jump into the deep end with convential?

Rate this topic

LOL......getting a couple good size drum, fishing AI, and seeing pictures that all seem to have a conventional heaver in the background.   Now I find myself thinking....maybe with mag brakes a conventional might be doable frustration wise.  my current big gun is a 12' Breakwater RT1 with a Battle III 8K. 

maybe towards end of the season I'll start watching for a second set up. this is addictive!!!

Do it and don't look back.  Once you get over the initial frustration you'll appreciate it.  Especially with heavy payloads.  The Penns with mag brakes are pretty friendly to start with.  I can't say enough good things about the Fathom 2 Cast Special but I've heard folks liking the Squall Cast Special as well.  

I started with Penn Mag 525, with mag brakes that made it a lot easier.  The latest fathom and squall dcs versions have even better mag brakes, haven't had a single backlash with those.  Daiwa Sealine Sha 30 doesn't have any brakes so feathering is a must. All in all, the bait casters have been more fun for me.

mono, if you put braid on the conventional, don't wine or complain lol.

Buy a 1lb spool (~3000 yards) of sufix titanium plus, chartreuse, 17lb to start off with.

If you waste some on backlash and tying knots, its more than worth it.  You will need to learn how to tie a shock leader to the main line, if you haven't done that before.  This is the most important knot for this setup.

I would vote for the squall, out of the box, they are not as fast as the fathoms.... if your 'all in'  if i had to pick one, get a 15 size v2 fathom, with the magnetic brake, and set it to the max.

Google or look up Tommy farmer / Carolina cast pro for some good videos and tutorials on how to setup the reel initially, and how to back off the mags as you get used to casting.

Here is what I use for conventional tackle. Penn Battalion 12' rod 4 to 10 oz heavy action. Penn Fathom 2  15 star drag with 17 # mono with a 40 # to 50# shock leader. It's the lenght of the rod with 2" hanging from the rod tip and 3 to 4 turn around the reel. It's a good combo for the money, the reel is one of the greats, once dilaed in it will cast far. The rod is OK for the money, but I might get a better 12' rod . It's my 8 and bait combo. I use it for Black drum, big red's and small sharks.  My reels is set up like LuckyOC suggest. 

Edited by hunter123
Capt, Frank Mundus. The man, the myth, the legand.

1 hour ago, luckyOC said:

You will need to learn how to tie a shock leader to the main line, if you haven't done that before.  This is the most important knot for this setup.

Already keep shock on my spinners, uni-uni on lighter stuff, FG on heavier leader.

I hate to say this, because I always get push back, but I use 50lb braid as my running line with a 60lb mono or fluoro shock leader, FG knot for connection and I don't have any issues.  I give the spool a quick spray of KVD before each outing just in case the line bites in. Casts well and stands up to a good fight.

18 mins ago, rwilliamsjr26 said:

I hate to say this, because I always get push back, but I use 50lb braid as my running line with a 60lb mono or fluoro shock leader, FG knot for connection and I don't have any issues.  I give the spool a quick spray of KVD before each outing just in case the line bites in. Casts well and stands up to a good fight.

I'm right there with you. I've spooled mine with 50lbs braid to get rid of the shock leader. I tie it to about 4' of 80lbs rub leader and call it good. 

I do have extra spools with mono for when we go to Hatteras and are fishing near the point....

Hi Frank, I don't have as much experience as a lot of other members do and can't give you a comparison on conventional reels as I am only familiar with one kind. I can tell you that I bought my first conventional reel a couple of years ago and after some thought/research I went with Penn Fathom 15 spooled with suffix 17 lb test mono and a 40 lb shock leader mounted on a 12 ft rod that was given to me. I have no regrets on buying the Penn Fathom spooled with mono. I do want to upgrade the freebee rod (ugly stick) for something that is more comfortable to me. You should treat yourself to an outfit. Once you get used to it you'll never look back. Congrats on your recent fishing success!

I learned to cast conventional with 50# braid because I was getting it wholesale. Used it for years until I had to pay retail. Switched to 15# big game and never looked back. No problem landing 50”+ reds. 
Braid has it’s own set of problems that have to be learned and worked out. 
One big difference, mono feels like an elastic band compared to braid. But that give of mono will help keep your rig from rolling with the current. 

ASSUME NOTHING

6 mins ago, rwilliamsjr26 said:

Do not forget finger protection if you use braid. I've burned myself stopping a big run, and it would be worse casting.

I was wondering about that.  I already use a finger glove when casting my 12' er