Sea bass season

Rate this topic

Adam32349

Hello,

I was thinking of taking my son fishing on a party boat in Belmar NJ on the opening day of sea bass season on Friday. Is the first day of a fishing season usually good or not so good (better as the season goes on)?

thanks for your input 

New Jersey's season starts earlier than New York's, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

But here on Long Island, opening day, weather permitting, is usually the best day of the season, at least until late in the year when numbers of large fish move down from New England.  After opening day, the wrecks begin to get picked over, with the legal fish cherry-picked very quickly.

The problem is that sea bass are structure dependent, and except for a few places--New York's Cholera Bank being one example--most of the bottom in the New York bight is sand or gravel, meaning that the fish concentrate in a very few places, largely on wrecks and artificial reefs that are know to the private and party boat fleets and get hit hard, making opening day your best chance to find some quality fish,

"I have always believed that outdoor writers who come out against fish and wildlife conservation are in the wrong business. To me, it makes as much sense golf writers coming out against grass.."  --  Ted Williams