Worth getting a guide for Chappy?

Rate this topic

Going out to Chappy for a week later this year, my first trip out there ever. Will just be fishing from the surf, wondering if it's worth hiring a guide or just doing my own research and seeing how it goes? Thanks all.

I've gone out with Larry's tackle a few times for shore based charters, great service and knowledge. Either the owner himself will take you out or one of his senior staff. You can also reach out to the other two primary tackle shops, Coops and Dicks, they offer shore charters as well but I have never used them. All three shops have a wealth of knowledge and are in the know about at the moment conditions (i.e. areas to target, lures/bait, etc.). Stop in, chat with them, purchase something (even if something small), all three are helpful. 

Last year was my first year of not using a shore charter on MV, after going out with them for the 4 years prior, as I started obtaining my own OSV. I really learned the island from them. If you plan on having your own OSV on chappy you could go out alone and figure things out, but if not the charter is worth it for the OSV access alone. There are also areas of chappy that you don't need an OSV and can park/walk to or take an uber/get dropped off, as with any other area.

there are also lots of other areas of the island with fishing access and different styles of fishing, if you end up deciding to not go to chappy, but for OSV your only choices are Chappy (which osv is currently on hold due to issues between the Trustees and private beach landowners on chappy) and Norton point (osv purchased through the town). 

sorry for the double post, but an author for a popular magazine/website wrote a detailed article on the different areas of MV which is an excellent read, especially if this is your first trip to MV. 

that author used to offer private shore charters as well, I had gone out with him a couple times, very nice and very knowledgeable. However he doesn't offer guide services anymore, that I am aware of at least. He got quite a bit of flack from the locals for that article. 

Coop's had good shore guided trips, not sure if they still do.

Jaime Boyle is a good bet if you want to go on a boat.

A lot depends on the specific species season you plan on being there. If there's albies around, I'd hire a guide. OUPV access on Chappy has limited DIY access to some spots. Maybe that has changed for the better, I haven't driven the beaches in a couple of years. I do most of my fishing around MV by boat and focus more on the Cape side .

Do you have a 4x4 and plan on driving ? 
$ it’s around 300 and they don’t sell week passes.   
plus don’t forget the plovers.   They close down a lot of the beach.  
more bad news is they are voting next week to limit or worse end all access. 
More bad news is they have not fixed the stairs at Wasque . Is a wonderful place but now under pressure.

send me a pm.  I can help with other locations if interested.  When r u going ? 

On 5/14/2024 at 1:56 PM, Camhabib said:

Will just be fishing from the surf, wondering if it's worth hiring a guide or just doing my own research and seeing how it goes? Thanks all.

It depends on time of year, what's going on, what species you are going after, beach closures, tourists/parking, nesting plovers + seals.

Before booking a guide, I'd do a little research (not so much on the guide), but how much beach is accessible at the time of your trip.

It's a nice area just to see if you've never been.  Good luck!  :D

Appreciate the replies all, some great info and advice. Trip is planned for a few weeks from now, will have an ORV sticker and will be going with someone who has some familiarity with the area, but by no means extensive.