Sea Bass

Rate this topic

I know the weather wasn't great (like every weekend it seems) but did anyone get out for opening weekend?  Just curious how the bite was.  Water is still pretty cold. 

Edited by Chris76
Grammar

I didn't get out for the opener but 3 days before the season opened, I was fishing a place I slay seabass and only caught 4 in between the Tog and Scup. I was expecting to see more. Everything is late this year and water temp is lagging from what I have in the log books from years past. My guess there were a lot of disappointed people this year.

10 hours ago, jmei said:

Reports were pretty dreadful. Agree with the last two posters - everything is a week or two late this year due to water temps. 

Dreadful is being generous 

I was down on the Cape but chose to get cold and wet completing some projects on the boat instead of chasing opening day sea bass.  Based on what I heard from a friend who decided to get cold, wet, and bounced around  I made the right decision.  based on the fact that if there are any around this guy usually gets them,  I'm betting it will be 2 weeks before they really get going.

sam

Was out today on the kayak hoping to fill the fridge. I often get my biggest sea bass of the year on my early season hump, unfortunately it only produced a couple short females. I kept an eye on the boats around Cleveland ledge- no one stayed in the area for more than 30 minutes…

I had to change gears and settle for scup, a couple 15” pork chops will do just fine.

The waters in tight to shore were dominated by small sandeels. The stripers were quietly slurping away. With the small bait in by the millions the fish were picky but small soft plastics would get bit with enough frequency to make it worth while. I was hoping a striped bass may replace the void in the fridge made by the missing sea bass but the fish I landed were either a little short or a little long…

Launched from Wellfleet today. More so a shakedown with brand new outboard. 
went to tip of shoal. Water is in hi 40f to very low 50 range. One 18” fish, but new outboard is fantastic 

Checked Mo Beach a few times today, and there was very little boat activity.  

In the past, even a hint of sea bass fills the parking lot with trailers.  I'm told the togs are plentiful, but with a limit of 2, guys might not feel it's worth the effort at this time.

The Sultan of Sluggo

Spent the morning today eating NE wind. Good thing it didn't rain or drizzle rather. Only one keeper seabass to show for. Few other shorts. Plenty of big scups as reported. Flounder were chewing but short and out of season. Very disappointed compare to opening last year. 

Water is 55ish degrees. I thought it is about right for them? I don't know. 

Plenty of bait marking on my finder and maybe some big bass or blue shows up where I was occasionally. Guy went out on a kayak at the same time we did only got 1 bass, he was targeting them. 

Screwy weather. 

2 hours ago, bob_G said:

Checked Mo Beach a few times today, and there was very little boat activity.  

In the past, even a hint of sea bass fills the parking lot with trailers.  I'm told the togs are plentiful, but with a limit of 2, guys might not feel it's worth the effort at this time.

Why 2 togs? Limit is 3 in MA isn't it?

Another morning with whole lot of nothing. Zero keeper seabass, only some shorts. Plenty of scups around. Managed few togs today AWAY from the rock pile with one 17" keeper.

55 degree water temp, didn't think that's too early for seabass......

Edited by foxfai

28 mins ago, ged said:

Damn. I have a half day off to look for BSB. Looks like canal then work. 

Don't waste your time, it's very scarce every where. Friend said to me a party boat didn't catch a single one, all scups.