Interesting observation today.

Rate this topic

I took the day off and drove to the rivers for trout.  Water levels were perfect, and there were cooperative trout to be found all over.

But the interesting part was, the snakes.  I can't ever recall seeing so many, some quite large.  Actually saw one seemingly enjoying himself, swimming in running water, against the current. I thought it was a muskrat at first, until it swam by me.

My explanation would be they were enjoying the first really warm day.  It was 80*, and they seemed to be soaking up the warm sun.

The Sultan of Sluggo

52 mins ago, bob_G said:

I took the day off and drove to the rivers for trout.  Water levels were perfect, and there were cooperative trout to be found all over.

But the interesting part was, the snakes.  I can't ever recall seeing so many, some quite large.  Actually saw one seemingly enjoying himself, swimming in running water, against the current. I thought it was a muskrat at first, until it swam by me.

My explanation would be they were enjoying the first really warm day.  It was 80*, and they seemed to be soaking up the warm sun.

Yes the warmth plus the stage of the season. They're both hungry and looking for mates.

10 hours ago, bob_G said:

It's warm, May, and looking for a mate.  Sounds like me when I was 19.:laugh:

Snake!   

Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?

With the mild winter and seasonal spring everything seems to be spawning earlier.

Bass and sunfish are already on nest for weeks and birds are more actively seeking mates.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!

2 hours ago, Running Ape said:

Bob, did you catch many trout?

I plan on heading that way soon.

Well, it wasn't stoopid fishing, but I found cooperative fish everywhere where I tried.  Had a really nice time.

The best part was, I was all alone everywhere. All bows, well dispersed.   I put on a 1/24oz rooster tail with a single spilt shot at 7am and used the same one the entire day.  I kept 3 to smoke, took a nap in the woods, and called it a day.

IMG_20240514_084359~2.jpg

The Sultan of Sluggo

21 hours ago, bob_G said:

It's warm, May, and looking for a mate.  Sounds like me when I was 19.:laugh:

Only in May? I was tearing the sides up ALL year long. ;)

"The sea, the great unifier, is man's only hope. Now, as never before,
the old phrase has a literal meaning: We are all in the same boat."
Jacques Cousteau

12 mins ago, ReeferRob said:

Only in May? I was tearing the sides up ALL year long. ;)

Agreed but I also remember there was something about the first warm days in late spring that were particularly potent. 

I especially remember those few weeks at the end of the school year during high-school when the temperature and the hormones were running high.

I'm guessing it's even more the case for creatures who only have a limited amount of time to get their business done before the nights get long and the temperature drops.

On 5/14/2024 at 7:48 PM, bob_G said:

On Monday morning I flipped some stuff I laid out in my backyard and found (and released)  this "very friendly" guy...

He did not seem to mind me handling him at all.

051324milk.jpg

Every year we have a slew of garter snakes under our front porch.  On nice days its not unusual to have 3 or 4 sunning on the walk.    Im kind of surprised I haven't seen any yet this year, is it still early?

Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?

29 mins ago, Jeff270 said:

Every year we have a slew of garter snakes under our front porch.  On nice days its not unusual to have 3 or 4 sunning on the walk.    Im kind of surprised I haven't seen any yet this year, is it still early?

No

We had an early season. I started seeing them in February which is not normal.

By now they've been out pretty much everywhere. 

On 5/15/2024 at 4:50 PM, bob_G said:

Well, it wasn't stoopid fishing, but I found cooperative fish everywhere where I tried.  Had a really nice time.

The best part was, I was all alone everywhere. All bows, well dispersed.   I put on a 1/24oz rooster tail with a single spilt shot at 7am and used the same one the entire day.  I kept 3 to smoke, took a nap in the woods, and called it a day.

IMG_20240514_084359~2.jpg

Legitimate question:  Why would you drive that far to catch stocked trout?