Spool diameter relative to guide diameter

Rate this topic

Greetings from NYC,

I have been working on my first serious rod setup to start backbay/shore bucktailing and plugging and came to the conclusion that my casting technique sucks azz.

At the moment I'm playing with a 8.8 AWE with a 4500 BG.

While practicing casting I started to question the relation of the spool diameter relative to guide diameter, and how much of a factor may be towards casting distance.
Specifically, wouldn't the line coming off a larger the spool contact the guides (especially the first couple of guides) differently than a smaller spool? .. With the wider line pattern coming off a wider spool resulting in more drag/friction on the line when contacting the first couple of guides, which would effect overall distance?

Thanks 

I think this was the evolution of my dunning Kruger experience:

1.   larger the spool - the larger the loops coming off the reel meaning “more line per loop” or “less loops” so that’s better. 
  2. But the spool should probably “match” a spec to the stripper guide in size and distance from the reel. Cone of flight makes sense. 
  3. Damn, those Fuji k concept things look pretty & Japanese engineered! Slow mo amazing 
  4. Then I heard amazing things about the Zenaq guide system. Small inner diameter guides higher from the blank. Slow mo even more amazing 
  5. a thread here in the main reminded me of some older rods with fewer gigantic guides I used to get crazy distances on. (Absolutely no credit to @hobobob) ;-)
  6. I know nothing. I scrambled my brain. 

Here’s an image to get your noodle cooking while you wait for the actual experts to weigh in. ;-)

IMG_2295.jpeg

18 hours ago, pelhambaycc said:

Greetings from NYC,

I have been working on my first serious rod setup to start backbay/shore bucktailing and plugging and came to the conclusion that my casting technique sucks azz.

At the moment I'm playing with a 8.8 AWE with a 4500 BG.

While practicing casting I started to question the relation of the spool diameter relative to guide diameter, and how much of a factor may be towards casting distance.
Specifically, wouldn't the line coming off a larger the spool contact the guides (especially the first couple of guides) differently than a smaller spool? .. With the wider line pattern coming off a wider spool resulting in more drag/friction on the line when contacting the first couple of guides, which would effect overall distance?

Thanks 

Absolutely esp with mono, much less with braided lines.

Rod length plays a part as well.

Just any reel on a rod doesn't work best.

When I was a young guy we always had our first guide larger than the spool and then came the first Fuji guides that changed it some so we took off the top 3 or four wire guides and added the Fuji's, worked better whilst leaving the first big wire guides.

HH

An armed man is a citizen,,,an unarmed man is a subject,,,,,,,,

Go back & search Fuji concept, distance casting, guide layout, etc., there is lot of information on SOL.

1st guide(stripper) is placed on a set of ratios of both the guide diameter & the spool diameter & line diameter or type. Remaining guides are based on rod length.

Lots more of you get the search right.

Have fun...

Morone Saxatilis... God put them in the Surf to take them, not in the freaking boat!

I appreciate all the replies.

I'm definitely going to look into it further.

In the mean time I'll be respooling a crisp lil OG Slammer 570L that I found online with some 20lb 832 and swap out the 4500BG on the 8.8 AWE and see how it throws.

I'm feeling the desire to give a lil insight into what brought me to this place.

After watching hours of J Skinner videos, especially his shore/bucktailing stuff, I became "enlightened" to the beauty, and the reward, of honing such skills.

I'm thrilled to be looking forward to tweaking a sweet rod setup, and working towards to the point where casting comfortably, casting rhythmically, and quite honestly , casting "peacefully", is a reward in itself.