Pretied Circle hooks

Rate this topic

PSeggs

K, so generally I used to pre-tie all my rigs with whatever I wanted or needed.  Times are changing. Mainly I struggle to tie most knots these days due to increased arthritis in my hands.  My knots suck, my hands suck, and that's that.   I can tie a improved clinch and a Palomar 100% of the time.  So that's what I use.   I can't snell anymore.

For my general shoreline baitfishing I use either hi/lo rigs or carolina/fishfinder.  Hi/lo I'm good with. Found everything I need

I'm looking for a snelled circle hook but a smaller & lighter wire for mummichogs or silversided.  I usually use the owner light wire mutu.  18in+ leader would be great. 

I'd like to stay with circles, I've found Kahle but if I happen to catch a slot striper, I may keep it.  

Anyone got any suggestions?

There's a widget for snelling hooks on the market. If I can find mine, I'll post the name. Du-Bro? They make one for making haywire twists in wire, but I think there's a snelling tool also.

1 hour ago, PSeggs said:

K, so generally I used to pre-tie all my rigs with whatever I wanted or needed.  Times are changing. Mainly I struggle to tie most knots these days due to increased arthritis in my hands.  My knots suck, my hands suck, and that's that.   I can tie a improved clinch and a Palomar 100% of the time.  So that's what I use.   I can't snell anymore.

For my general shoreline baitfishing I use either hi/lo rigs or carolina/fishfinder.  Hi/lo I'm good with. Found everything I need

I'm looking for a snelled circle hook but a smaller & lighter wire for mummichogs or silversided.  I usually use the owner light wire mutu.  18in+ leader would be great. 

I'd like to stay with circles, I've found Kahle but if I happen to catch a slot striper, I may keep it.  

you can tie 3" loop bline,put the hook on loop,very simple not to sensitive for tying.

For hi-lo.  Google rig mate.  Pre tied dropper on spool.  very handy to use.

for FF rigs.  To hell with tying.  Just crimp it all. 

haters will always hate. trolls will always troll. its how the internet works.

(previously known as 'ooeric')

1 hour ago, EricL said:

For hi-lo.  Google rig mate.  Pre tied dropper on spool.  very handy to use.

for FF rigs.  To hell with tying.  Just crimp it all. 

I've been thinking about crimps. 

Any issues with smaller leader strength and break offs?  

Also. It's the dexterity that's a killer, plus limited mobility.  I've tried tools and I get frustrated.  I also have alot of nerve and tendon damage. For instance I can't hold up certain fingers, like to make a 3 sign, or my thumb doesn't go up.. for example

Proper size crimps with proper sized leaders. Fairly easy to crimp.  I wouldn’t suggest you to use like 100-200lb leaders. The crimps are like 1/4” wide.  A hassle to do.  Even with a foot long crimp took. But 40lb leader sized crimps, it’s smaller and thinner. So maybe be easy to batten down. 

haters will always hate. trolls will always troll. its how the internet works.

(previously known as 'ooeric')

7 hours ago, PSeggs said:

I have used some pretied snelled circle rigs from Eagle Claw. They weren’t perfect though. The mono was cheap and the lead to the swivel was too long to prevent fouling around a fishfinder slide. 

I would suggest clipping them short and retying a swivel with a surgeons loop. Easy to do even without finger dexterity. 

It halves the amount of stuff to tie. Check their product listings to see if they still sell them. Also, Aliexpress has been fairly impressive for simple things. I’ll check for this kinda rig sometime soon and let you know. 

54 mins ago, MartyK said:

If you use a dependable local shop for your supplies, I would imagine they'd pre-tie your knots for a small fee.   

I wish I had a local shop.  They've all closed. 

I've found a few smaller snelled hook options online.  Mustad Demon circles in 3/0, Matzuo in 2 & up. So  we'll see.   

There's a guy on UToob called Catfish and Carp.  The video is called "How to snell a hook".  It's pretty easy and I've used it.  Only issue is it may loosen with thicker mono or fluoro, but will tighten back up when pulled.  I don't use snelled hooks much as I use lures 99% of the time.  But check out the video and see if it may work for you.  

I'd post it on here but I'm not good at that.

Edited by Skunkoff

Ouch, I hear you loud and clear re hand problems. I am happy my hands are not worse than they are but they are still a mess. Football, construction and attitude have paid a toll on my fingers, wrists and knuckles. Yours seem worse than mine but if you can tie a Palomar and a clinch those would be my choice. If you need snelled hooks,  send me a bunch of hooks and leader material I'll tie a bunch up for you. Naturally a freeo. PMs work

Thanks Cascade.  There's good days and bad days. 

I'm good for now, I ordered a few different things that I think will work. 

Sucks cause I ain't even that old!  But it's probably from issues I had as a youth that are coming home to roost.   

I'm glad I left the meat dept when I did.  

1 min ago, PSeggs said:

Thanks Cascade.  There's good days and bad days. 

I'm good for now, I ordered a few different things that I think will work. 

Sucks cause I ain't even that old!  But it's probably from issues I had as a youth that are coming home to roost.   

I'm glad I left the meat dept when I did.  

No problem but keep me in mind if need be. Ahhh youth, when we were made of twisted steel.

I hope you get it figured out.. I use a lot of 4# leaders, and really struggle tying them.. Even at the bench.. Shaky hands and bad eyes... Forget 2#... If I could find about 24", 4# fluoro leaders with #8 mosquito hooks pr-tied, I would buy them in a heart beat... Good luck with your search, and post up if you find a place to get them...

Butch

TW’s and Oceans east in OBX both have premade fish finder rings with short 3-5” leaders. Hooks are sharp and price is reasonable. Time is no longer my friend and I buy a dozen on vacation every year. Work great for the purpose. I don’t know if I’d test them against trophy sized fish but I’ve had no problems with over slot drum and smaller sharks. I’d imagine they would ship to you.