Environmental police seize poached striped bass

Rate this topic

Environmental police seize poached striped bass, donate to local food pantry

May 17, 2024

NEWBURYPORT — Environmental Police Officers confiscated several hundred pounds of illegally possessed striped bass last night, poached from a restricted area near the Merrimack River dam.

Two individuals were arrested in connection with the poaching incident, while authorities also issued four civil citations and a criminal summons.

The quick response of the Environmental Police prevented the sale of the illicit catch and underscored the enforcement of regulations designed to protect local fish populations.

In a notable act of community service, one Environmental Police Officer took the initiative to filet the impounded fish, which were then donated to a local food pantry and shelter, ensuring the seized bass did not go to waste.

The Massachusetts Environmental Police commended the officers involved for their diligent efforts in both upholding conservation law and contributing to the welfare of the community.

The operation is a reminder of the ongoing commitment to prevent illegal fishing activities and support sustainable practices within the state’s natural resources.

1 min ago, MarcusH said:

A picture is worth 1000 words…

IMG_4022.jpeg

That's about how many fish I saw kept on the canal yesterday morning.   An EPO drove right by and never even slowed down.  Just saying.  Nothing to see here, go about your business.

The Sultan of Sluggo

47 mins ago, gray gables said:

Why not flag him down and say something. 

Not looking to be a smart ***, but what could I possibly do, chase him in my car?   

They know what's going on and where it's happening. They just choose no to  see it.  Been watching this go on for 5 years. It's not worth wearing my arteries out over.

The Sultan of Sluggo

10 mins ago, bob_G said:

Not looking to be a smart ***, but what could I possibly do, chase him in my car?   

They know what's going on and where it's happening. They just choose no to  see it.  Been watching this go on for 5 years. It's not worth wearing my arteries out over.

If the MA EPO don’t know don’t expect them to intervene. We should be encouraging people to report illegal take of striped bass. 

(800) 632-8075

4 mins ago, bob_G said:

This is just pure conjecture and supposition on my part, but I would not be the least surprised to discover that those who adjudicate canal fishing violations at Falmouth District Court, have made it clear to the canal EPO’s to minimize as much as possible bringing canal fishing violations into the court system. 

Just now, Joe G said:

This is just pure conjecture and supposition on my part, but I would not be the least surprised to discover that those who adjudicate canal fishing violations at Falmouth District Court, have made it clear to the canal EPO’s to minimize as much as possible bringing canal fishing violations into the court system. 

Joe,

I absolutely agree.  Ive thought the same myself.    

The Sultan of Sluggo