500 mi, 18hr. STRIPER SCOUT RUN=HERE THEY COME!!!

Rate this topic

Went looking for fish: MAINE:

Androscoggin outback=1 local 22in. Purple Worm and 1/2 chartruese bucktail

Kennebec/Ft Popham= no fish, no bait visible. Threw my whole bag but no inter

Two stops South of Portland(you know where)=outback schoolies chased Albie Snax, no hits, ocean front, nada.

NEW HAMPSHIRE: 

Salisbury=nada

N. side Merrimack River Outback: purple worm scored two local fish, sluggish and cold.

Mass: Merrimack outback and flats: first interest in top water: Smack-it Jr.

Plum Island open beach=wish I had a live eel. Felt and looked fishy but no fish.

Bypassed rt 95...traffic reports trump fish reports: SKIPPED RI and NY: Reports:full scale migration underway, 

NEW JERSEY:

Dog Beach, northside of Manasquan Inlet: Blue fish bonanza! 8-10 lb savages...fished in pouring with 20 others: everyone hooking up. NO BAIT VISIBLE, NO BASS.

N side Manasquan Jetty: one throwback fluke: Gulp and Chartruese Bucktail: No bait visible.                                                                                                                                                           

PT Pleasant side of Jetty= watched them catching blues across the inlet on Dog Beach: one bass bump on pearl Albie Snax on lee-side of Jetty from beach.                                           

Seside Heights=Herring Ave=Fish all sizes up to 40 in caught on clams: verified by sight.  I threw artificials and scored only a small blue on Hopkins.                                                                                              

South Seaside Park 21st Ave: Incoming north easter churned things up: Hungry packs of blues 8-10 lbs cruising beach: biggest white topwater plugs you got, no baiit.

BUT:Witnessed several STRIPERS up to 40 in caught on clams and bunker chunks fished in the wash and troughs all along IBSP.

19 hrs in, checked into beachside motel in South Seasside Park and hit the sack. Six hours later up to my waist on the flats behind Island Beach State Park: 8-12 lb monster blues all day on Big Docs and poppers, bigger the better.  Rained for three days, moderate NEwind but surf up, 6oz minimum lead. BUT: BASS in wash eating clams. These fish are running north looking for food. NO BUNKER present to keep them in one place.

CONCLUSION: BASS are leaving south Jersey, running strong from Raritan River and out in Long Island. VERIFIED:Rhode Island is turning on.

Motel messed up my reservation and I drove home to Maine or else would still be there. NJ forecaast: sunny and migrating stripers running north all week. BUT: Bait is the only thing catching: CLAMS and BUNKER. I even dunked a clam for the first time in many years. Skunked, shivering in the rain, I fed the seagulls all my leftover bait and that was that. 

ADVICE? Patience, Grasshopper...a few weeks before they come ashore north of Higgins. Head south if your Striper Jones is driving you to distraction. Today? I'm scouting Damarriscota area with my new 8ft Genesis and an Albie Snack to see what I can stir up. I truly wish I had the control to just wait it out with a hot latte: NETFLIX and CHILL with a warm body? I wish.

Edited by petespeak

That’s some dedication / determination!

Thanks for sharing.

My buddy has been getting nice fish in the lower CT River on plugs…. Same story - No bunker (errr, should I say, Pogies) anywhere. 

The Black Flag comes in many colorsM. Malice

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, jerseystriper said:

The jersey report is about spot on- no bunker and as a fly fisherman its been a dismal spring. Good luck in Maine 

I watched and talked to several striper fly-guys from Maine to NJ and not one has hooked up yet this season. I usually get lots of action on a teaser rig but nada. Only bait I saw in NJ were marsh minnows...however, I did see several dolphins chowing down on a school of stripers or blues...low light conditions made it difficult to identify the arm-length fish being tossed into the air and gobbled up. The moderate NE blow has settled down and the sun is due to blaze this week down there. I thought the wind and rain would have emptied the bay of blue fish, but instead of moving out to sea they moved north to Tice's shoal two days ago...I bet they are piled up behind the inlet on the IBSP and could be mixed up with straggler Chesapeake and Delaware River stripers making their way north. Next two weeks and it's all over until October. That's when ALL the stripers head north and spend the whole summer in my backyard up here in Maine. You know the stripers are here when you need to wipe the beach mosquitoes off your face  with a DEET-soaked rag.

Edited by petespeak

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, DeepWaters said:

That’s some dedication / determination!

Thanks for sharing.

My buddy has been getting nice fish in the lower CT River on plugs…. Same story - No bunker (errr, should I say, Pogies) anywhere. 

CT is a tough state to navigate for a guy chasing stripers...TRAFFIC!!! EVERYWHERE!!! It's always a white-knuckle stop and go except midnight until noon on Sat morning. Damn shame, but every year I creep down rt 84 in slow motion but don't even consider hopping on the rt. 95 "death drive" to get to the beach. Coming back is always a nightmare unless you drive early Sat morning. Headed back through CT this time had cruise control set to 80 and scored a record after driving that Godless stretch of road for 40 something years chasing stripers. But this time I got cutoff by a truck in a zero visibility deluge, missed the 495 N exit and ended up on 95 headed straight into Boston...yikes! But I encountered zero traffic, saved an hour, broke a thirty year driving record: 6hrs total from Seaside Park NJ to Midcoast Maine...that drive has taken 16 hrs a couple times...those are the days when the shoulder is littered with car wrecks, tow trucks and cop cars trying to keep things moving but not doing a very good job.

Edited by petespeak

1 hour ago, bdowning said:

^^Not to mention not much shore access compared to other states. 

If your not trespassing at least some of the time, you’re missing out lol 

Posted (edited)
On 5/20/2024 at 1:29 PM, DeepWaters said:

If your not trespassing at least some of the time, you’re missing out lol 

YES!!! Signs? Fences? Badges? "BADGES! We don't need no stinkin' badges!" Block my way to the beach? Yeah right! Ninja fishing is a thing: moonless, blackout midnight, full wetsuit: 55 years I've been invading beachfront property, slipping through the dunes down secret paths the homeowners have never seen.

Edited by petespeak

1 hour ago, petespeak said:

YES!!! Signs? Fences? Badges? "BADGES! We don't need no stinkin' badges!" Block my way to the beach? Yeah right! Ninja fishing is a thing: moonless, blackout midnight, full wetsuit: 55 years I've been invading beachfront property, slipping through the dunes down secret paths the homeowners have never seen.

Yup! You know the drill. 

I got a little too brazen a couple years ago at a very private spot. Stayed past sunrise and got busted. I had picked up a little bit of garbage so the security dude was kind of ok, but definitely not happy overall.