Small Outboard Engine Repair

Rate this topic

Does anyone know of a shop that services small engines on the South Shore of MA? I have an old Sears Kingfisher with very very low hours but it has been idle for several years and needs a tune up and TLC. Any info would be great....Thanks

38 mins ago, StickinLips said:

Does anyone know of a shop that services small engines on the South Shore of MA? I have an old Sears Kingfisher with very very low hours but it has been idle for several years and needs a tune up and TLC. Any info would be great....Thanks

It's more of the fee for going over them. Marina charges a $x fee (hours) to go over a 60hp outboard the same as a 5 HP. So if you are willing to pay, there are Marina that might touch it. Most of the time customer don't want to pay $300 to service a outboard that worth $50.

Don’t do what I did; drop a 4hp Yamaha off at the local marina for a fuel/ carb issue because I forgot to run it dry.  I had paid $500 for a decent used motor.  The new carb and labor cost me ~ $500.   This marina and others near me told me their mechanics don’t mess around cleaning carbs and as a policy just replace them.  Sold the 4hp a couple years later but had similar issues with a 9.9 Mercury during covid.  Watched lots of YouTube videos(some are much better than others) and rebuilt the carb with oem parts from boats.net. Chances are that there is a YouTube video on your motor doing just what you need.  Old guy backyard mechanics are getting scarce.

6 hours ago, JohnDe said:

Don’t do what I did; drop a 4hp Yamaha off at the local marina for a fuel/ carb issue because I forgot to run it dry.  I had paid $500 for a decent used motor.  The new carb and labor cost me ~ $500.   This marina and others near me told me their mechanics don’t mess around cleaning carbs and as a policy just replace them.  Sold the 4hp a couple years later but had similar issues with a 9.9 Mercury during covid.  Watched lots of YouTube videos(some are much better than others) and rebuilt the carb with oem parts from boats.net. Chances are that there is a YouTube video on your motor doing just what you need.  Old guy backyard mechanics are getting scarce.

^^^^ This. Exactly. 2 stroke are easy to look at and service if you can use a screw driver. Not hard to learn from youtube videos. Even if they don't have the exact model, most Johnson or Evinrude are very similar for close to 25 years on their design. It will take some time to learn tho for sure. Especially you are only having carb issue. Then it's just taking apart the carb and clean it out. Maybe replace the gasket that that's about it. 

Edited by foxfai