Storing line long term

Rate this topic

Hey all,

so just like many people, I’m sure, I suffer from GAD (gear acquisition disorder), and have accumulated lots of line (braided, fluoro & mono) that I really liked, once I tried it. 

I was wondering if any of you are aware of any issues that I should be aware of, when storing any of these lines long term. 
I found some of my dad’s old mono, and it appears somewhat degraded, though it could just be some cheaper mono that was never great to begin with. 

Curious to hear your thoughts. 

39 mins ago, DinkWrangler said:

Hey all,

so just like many people, I’m sure, I suffer from GAD (gear acquisition disorder), and have accumulated lots of line (braided, fluoro & mono) that I really liked, once I tried it. 

I was wondering if any of you are aware of any issues that I should be aware of, when storing any of these lines long term. 
I found some of my dad’s old mono, and it appears somewhat degraded, though it could just be some cheaper mono that was never great to begin with. 

Curious to hear your thoughts. 

Is it degraded or just dirty from sitting so long? I have had mono and braid that is multiple years old and havn't had any issues with it. How long are we talking?

12 mins ago, Richard_the_Aughth said:

Is it degraded or just dirty from sitting so long? I have had mono and braid that is multiple years old and havn't had any issues with it. How long are we talking?

I’m not sure how long it’s been, but my guess is about 15 years at least. 
It just doesn’t feel as smooth as other mono line I have, though it could just be cheaper mono. I have some Chinese cheapo fluoro that feels kind of similar - not very smooth when you pull it through the fingers while squeezing it. 

Technology has come far so no point in keeping cheap old line.

High quality old line will last near forever so long as you keep it away from light and heat

I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries --

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

Social Distancing since 1962

Get a sealed plastic bin (think food container or similar that will make an air-tight seal), and toss in couple humidity control packs in there (i.e. the water absorbing packs). You should be good if you store it in a relatively stable temperature area (think in a closet in a temperature controlled house, or a basement). I would avoid keeping it in a garage or attic that sees large swings in temperatures and I would also keep it out direct sunlight.

The humidity packs may be overkill for some people. The concept is that the braid and mono will over time absorb humidity and deteriorate. You can get bulk reusable humidity absorption beads cheap on amazon (like 2 pounds of reusable color indicating moisture/humidty control beads for like $15 on amazon).

9 hours ago, FallenKell said:

Get a sealed plastic bin (think food container or similar that will make an air-tight seal), and toss in couple humidity control packs in there (i.e. the water absorbing packs). You should be good if you store it in a relatively stable temperature area (think in a closet in a temperature controlled house, or a basement). I would avoid keeping it in a garage or attic that sees large swings in temperatures and I would also keep it out direct sunlight.

The humidity packs may be overkill for some people. The concept is that the braid and mono will over time absorb humidity and deteriorate. You can get bulk reusable humidity absorption beads cheap on amazon (like 2 pounds of reusable color indicating moisture/humidty control beads for like $15 on amazon).

What he said,,,,,,

I have spools of mono that are  at least that old in one of my  4 gallon totes that's full of line,I tested some of them and it's fine, all are still wrapped in their original shrink plastic wraps,no problems at all 

I even have a spool of stren clear/blue that's perfectly fine,has to be 20 years old now.

HH

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter

An armed man is a citizen,,,an unarmed man is a subject,,,,,,,,