South Shore Backwater Bass

Rate this topic

jsto

I was fishing an incoming tide 9-12 pm, waxing gibbous moon, and pretty calm conditions at a south shore of MA back bay area yesterday. There were plenty of sounds pertaining to bass and herring along the edge of the marsh. The fish were solid sized and few and far between, only eating white metal lip plugs. Any advice on how to better fish this scenario because I definitely think I underperformed based on the amount of fish activity.(I am not as experienced fishing South Shore of MA and usually fish South Cape so relatively unsure how to be more effective in this scenario or others like it)

Perhaps large rubber shads(6-12 inches) without weight casted out and drifting into the action zone or lightly weighted doing the same.

3/4 oz leadheads could help,I have done it many times with leadheads of that weight.

Is there a medium speed current?

Also maybe a senile type lure in shad or herring color.

HH

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter

An armed man is a citizen,,,an unarmed man is a subject,,,,,,,,

Subsurface plugs would be my 1st choice early spring.

But then, in particular to your case.. I’d be “walking the dog” when they get picky as mentioned - with a pencil or plug.

^^^Water is warm-enough now where topwater can make the difference with school’n baitfish around the shallows.  There’s a lot of good Saltwater plugs out there.. sure you have some that would work.

Stay away from poppers, when they’re this “thick”.. and choose a plug like a SkitterWalk, etc.

The right retrieve & pitch is the deal-breaker.. but you also need a nice

mod-rated rod to achieve the perfect presentation.

Do you have a topwater rod?

On 5/18/2024 at 12:51 PM, StealthModes said:

Subsurface plugs would be my 1st choice early spring.

But then, in particular to your case.. I’d be “walking the dog” when they get picky as mentioned - with a pencil or plug.

^^^Water is warm-enough now where topwater can make the difference with school’n baitfish around the shallows.  There’s a lot of good Saltwater plugs out there.. sure you have some that would work.

Stay away from poppers, when they’re this “thick”.. and choose a plug like a SkitterWalk, etc.

The right retrieve & pitch is the deal-breaker.. but you also need a nice

mod-rated rod to achieve the perfect presentation.

Do you have a topwater rod?

They didn't want any of my pencils and refused all spooks ranging from tiny skitterwalks to the 9 inch doc. I tried a variety of retrieves on them but still the fish only wanted shallow metal lip plugs and a loaded redfin, which is fine considering they worked enough to catch decent numbers of bass, especially when I returned the next day. (I was fishing a 9 foot surf rod that walks the dog pretty easily even on heavier plugs but can throw small stuff well too)

Use a 7ft freshwater bass rod with 20lb braid and a 3 ft leader of florocarbon leader. Belson B/T in Scituate has the perfect lures for where you are fishing, look for the box at the counter:)

3 mins ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

I personally think a freshwater rod is a poor choice for stripers.

We should try not to fight these fish until exhaustion. 

Thank You!

Tight Lines and High Tides Forever! mtl50

Try the Storm Shad in 5” bunker. You just might be surprised! 

Tight Lines and High Tides Forever! mtl50

Good thread. I've been fishing the same area without luck. I've tried all Duffy stages of the tide. During the day though. Everything in my bag. No luck yet. 

2 mins ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

Night-time is the right time :wave:

Yes. But apparently someone got stabbed there a few weeks ago. Our mutual friend knows him. I'm skipping nights for a bit. Lots of homeless there.