Macks

Rate this topic

7 mins ago, z-man said:

I’ve never even seen one except for chub and Spanish macks. 

I've  caught them in Mass. Never CT.   Heard stories. But that's it

Fishing Mac’s with umbrella rigs was common in the sound 40-50 years ago. You would pull up 3-5 at a time.

Tis better to remain silent and thought the fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

In the spring the mackerel would follow the sandeels, and the blues would follow the mackerel in LIS. Seems the mackerel and the sandeels have pretty much vanished except for the matchstick sized sandeels. I have heard of a lobsterman setting a gill net for bunker 'last week had a few mackerel mixed in. 

22 hours ago, PSeggs said:

I've never caught a mack in CT. 

From the late 1960s until the early 1980s, mackerel runs were regular spring events in the western Sound, usually spanning most of the month of May, although sometimes you could find scattered fish well into June.  For much of the time, they were thick enough that, using the usual "Christmas Tree Rig" with four dropper hooks weighted with a diamond jig, you could frequently catch four or five at a time.

I used to fish out of Greenwich, and sometimes could hit good concentrations of fish in 30 or 40 feet of water off Greenwich Point, although most of the time we had to run into mid-Sound, often around 32A.  (Since we're talking about something that happened, at best 40 years ago, I'm not worrying about spot-burning here.)  

One of the most interresting things is that, right as each year's mackerel run tapered off, you could often catch weakfish in mid-Sound on the same rigs while searching for the remaining mackerel.

"I have always believed that outdoor writers who come out against fish and wildlife conservation are in the wrong business. To me, it makes as much sense golf writers coming out against grass.."  --  Ted Williams

1 hour ago, PaulS said:

When I was little in the 70s I can remember my neighbors bringing home trash cans full of Macks.  Thereafter we would have Macks and something for dinner:)

Yup, I used to do it in the 70's using scottie rigs with a diamond jig, would fill up a trash can and freeze them for bluefish bait and give some to the nuns. 

6 mins ago, DEM Parking Lot said:

Macks are tasty.  I'll take a bucket of those over Bass.

I can see why stripers and blues like to eat them.

They say mackerel is the healthiest fish you can eat. High in all that is good and low in all that isn't. 

I love them grilled with a sesame & soy glaze. 

Hearing you guys stories about garbage bags of macks makes me jealous. First that you could fill a garbage bag, second that the bag didn't break!  I can't even yank a bag outta the can with out it ripping these days

On 5/19/2024 at 2:07 PM, cheech said:

Fishing Mac’s with umbrella rigs was common in the sound 40-50 years ago. You would pull up 3-5 at a time.

Scotty Rigs...with either a bank sinker or small diamond jig on the bottom snap. Later in the season we'd use those same scotty rigs for blues. Late late season we'd catch tinker mackerel. Best bait I have ever used!.  Fishing back then. Just one of the reason the "70s were so awesome! Maybe filling up garbage cans full of macks, and I am guilty of it myself, is one of the reasons there's no longer macks around in numbers?Although a purse seine could catch way more in one haul than all of us here put together could catch in a lifetime. as far as eating them. YUCK. But maybe because mom didn't know how to cook them.