sign, since it's been at least three years since I've seen those sizes in spring. 

thumbnail1.jpg

That's awesome 

troll #122  <*)))<

6 hours ago, Dan K said:

They’ve got my vsx100, hoping to pick it up in person if it’s ready 

Call them tomorrow Dan, and tell them you’ll be in town. They might be able to get it done before you leave Sun. Great shop, with great people, well worth the time to visit.