Canal tidal energy pilot

Rate this topic

59 mins ago, TheFriendlyFisherman said:

Saw there was some approval to further the pilot of tidal energy generation at the canal. Do you guys have any concerns for this? Do you think it would have any impact on the fishery? Any other concerns for the local area? 

Impact the fishing?  This will only add to the buffoonery. 

This will be the giant ferris wheel at the county faire. 

:poopfan:

Edited by bob_G

The Sultan of Sluggo

John Miller, one of the top people associated with this project was recently quoted…..”the blades move relatively slowly compared to wind turbines and animals in the water are used to having things around them that move at that speed. Despite millions of hours of testing, worldwide there has been absolutely no impact on fish or marine mammals”. 

35 mins ago, Littoral Larry said:

They did something similar in the East River back in 2021. Look up Verdant Power Roosevelt Island Tidal Energy Project. Apparently it was a successful test but then the project license expired so the project was decommissioned. 

PXL_20210504_211930706

Underwater windmills? That will definitely chop up the few remaining whales. 

I remember them setting up a test stand near the RR bridge some time ago for turbine testing. I'm not sure anything was ever done with it? 

Pfantum Pfishah

9 mins ago, bdowning said:

I remember them setting up a test stand near the RR bridge some time ago for turbine testing. I'm not sure anything was ever done with it? 

From what I read that was a smaller pilot which is now being expanded. I don’t know much further at the moment unfortunately though 

1 hour ago, z-man said:

Underwater windmills? That will definitely chop up the few remaining whales. 

Sorry, you're wrong.   It doesn't chop them up.  The vibration drives them so crazy that they find the nearest ship and repeatedly swim into the bow until  they get impaled. 

24 mins ago, bdowning said:

The guys running it go out there several times weekly, even all winter. Have been since it's inception.  Many times TowUSA runs them out there.

The Sultan of Sluggo

Just now, PaulS said:

Sorry, you're wrong.   It doesn't chop them up.  The vibration drives them so crazy that they find the nearest ship and repeatedly swim into the bow until  they get impaled. 

Yup, that too. Along with the federally protected seals.

The Sultan of Sluggo

Just now, PaulS said:

Exactly. Or they seek out lobster gear in their confusion so they can wrap the lines around themselves. 

The last attempt was some 20 years ago. Weed and eel grass drifting in the water column absolutely crushed the experiment.

The prototype had a giant lower unit similar to a stern drive on a boat. Once lowered into the water, the canal currents were supposed to spin the blades, similar to a wind tower, only under water.   So as to remain functional 24/7, the unit was designed to turn 180* so it could generate power on both the east and west tides.

But as I mentioned, floating weed and eel grass constantly rendered it inoperable.  Sometimes within an hour.  One of the electricians working on it once told me it didn't generate enough juice daily to run a reading lamp.

The Sultan of Sluggo