Z Belt

Rate this topic

70bbvette

Good concept but I don’t like the design and construction. Buckle is not easy to undo especially if you wear it tight. I like to be able to take my belt off with one hand quickly for convenience and potentially for safety sake. The webbing is not nearly as rigid and or durable as other quality belts. The velcro doesn’t hold up well either. And if you like to wear your bag  on your belt (through the belt loops on the bag) you’ll find that you can’t swing the bag far enough around to fully access the bag. I like to be able to swing my bag all the way around in front of me. Back support is nice, but functionality and durability are more important to me. I would recommend a flatlander or a commando if you can get your hands on one…. I’d love to see a flatlander belt with back support. 

"just one more cast... she's out there, I KNOW IT!"

I personally really like the zbelt. It has been so much more comfortable for my lower back. It's not perfect but it's worth it to me. Like fishfinder said, the buckle isn't great and the velco isn't the best well but I believe he will repair for free if you have an issue. You can't swing your bag around on it but even with the belt on tight I am able to swing the whole thing to get the bag where I need it. 

I have two belt setups, one with the standard Z-belt and another with a heavy duty police style belt. I much prefer the z-belt, i find it very comfortable and has much less strain on the back when using a heavy bag filled, and is very nice to swing bags around with the double belt configuration. As others have pointed out, the major downfall is not being able to swing bags around fully, but the pros greatly outway this con in my opinion. The issue with the other style belt is that swinging bags around they get hung up on your waders, so the one pro to that style belt isn't even a clear benefit. 

One thing that has helped with the zbelt is that one side has more swing to it than the other (the left side) where you can get you bag behind your back the right side stops towards the rear of your hip, so I have my left side configured with a Gear Up 2-Tube bag and a Gear Up 1-Tube (this makes things more comfortable so its not a single wide bag) that I can swing to my back, then my right side I use a Gear Up bucktail pouch, pliers sheath and a D-ring, all of these are lower profile and since you can't get them behind your back I find that the lower profile items on the right side eliminate any interference with your arm.

as to your question of slim vs standard, I chose the standard as I wanted a wider profile for the base of the belt for more back support as well as to create a wider base so when swinging bags around they wouldn't hang up on bulky waders.

Edited by Italianbuca

35 mins ago, fishfinderct said:

Security/law enforcement/corrections belts are also a cheap option from the auction site that starts with an E IMG_5872.png.94c5805add9c2573e8f1eab8b41432d7.png

I do have one of these.I like on the  Z belt how you can put a bag on the belt and it doesn’t come in contact with your waders causing wear marks when you swing it around.

21 mins ago, 70bbvette said:

I do have one of these.I like on the  Z belt how you can put a bag on the belt and it doesn’t come in contact with your waders causing wear marks when you swing it around.

I like that too but it doesn’t swing far enough for me. Time for a 3rd generation zbelt imo

"just one more cast... she's out there, I KNOW IT!"

Buddy of mine recently had to replace his boga and pliers when the Velcro system on his Z belt failed in the surf. For walking sandy beaches Z's are probably nice enough. For more technical casting, rockhopping or wetsuiting I would look elsewhere. Preferably at a web style dive belt with a quality stainless locking dive buckle for positive retention.

Chasing false echoes

Send lawyers, guns, and money - Zevon

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - Thompson 

DITCH TROLL 333

42 mins ago, Sandbar1 said:

Buddy of mine recently had to replace his boga and pliers when the Velcro system on his Z belt failed in the surf. For walking sandy beaches Z's are probably nice enough. For more technical casting, rockhopping or wetsuiting I would look elsewhere. Preferably at a web style dive belt with a quality stainless locking dive buckle for positive retention.

Enough said

I've had the standard belt for 4 years now, and love it. Very little signs of wear. It has great back support, and is easy to adjust with the roller buckle. Personally I don't carry a bag on the belt because it feels awkward and adds too much weight.  No tools should be attached to the velcro, it's just for fit adjustment. The web belt is stitched on one end and threaded through a buckle on the other end.  If the velcro does wear he will repair it for free. 

14 hours ago, steveo905 said:

If the velcro does wear he will repair it for free. 

3M makes a product called "Dual Lock". I have no idea if it would be suitable for surfbags, The product adheres to itself along the lines of Velcro, is plastic, heavier but does not retain water. I've been using it a couple of years now on non-fishing related projects, may be worth a look. Looks like it may last longer since there are no hooks or loops (so to speak)

I use the slim Z belt.

I find it to provide a lot of lower back support while letting me move my bag back far enough to get it out of the way for casting.

If you run the belt through the buckle properly there should be very little tension on the velcro.

I've had no issues in that regard, and occasionally use the belt with a 4 tube Gear Up bag on the left side.

I originally used a heavy webbing dive belt type of belt but went to the Z-belt for comfort and versatility.

image.jpeg.38815c82d579e1ae89346d5a3c36c780.jpeg

I've had mine for quite a few years now, at least 5, probably a few years longer. I haven't had any problems with the velcro yet, unless it was clogged with fine seaweed. I fish boulder fields, and often swim out to the rocks that I fish from. The Z belt holds my plug bag securely when swimming through waves. It also allows me to fish hours longer than I used to without my back issues shortening my night. I rarely fish with my other setups now.