Issues with NB bottle darter

Rate this topic

Hey guys, 

I picked up a NB bottle darter Jr and am having issues with it riding on the surface after I get into the retrieve. It will dig for a few cranks but then will pop up to the surface. I am fishing a tidle river and thought the current will help it dig but even if I cheat the cast down river it keeps running to the surface. A friend fishes the larger size and has no issues with the plug staying down. Not sure if I'm an idiot or if I got a dud. Appreciate any insite

Edited by Bakedpotato1220

I have 3 of them, they all swim the same,

Not sure if they are the size you mentioned but they are 7 inches long.

They float horizontal,test yours,if it floats ass down,it may have a lead placement problem or even a leak.

HH

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter

An armed man is a citizen,,,an unarmed man is a subject,,,,,,,,

18 hours ago, Bakedpotato1220 said:

Hey guys, 

I picked up a NB bottle darter Jr and am having issues with it riding on the surface after I get into the retrieve. It will dig for a few cranks but then will pop up to the surface. I am fishing a tidle river and thought the current will help it dig but even if I cheat the cast down river it keeps running to the surface. A friend fishes the larger size and has no issues with the plug staying down. Not sure if I'm an idiot or if I got a dud. Appreciate any insite

Try tip down and give a few hard cranks to get it to dig

11 hours ago, Bakedpotato1220 said:

I ran it with 125TA& 75ta clip and tied direct same problem, Using 40 as leader- 3 foot and 40 braid for mainline. I am thinking it is a dud because it sinks ass end first. tried slow retrieve, fast same problems.

Either a leak or it has a touch too much lead,I'd return it 

HH

On 5/17/2024 at 8:57 AM, Bakedpotato1220 said:

I ran it with 125TA& 75ta clip and tied direct same problem, Using 40 as leader- 3 foot and 40 braid for mainline. I am thinking it is a dud because it sinks ass end first. tried slow retrieve, fast same problems.

A number of us on here were sold defective plugs.

He has someone make these using a mold with 4 clamps.  He explained to me that each of the 4 clamps need to be extremely tight when it’s made - otherwise it won’t be totally sealed and the plug will take on water.

I reached out to him and he took care of it, although I haven’t tested the replacements.  

I usually load all of mine. Sometimes if they act like that the fish will eat it even more. At times I’ll cast it out and try and pencil it for a few cranks and then try to get it to dig in. My pb came from this lure just thumping in the current.

As was previously mentioned, I would check for water intrusion. I started a thread a little while ago because I was experiencing leaks with multiple plugs from NB and they did exactly what you described. I would give it a good shake and listen for any water in it. The hook hangers are usually the weak points.

Thank you all for the feedback, I think it is a dud, The lead seems to be wedged in the ass of the plug so I am going to add it to the wall and move on. Picked up some deep metal lips so those are going in its place. Good luck out there and tight lines everyone! Appreciate all the help on my first post here, great community 

On 5/16/2024 at 3:09 PM, Bakedpotato1220 said:

Hey guys, 

What did you do?,how'd you make out?

HH