Striped Bass Stomach Parasites

Rate this topic

swellzer

Anybody ever seen these? They are red worms 2-3 inches long and about as thick as 20lb mono. They spiral up and are in the organ cavity when I folet fish and open it up to check stomach contents after I have gotten the filets off. They dont seem to be in the filets itself. Ive brought home 3 fish so far this year and every one of them had them in their cavity. 

anybody know what they are or if they are safe? I wish I took a picture. Maybe I will next time. 

1 hour ago, swellzer said:

Anybody ever seen these? They are red worms 2-3 inches long and about as thick as 20lb mono. They spiral up and are in the organ cavity when I folet fish and open it up to check stomach contents after I have gotten the filets off. They dont seem to be in the filets itself. Ive brought home 3 fish so far this year and every one of them had them in their cavity. 

anybody know what they are or if they are safe? I wish I took a picture. Maybe I will next time. 

Any chance they are cinder worms? I heard there was some big cinder worm hatch relatively recently but I have no idea how long it takes striped bass to digest their food.

Yeah, they are common. I am sure they are some species of roundworm. Seen them a bunch. I would say its safe because they are in the gut. I would be more concerned if you found tapeworms. Used to see them in every winter flounder I cut. Fish cooked to temp and you should be fine if some eggs make it to the fillet.

2 hours ago, Richard_the_Aughth said:

Any chance they are cinder worms? I heard there was some big cinder worm hatch relatively recently but I have no idea how long it takes striped bass to digest their food.

No not cinder worms. These werent eaten it didnt seem. And they had no legs. 

8 mins ago, Joser said:

Yeah, they are common. I am sure they are some species of roundworm. Seen them a bunch. I would say its safe because they are in the gut. I would be more concerned if you found tapeworms. Used to see them in every winter flounder I cut. Fish cooked to temp and you should be fine if some eggs make it to the fillet.

Yea that’s what I figured. As long as I cook everything all the way through they should be fine.  Just never seen these ones before this season and its been in every fish so far. 

4 hours ago, swellzer said:

I try to harvest very seldom - maybe once every few years.

I usually make delicious fish cakes out of my stripers. Cleaned. Fileted. Head preserved. 

Boiled in seasoned water. Big stock pot. Filets first until fully cooked but not overcooked. Then the head. Long slow boil. Cool & use your hands to get the meat from the cheeks, etc. You get a lot of really flavorful meat out of the head. 

This meat is totally safe and then follow your favorite fish cake or even crabcake recipe from there. And you’ll be cooking that part also. 

8 hours ago, swellzer said:

Those are nematodes, if you've ever gone cod fishing and have the cod filleted you'd see them in the water in the bag, they come out of the meat after the fish dies.

I'm sure they are in most fish.

I have seen them in the fillets of frozen whiting fillets, coiled up but dead from flash freezing.

To look for them in your catch hold the fillet up to a fluorescent light and you'll see them as a dark speck.

The you pick them out with your knife.

HH

An armed man is a citizen,,,an unarmed man is a subject,,,,,,,,

15 hours ago, swellzer said:

Picture would be nice.  I've never found any worms in the stomach/abdominal cavity of a striper, but did find a seal worm in a fillet of one caught in NH.  That surprised me...

Edited by Roccus7

Shall I go to heaven or a-fishing? - H. D. Thoreau

Veni.  Vidi.  Cepi. - with apologies to Gaius Julius Caesar

On 5/14/2024 at 12:34 AM, Heavy Hooksetter said:

Those are nematodes, if you've ever gone cod fishing and have the cod filleted you'd see them in the water in the bag, they come out of the meat after the fish dies.

I'm sure they are in most fish.

I have seen them in the fillets of frozen whiting fillets, coiled up but dead from flash freezing.

To look for them in your catch hold the fillet up to a fluorescent light and you'll see them as a dark speck.

The you pick them out with your knife.

HH

Constantly pulled these from filets when I worked in the grocery stores.  Especially flat fish.  The fishmarket tries their best, but they still get thru to the stores.  

I remember one customer stating if they were alive, that fish is fresh!

2 hours ago, PSeggs said:

Constantly pulled these from filets when I worked in the grocery stores.  Especially flat fish.  The fishmarket tries their best, but they still get thru to the stores.  

I remember one customer stating if they were alive, that fish is fresh!

Def true, if they are moving, that fillet super fresh!

HH

On 5/14/2024 at 5:17 AM, Roccus7 said:

Picture would be nice.  I've never found any worms in the stomach/abdominal cavity of a striper, but did find a seal worm in a fillet of one caught in NH.  That surprised me...

Seal worm?, Sounds ugly like they are.

I'm gonna search for a picture now.

HH