Y’all’s casting/fishing distance in the surf?

Rate this topic

I’ve never fished where most folks fish on this forum and I feel like y’all deal with wind better than I do here on the surf. How much line are y’all typically casting SH?  I’m feeling tapped out at 60’. 

thigh deep in water with any wind its tough to beat 60'.  My view, if fish are in close 60' is plenty.  If fish are not in close they are way too far out to reach with a fly rod ( usually 200' +) .  I have never been in a blind casting situation where throwing an extra 20' made a difference.

Sight fishing off a skiff is a different story.  If you can do 75' accurately you are ready for 98% situations.  

I have fished around a lot of people for a long time.  I have seen very few who can throw 100' accurately in an actual fishing conditions.

I consider myself a very good caster and i would say my specs are without a wind variable

blind casting wading knee deep 65'

blind casting ankle deep 80'

blind casting skiff 95'

sight fishing accurate knee deep 55'

sight fishing  accurate ankle deep 65'

sight fisshing accurate skiff 70'ish. ( my accuracy starts to suffer 75' and over)

Edited by mightyrime

numbskul I pretty much go with. Perhaps even more Conservative. A measured 90 feet is a huge cast over grass where we can choose our wind direction. I don't know many who can achieve it.

Any kind of head wind will shorten a cast. 80 feet over grass is a good bench mark.

Mike

Most days I can hit 80' consistently from knee deep water with a 40' head line and 3 false casts. Head wind takes a bit off, but a wind in my right ear takes off more as I wind up altering my cast to minimize ear piercings. But most places I fish are relatively flat beaches where the water drops off at around 50-60' at the tides I prefer to fish so even though I'd love to throw 90'+ I don't feel like it's a big handicap for me. 

numbskul I pretty much go with. Perhaps even more Conservative. A measured 90 feet is a huge cast over grass where we can choose our wind direction. I don't know many who can achieve it.

Any kind of head wind will shorten a cast. 80 feet over grass is a good bench mark.

Mike

Stormy wind on casting shoulder side is the worst. You probably know the technique of turning away from the sea and delivering on your back cast. If you keep the cast the same and don't try and force it on the delivery ue the back cast youncan get very good results. The alternative is to learn how to cross body where we can expect a loss in range but it's safe. Belgian casts never work for me long range wise. Mike

I didn’t say this in the initial post but our prevailing winds mean it is almost always a backcast fishing the surf.  Most times solo on the skiff I’m as much presenting backhand as forward. I appreciate the insight from the group.   I think I’ll always have more work I can put into casting. 

Used to be able to dump a full line on a field when I was younger. On the water I'm guessing it's 60-70' with good conditions.

"A GAMEFISH (which striped bass should be) Is too valuable to be caught only once"...Lee Wulff

When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty" - Thomas Jefferson

"I'm from the government, and I'm here to help." Most dangerous words in the English language...Ronald Reagan

Knee deep vs. waist deep vs. off a skiff makes a huge difference.   Probably better off going 2 handed or single hand spey so it's easier on your shoulder.

On the lawn I can usually do 80-90 - not every cast but a large majority.  I once threw the whole line with a 7wt BVK & Wulff TT floating. Of course that was 1 cats our of like  100 on that day. For me, minimizing false casting is paramount as I find that I easily get into the one more false cast trap & my cast blows up.

Up here when I wade I usually use either Titan or OBS lines - 1 roll cast to get some some line & 1 false cast that's it. In FL due to the slope of the beach & not being able to wade (waves & 1st trough) I have to force myself to do more of an overhand cast vs. my usual belgian cast I use up in CT.

Just my .02

On my 4th season, lessons have been helping me mostly with efficiency.

Casting distance is very conditional but on the water there is always a penalty and I agree with all the notes.  Wet line and stripping baskets produce more friction and can rob distance from our casts.  I also generally find more line tangling on the water, where there is none in the back yard.

My practical radius is 60 feet in light wind, every now and then I will pop out an 80 footer.

Mike Oliver sums up fly casting distance - 90 feet is a long cast and 80 feet consistently over grass is a realistic casting distance.

Wading, wind, waves cuts obtainable fly casting distance greatly.

I hear about guys throwing the whole fly line, but I can not remember ever seeing it on the water. The only time for me to throw out most of the fly line is standing on a high rock with the wind coming from behind, quartering left to right, throwing heavy sinking line, chuck and duck style.     

Edited by fishstu
missed word

5 hours ago, Mike Oliver said:

Stormy wind on casting shoulder side is the worst. You probably know the technique of turning away from the sea and delivering on your back cast. If you keep the cast the same and don't try and force it on the delivery ue the back cast youncan get very good results. The alternative is to learn how to cross body where we can expect a loss in range but it's safe. Belgian casts never work for me long range wise. Mike

Fishing the backcast is a necessity oftentimes. Actually it's a great thing to practice - I had to deliver a dry fly across a stream and get it under a tree last week and the flora required me to do it on the backcast. Only trout I could find eating lil bastid. Took a couple tries but I got the drift I wanted eventually. I'd rather have made that cast lefty but I just can't get that to work for me.

The biggest limitation IMO is line in the water. A normal cast for me is to start above the water line with the stripped out line in the sand beside me, then advance toward the water line (timing the wave as it goes out). The retrieve I then strip and back peddle out of the water which has the added bonus of keeping the fly moving with a one hand strip. Wash, rinse, repeat.