Sanibel June 22-29 Tarpon Guide/ Boat Rental Rental

Rate this topic

I've been to Sanibel several times, but I have the itch to hook a Tarpon.  I know my best bet is to go hire a guide, but at $1000-1200 per day, with no one to share the expense, it's quite pricey.  I started to look into boat rentals and you can get a 20 ft center console for $300/day + gas, so may be $500 total.  I may take the "roll your own" version, but am looking for some general direction of places to start.  I have access to a topo map.  DM me if you prefer.

Thanks for any help.

Are you on any local boards down there?  I haven't been in that exact area that late, been there mid-late May.  When I was there, Boca Grande Pass was where the tarpon fishing was on fire.  And also where everyone was fishing.  In late June, they may be more spread out.  Could be cruising the beaches.  Try to find a rental company that lets you into The Gulf.  This might be impossible in that area, but worth a try.  

Any specific SW florida boards you would suggest?  I went on the hunt for some last night but didn't come up with much.

I'm not interested in playing bumper boats at Boca.  Perhaps some back bay areas would suit me better.  I would be up for cruising the beaches, but I haven't found a rental company that allows that yet.

Go to the fishin franks board. They cover the area from Venice down to sanibel and update their reports every two weeks. There are a number of private and public Facebook groups that cover the area as well as local tarpon clubs.

I’ll be down in the area starting next week most of my fishing is out of a kayak in the fort myers area. I have one day booked with a fly guy out of bokeelia. Just hoping that the water quality issues are good when I get there.

bill

Well, I got a 21' Scout for $375 + gas, so I'm going to give it a try.  I will be out there on June 25th, so if anybody would like to share some general intel, that would be great.    My general game plan is to go from Port Sanibel to Cayo Costa so the wife can go shelling at some point.  I have from 8AM - 4PM, so not ideal time frame. but that's what we have to work with.

It's been a while since I fished down there and I wasn't targeting tarpon.  But, I would think Redfish Pass could be a place to try in the morning.  If the tarpon aren't cooperating during mid-day, you could try the sulfate docks for snook and snapper.