No Bass, and dropped a first time, personal best...

Rate this topic

No Bass in 'da hood yet. However, I'm seriously concerned about the local osprey population. In 15 seasons here I've only had an osprey momentarily hover over my popper maybe 4 times and one time one hovered for a long while, making me wonder if there was actually a bass looking at it, the object of the bird's attention. Turns out I was correct at that time, as a second after my hypothesis was proved correct, as a bass did crash the plug...

Well this morning, the seemingly invincibility of the osprey's visual acuity was totally destroyed, as one came crashing down, actually grabbed my plug and flew off with it. It wasn't until I pulled back that he realized it wasn't a suitable dinner and dropped the plug. Now I'd like to think it must be my exquisite lure presentation that fooled this seemingly perfect avian fisher, but reality dictates that I consider alternate, more reasonable options such as a genetic defect or somebody had gotten into THC-laced edibles...

Shall I go to heaven or a-fishing? - H. D. Thoreau

Veni.  Vidi.  Cepi. - with apologies to Gaius Julius Caesar

1 hour ago, Roccus7 said:

No Bass in 'da hood yet. However, I'm seriously concerned about the local osprey population. In 15 seasons here I've only had an osprey momentarily hover over my popper maybe 4 times and one time one hovered for a long while, making me wonder if there was actually a bass looking at it, the object of the bird's attention. Turns out I was correct at that time, as a second after my hypothesis was proved correct, as a bass did crash the plug...

Well this morning, the seemingly invincibility of the osprey's visual acuity was totally destroyed, as one came crashing down, actually grabbed my plug and flew off with it. It wasn't until I pulled back that he realized it wasn't a suitable dinner and dropped the plug. Now I'd like to think it must be my exquisite lure presentation that fooled this seemingly perfect avian fisher, but reality dictates that I consider alternate, more reasonable options such as a genetic defect or somebody had gotten into THC-laced edibles...

Join the club.  Saw an osprey and an eagle today.  They both minded their business.  

Edited by Skunkoff

2 hours ago, punkroktownie said:

Saw my first osprey dive-bomb today, here in S. Maine. Quite a sight.

It always amazes me that those birds can hit the water that fast, from so high up, and come out of it completely fine

The Black Flag comes in many colorsM. Malice

Had one pick up a popper under the light in Montauk.  Fortunately dropped it or I'd have been strung up by the birdwatchers up on the bluff.  

Edited by richs
No more skunks. Maybe you didn't hear about it, you been gone a long time. 

13 hours ago, BravoOneThreeDelta said:

Was down at the canal over the weekend, and a someone lost a floating plug, and a Osprey started circling it as I was trying snag it and twice it started to dive on it but pulled up once it got writhing 3ft of it

I’ve definitely had them do that same thing a couple times, abort last second. 

I’ve never been tangled up with one though. Seagulls and cormorants are a different story. Countless wrestling matches lol

The Black Flag comes in many colorsM. Malice