Opinions On 28' Henriques

Rate this topic

My brother and I are looking at upgrading the 23 Steiger to something a little bigger.  Looking at the pocket battle wagons in the 28 to 32 foot range (like Albemarle, Carolina Classic, Henriques, Topaz, Etc).  We took a look at a 28 Henriques recently and I was looking for some opinions from people who have fished on one.  We have heard two tales about how they ride.  They either pound in a head sea, or rock on drift like they want you to go swimming.  They seem like two opposing assessments, so I am hoping someone can clear that up.  Looking at the hull, I am of the belief the former is most likely.  

I will also gladly accept any information about any other aspects of the boat (or any of the other boats listed above) if you have that to offer.  We are just starting our search and don't really have a timeframe on when we want to upgrade.  We will pull the trigger when the right boat presents itself.

Thanks in advance for all of the info.

I ate one anchovy, and that is why I did not eat two anchovies.

On 5/13/2024 at 7:28 PM, John B said:

My brother and I are looking at upgrading the 23 Steiger to something a little bigger.  Looking at the pocket battle wagons in the 28 to 32 foot range (like Albemarle, Carolina Classic, Henriques, Topaz, Etc).  We took a look at a 28 Henriques recently and I was looking for some opinions from people who have fished on one.  We have heard two tales about how they ride.  They either pound in a head sea, or rock on drift like they want you to go swimming.  They seem like two opposing assessments, so I am hoping someone can clear that up.  Looking at the hull, I am of the belief the former is most likely.  

I will also gladly accept any information about any other aspects of the boat (or any of the other boats listed above) if you have that to offer.  We are just starting our search and don't really have a timeframe on when we want to upgrade.  We will pull the trigger when the right boat presents itself.

Thanks in advance for all of the info.

I bought a 32 Topaz Express a couple of years ago.

Very happy with it so far.  Good sized cockpit, nice clean wake when I troll, good in a head sea (although it helps to trim the bow down).  No flybridge, so the center of gravity is low and it doesn't roll badly at all.

Only real complaint that I have is that boats of that era and configuration lack a fishbox, which is something that I miss.

"I have always believed that outdoor writers who come out against fish and wildlife conservation are in the wrong business. To me, it makes as much sense golf writers coming out against grass.."  --  Ted Williams

Check out Simple Man Charters. He runs charters out of Red Bank. Garrett is a cool dude and would be happy to answer questions if not give you a ride.

I love when we make way past the breakwater at first light and head out, there's nothing better, the whole rest of the world just melts away for me.

(*edited - member formerly known as 'windknot')

On 5/18/2024 at 9:45 AM, Cman said:

Check this thread:

https://www.****.com/boating-forum/540168-any-experiences-28-henriques.html

Thanks.  I have read that one and it was helpful. 

On 5/19/2024 at 9:43 AM, CWitek said:

I bought a 32 Topaz Express a couple of years ago.

Very happy with it so far.  Good sized cockpit, nice clean wake when I troll, good in a head sea (although it helps to trim the bow down).  No flybridge, so the center of gravity is low and it doesn't roll badly at all.

Only real complaint that I have is that boats of that era and configuration lack a fishbox, which is something that I miss.

Thanks Charles.  IMHO, the 32 Topaz has some of the prettiest lines of just about any production boat, especially in that size range.  They don't come up as available often, but we have that model on our short list of boats to look at.  Your response is helpful, thank you.    

3 hours ago, Lagerhead said:

Check out Simple Man Charters. He runs charters out of Red Bank. Garrett is a cool dude and would be happy to answer questions if not give you a ride.

Thanks Lagerhead.  I will look him up.  

IMG_1788.png

I love when we make way past the breakwater at first light and head out, there's nothing better, the whole rest of the world just melts away for me.

(*edited - member formerly known as 'windknot')

I ran a 32 Luhrs exactly like the one below with 315 Yanmars in it for three years.  People like to trash talk on Luhrs but I gotta say, it was one hell of an awesome little boat.  If I were looking for something in that segment, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.  Being 4-feet longer and 3-feet wider its significantly bigger feeling than the 28 Henriques.  Great ride.  Loved the center helm and the overall layout.  Loved the Yanmar power.  Plenty fast.  Raised fish.

32' 2007 Luhrs 32 Open | Tampa Yacht Sales

Edited by mako capt

1 hour ago, mako capt said:

I ran a 32 Luhrs exactly like the one below with 315 Yanmars in it for three years.  People like to trash talk on Luhrs but I gotta say, it was one hell of an awesome little boat.  If I were looking for something in that segment, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.  Being 4-feet longer and 3-feet wider its significantly bigger feeling than the 28 Henriques.  Great ride.  Loved the center helm and the overall layout.  Loved the Yanmar power.  Plenty fast.  Raised fish.

32' 2007 Luhrs 32 Open | Tampa Yacht Sales

Thanks Mako Capt.  Sounds like a nice platform.  Why did you get rid of it?

1 hour ago, John B said:

Thanks Mako Capt.  Sounds like a nice platform.  Why did you get rid of it?

We went to the much bigger boat just like the one below.  Both boats were bought brand new and I got to outfit them.  As we were usually fishing shorthanded or with inexperienced guests I was usually missing the smaller boat.  I credit this boat and its guests for burning me out on being a paid captain.    This boat was a little too big to fish without someone who knows what they are doing in the cockpit.  I was a one armed paper hanger on this boat.  It also didn't drift for ****.  Rolled like crazy.

2001 Luhrs 40 Open / Express - SPORTFISH TRADER

Edited by mako capt

My friend owned a 28 Henriques for about 10 years.  Spent many a night with the crew fishing the canyons off NJ.  Got us there and back every time.  Handled well in snotty weather.  He had Volvo's in the boat and they were reliable and fairly fuel efficient.  We usually fished with a crew of 4, but had 5 or 6 several times.  The bench seats make for 2 extra beds/seating.  Sorry to see him sell the boat, but he became a captain of a head boat.