The Crozzbow Memorial "North of Portland" 2024 Fishing Report Thread...

Rate this topic

Now that our Professor Emeritus of Kayak Worm Trolling has left us, I still feel it important as an homage in his memory to keep his yearly thread going for those of us that fish "North" of Portland...

It seems the fish are in sold now for me, as I got 3 this AM 26 - 28" on my old school Creek Chub Striper Strike, the $6 popper that beats the crap out of the $20 ones.  Classic early season fishing, the fish either follow the plug and give you the "Middle Fin" or they crash it like they want to break it in half.  A total quantal experience, all or nothing!!

Hope the rest of you fishing the Northern areas are doing well!!  

Edited by Roccus7

Shall I go to heaven or a-fishing? - H. D. Thoreau

Veni.  Vidi.  Cepi. - with apologies to Gaius Julius Caesar

• Roccus7 changed the title to The Crozzbow Memorial "North of Portland" 2024 Fishing Report Thread...

Great to hear you are in fish Roccus!  Hope to be OTW this week.  Boat splashed but still some electrical demons to conquer.  I may walk and plug some estuaries this coming weekend if I’m not yet done with 12v madness 

cheers 

Jim 

[/sIGPIC]"Never let the truth spoil a good story"

3 hours ago, jimbighead said:

Great to hear you are in fish Roccus!  Hope to be OTW this week.  Boat splashed but still some electrical demons to conquer.  I may walk and plug some estuaries this coming weekend if I’m not yet done with 12v madness 

cheers 

Jim 

Hope you solved it Jim.  Had my minor electrical Gremlin, a bad battery end of the wash down pump ground.  Real quick, just jammed it between a few other ground wires at the battery and honked down on the securing nut...

Crap, got skunked this AM!!  There were only a few fish around and everyone but one, were content to make a wake behind the popper.  The one "oddball" fish actually hit the plug, but didn't hook up.

Yesterday was similar, but I had 2 hits, a 26" I boated and a very good fish, probably an over, that crashed the plug, but dropped off during its initial, screaming run...

just wrapped up a spring scouting run to NJ and fished a few spots along the way. I caught and observed bigger and more plentiful bass the further south I travelled, as would be expected. Local schoolie sized bass hit only plugs or blood worms. Bass on the move hit only clams or bunker chunks. The biggest fish were in the 40+in. This feeding behavior was consistent south to Island Beach State Park, NJ. Biggest suprise were the savage bluefish up to 12 lbs that took over the eastern shore of Barnegat Bay. Great fun..top water plugs exclusively, pearl or yellow, bigger the better. First serious bluefish bite in 25-30 years for me. But the news: big stripers have been heading north at a good clip, inhaling fresh clams and bunker chunks along the way. But no artificial action to speak of. Big fish in RI verified...but when I hit Plum Island last week in Mass. nothing happened for me: wrong place, wrong time? But I can say they are heading in our direction. I saw big fish, 40'+. Hope the cows don't get too fat and happy chowing on soft-shell lobster south of Portland and swim up past Higgins this year.

Edited by petespeak

On the On/Off schedule, skunk Monday, one 24" fish yesterday, and a brutal skunking this evening!!  Fish were gorging on alewives and had little interest in lures.  Had one cast were 4 or 5 large fish crashed the plug with no hookup, should have heard me screaming.  I got a few other short hits and a few follows.

I'm seriously considering taking up golf, my usual mantra when fishing sucks.  That usually entices Poseidon to throw me a bone...

And yes, he threw me a bone with 4 this AM, nothing big.  Only hit from a large fish was without a hookup.

Yeah, I'll be out again tomorrow...

Interesting morning. Yesterday's hot spot was dead, a single, uninspired follow. Neighbor texted me saying there were fish breaking off his dock. When I got there all was quite, but the first cast got rocked and the first bass of the morning, a 26" fish. Had a few short hits, lots of swirls and follows, but that was it for that spot.

Decided to go to the Honey Hole at the head of tide. Was pretty dead, but I started hearing the pops of bass slurping down alewives and looked behind me to see scattered slurpees about 400 yds away on the mud flats with about 2 ft of water at that time. Pulled up the hook and slowly made my way to the disturbance. Of course when I got there it was dead, and then the slurping started 2 cast lengths behind me!!!

Threw the engine in reverse and slowly backed up to calm water, of course. Figured WTH so I tossed a cast out to starboard and, you guessed it, a fish exploded to port, the story of my life. Kept casting and got rocked, and a feisty 26 fish who fought well over his pay grade was boated. Then next cast was also crashed, and a good-looking 28" fish got netted. It was time for me to head home so that was it, but a very well spent 90 minutes for sure.

Fun morning for my first outing of the season here in the North of Portland. Hit the next river south of me around 4:40 am, launched my kayak and immediately heard fish slurping in the current. First cast grabbed by a 28”er. It turned out the rest of the fish were pickier with a lot of casts landing on breaking fish with no strikes. But I still ended with a decent tally by the time I packed up around 6:30am: 3 24”, 1 26”, 3 27”, 1 more 28”, and a 29”.  

At one point I looked at my beat up popper with one broken treble, the other heavily bent, and fraying tail, and figured what the hell, I’ve already had a decent run, I’ll keep casting it. Of course it immediately got slammed and I was taken on a sleigh ride by the largest fish of the morning. I got it to close to the ‘yak in time to watch the ~30”+ fish effortlessly release itself from the damaged lure. Lesson learned! 

IMG_2206.jpeg.e624ab492a477ab1a21fa5092201da6a.jpeg

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, ill_postino said:

At one point I looked at my beat up popper with one broken treble, the other heavily bent, and fraying tail, and figured what the hell, I’ve already had a decent run, I’ll keep casting it.

Didn't I teach you that you have to replace those hooks pretty consistently?  Of course when you keep on doing that you have a lure that can no longer be repaired which did happen to me this AM.  The lure has had its hook's replaced 3 times, only to have the front hook swivel fail today:

image.png.2bd571fb3b869db2c945e84873c5bae4.png

I like to claim that I don't lose lures, I wear them out, and this AM in the river next to the one you fished, I assume, was a real humdinger, 10 26" fish, 28, 29 & a really fat 33 below!  It was an epic morning for sure!!

image.png.be471fbfb64496a6f2dacf62600a15c7.png

Edited by Roccus7

5 hours ago, Roccus7 said:

Didn't I teach you that you have to replace those hooks pretty consistently?  Of course when you keep on doing that you have a lure that can no longer be repaired which did happen to me this AM.  The lure has had its hook's replaced 3 times, only to have the front hook swivel fail today:

0?ui=2&ik=ad51930c6b&attid=0.1&permmsgid=msg-a:r2215694304623424875&th=18fb05c964e800f1&view=fimg&fur=ip&sz=s0-l75-ft&attbid=ANGjdJ9VvaqmAsYk5WrizEnPCS4jjvqsPGFsB7afzeXy-gS_Eo2mLzW2xGNAoC7Pcw6fm91cG8EdcsyaZ7yZosocM9QCeMSl1rWhbvOUIAA1scqqQJ6Mbo5qWgT4hcU&disp=emb&realattid=10EF2346-4F2E-4446-AC4D-97BB52BBA951

I like to claim that I don't lose lures, I wear them out, and this AM in the river next to the one you fished, I assume, was a real humdinger, 10 26" fish, 28, 29 & a really fat 33 below!  It was an epic morning for sure!!

0?ui=2&ik=ad51930c6b&attid=0.1&permmsgid=msg-a:r-5352070801575444656&th=18fb064710ec3e71&view=fimg&fur=ip&sz=s0-l75-ft&attbid=ANGjdJ8RgYP1obFfg29aG9AIo1cDx6DHmDEmWFF-GzE_01GB5qh6TSYotaoFcjGBRAeQHEju58mDlytd1nl8lLeiMJXm9klyiZLQRFVyLa2QLwMM5nUJkoMSR0NA9KM&disp=emb&realattid=57F9AB99-02D4-4A89-9E88-FBDD1839FCE3

Pictures didn't come through (for me anyways).

2 hours ago, bdowning said:

Yeah they're broken links. 

3 hours ago, Skunkoff said:

Pictures didn't come through (for me anyways).

Should be fixed...