Skunked twice and questions??

Rate this topic

Chunked twice yesterday am and pm with not a sign of bait, fish, birds or seals. The water was clear and looked like a desert”bare” of anything. Water was colder inside at 47 to surf at 51 so no reason to come unless a food source available. Rare to see this, Captains are seeing bait and fish to jetty heads? Did get a few dink schoolies on flyrod by jetties, but too much work for me. Normally the harbor and estuaries load up first, then late June move north. Maybe just harbor dredge and the continuing new dock additions? Sand eels are a memory ?

I spent a couple hours in the harbor yesterday. Haven't fished in there since like 1995, things sure are different. I did see birds on something but I didn't see anything in the water and sure didn't hook anything. Beautiful morning to get some early practice casting in though. Looks like a week of warm temps next week, should be enough to fire things up.

On 5/16/2024 at 9:31 AM, RAW said:

Chunked twice yesterday am and pm with not a sign of bait, fish, birds or seals. The water was clear and looked like a desert”bare” of anything. Water was colder inside at 47 to surf at 51 so no reason to come unless a food source available. Rare to see this, Captains are seeing bait and fish to jetty heads? Did get a few dink schoolies on flyrod by jetties, but too much work for me. Normally the harbor and estuaries load up first, then late June move north. Maybe just harbor dredge and the continuing new dock additions? Sand eels are a memory ?

Seeing sand eels (and terns) on the North Shore in Mass and sand eel imitations have been the ticket lately. Not all dinks either. I don't fish Maine enough to know if sand eels are much of a thing there vs. other baits like herring. It may simply be that it's all just starting...

Pfantum Pfishah

7 hours ago, bdowning said:

Seeing sand eels (and terns) on the North Shore in Mass and sand eel imitations have been the ticket lately. Not all dinks either. I don't fish Maine enough to know if sand eels are much of a thing there vs. other baits like herring. It may simply be that it's all just starting...

Sand eels are definitely a thing in Maine.

5 hours ago, Skunkoff said:

Sand eels are definitely a thing in Maine.

Depends on where you are.  Maybe down south, but with mostly ledge and little sand, they're not a thing along the Midcoast.  

This from a boy who grew up on LI, NY seeing acres of sand eels being gorged on by stripers, blues, weakfish and fluke, and spending hours cleaning up the ones on the boat that were spit up by those fish.

Edited by Roccus7

Shall I go to heaven or a-fishing? - H. D. Thoreau

Veni.  Vidi.  Cepi. - with apologies to Gaius Julius Caesar

1 hour ago, Roccus7 said:

Depends on where you are.  Maybe down south, but with mostly ledge and little sand, they're not a thing along the Midcoast.  

This from a boy who grew up on LI, NY seeing acres of sand eels being gorged on by stripers, blues, weakfish and fluke, and spending hours cleaning up the ones on the boat that were spit up by those fish.

Good point

Been out a couple times, river & ocean, casted out the whole hardware store including the plastics division. NADA.

Edited by Livliner

(*member formerly known as 'garycunn)'

Found the fish today, brrr north wind about 30 knots, couple hrs before low tide. Birds working on rain bait plenty of it. Get to the water birds right in front of me, if only there were fish. Then some swirls & rolls, I’ll be damned the stripers on rain bait. Reach into my bag for the small stuff, tins, flies & plastic. No go, look for smaller stuff, down to mackeral type flies, teasers with tins. No go, fish still there going on 30 mins. Still there trying everything I got, I prepared for this ahead of time. The whole hardware store was tossed at them, including the plastic & rubber division, even my fly department saw some action. Wind be damned, this is only 10 to 30 ft in front of me. 

NO TAKERS NOT A ONE.

Guess they were keyed in on rain bait. Thats it. Didn’t have anything smaller for a better presentation. Clear water, maybe 20lb mono leader too visible. Definite stripers in the 24” range lots of them. A good sign going forward

Edited by Livliner

(*member formerly known as 'garycunn)'

Hey I got a question for the group. 

Are you allowed to catch river herring and use them as bait in New Hampshire? I didn’t think that was allowed. It sure wasn’t, and still isn’t where I grew up. 

The reason I ask is I saw 2 guys doing that exact thing today. Broad daylight with plenty of people around. If illegal, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a fishing violation so brazen. They had not a care in the world. 

Good news was the herring were in thick. Tens of thousands of them. 

The Black Flag comes in many colorsM. Malice