More about the wimin protesting

Rate this topic

Since Patrick was a horse’s arse and got the other thread locked, more on the topic 

IMG_3017.jpeg.164969b5b8ddcbade219cd964295f32a.jpeg

So, Greta Thunberg has a new cause. She’s found a new crusade to throw her weight behind. Forget saving the planet – now she wants to save Palestine.

Yes, the pint-sized prophetess of doom has swapped raging against industrialism for raging against Israel. Mother Nature will just have to wait – her erstwhile valiant defender is busy fixing the Middle East now.

Yesterday, Greta was snapped at the protest in Malmo, Sweden against Israel’s inclusion in the Eurovision Song Contest.…

Whatever happened to the sin of “cultural appropriation”? Not long ago, the right-on raged against white dudes who wear their hair in dreadlocks and white women who don kominos. “Stop stealing other people’s culture!”, they’d yell. Yet now they themselves spend their days in Arab attire.

That image of Greta in Malmo, looking very satisfied with herself, summed up the role the keffiyeh plays in the life of the 21st-century activist. Keffiyeh-wearing is less about drawing attention to the plight of the Palestinians than drawing attention to you. Look at me in my Arab garb, aren’t I good and hyper socially aware – that’s the needy cry of these hipster appropriators.

Yet beneath their radical chic, darker sentiments lurk.

Edited by flyangler

“No nation in history has survived once its borders were destroyed, once its citizenship was rendered no different from mere residence, and once its neighbors with impunity undermined its sovereignty.”

- Victor Davis Hanson 

I made a point in the locked thread about a deeper, wider reason for these protests now and their chosen target. The article above concluded with the following:

But I think there’s something else going on, too. The truth is that climate activism and anti-Israel agitation are very comfy bedfellows. There are even some creepy commonalities between green agitation and Israel’s greatest ideological foe: radical Islam.

Both, at root, represent a disgust with modernity. Both the privileged Western weepers over industrial society and the Islamist haters of Israel share an aversion to the modern world, to progress, to Enlightenment itself.

Hence we can even have a situation where Muslim activists who yell “Allahu Akbar” can be elected as councilors for the Green Party.

The upper-middle class recycling obsessive in Hampstead might seem a million miles from the bearded radical who publicly sings the praises of Allah – but they share an instinctive revulsion for capitalist society. One sees it as a crime against Mother Nature, the other as an affront to Muhammad.

To both sides, Israel is the pinnacle of the modernity they hate. A young, confident, entrepreneurial nation that rendered the desert a land of plenty? Boo. Hiss. Cast its people from our social circles.

So it makes sense that Greta has temporarily ditched Gaia for Gaza. For this crisis, too, furnishes her with an opportunity to advertise her pious rejection of the modern world.

“No nation in history has survived once its borders were destroyed, once its citizenship was rendered no different from mere residence, and once its neighbors with impunity undermined its sovereignty.”

- Victor Davis Hanson 

What is they so angry about?

Why are they so filed with “rage“?

Why is it that they chosen lives so different from a couple of generations ago and yet seem to be hating it at the same time?

They have reached parity with men, what aren’t they happier? 

if you want, the short psychobabble-filled rationale is that men should cry more and women should express their anger war.

USA Today:

Women are paying big money to scream, smash sticks in the woods. It's called a rage ritual.

Kimberly Helmus still gets chills thinking about her first rage ritual.

Two-and-a-half years ago after her divorce, the cybersecurity engineer embarked on a retreat to Scotland with Mia Banducci − an author and self-described "Spiritual Fairy Godmother," better known online as Mia Magik.

As part of the retreat, Banducci held a rage ritual: a ceremony in which participants scream and beat large sticks on the ground in the woods. Participants are encouraged to think of people and experiences that have wronged them and to scream and swing the sticks for at least 20 minutes, or until they can no longer move their arms.

Rage rituals have garnered attention on TikTok, where they've resonated, particularly with women. In comments, women describe how moving it is to see other women embody their anger − an emotion experts say society often discourages women from expressing.

"There's no place where you can see women be able to be angry like that and it not be condemned," Helmus says. " 'She's just hormonal. She's just unhinged. She's just crazy. She's just on her period. She's just, whatever.' This was a place where you were, probably for the first time in a really, really long time, if ever, able to scream out loud things about how you felt."

….

Why do rage rituals resonate with women in particular?

Rage rituals seem to have struck a chord particularly among women, who write in social media comments how moving it is to see women let out their anger.

"Why did I have an immediate visceral reaction and start crying?" one woman wrote. "I literally cried seeing this… I NEED this," another wrote. "As a now middle aged woman with even more rage, I need this!!" wrote another.

Sarkis says this isn't surprising. After all, women have been historically discouraged from embracing their right to feel angry, she says.

Banducci says that, while men are taught to suppress sadness, women are taught to suppress rage.

"It's like, 'Don't be a bitch' or 'don't be angry' or 'don't be aggressive' or 'don't stand up for yourself.' 'Don't protect your integrity.' 'Don't tell anyone that they don't have consent to touch your body or speak to you in a certain way,' " she says. "There are particular emotions that are accepted in the gender binary that we each need to feel. Men need to cry − and it's so healthy for men to cry − and women need to be able to get angry."

- Victor Davis Hanson 

4 mins ago, Heron25 said:

Greta’s used up her usefulness and the self destruction tour has begun.  

are you suggesting that she's "raging"? 

- Victor Davis Hanson 

Just now, flyangler said:

are you suggesting that she's "raging"? 

She’s been raging all along.   It served a purpose for her handlers before.  

If the devil can't beat you down, he'll try and wear you down.  

2 mins ago, Heron25 said:

She’s been raging all along.   It served a purpose for her handlers before.  

what i don't get is how/why progressives are willing to put so much credence in what comes out of the mouths a mid-teens. whether greta on climate, or kids deciding they want their genitalia altered, i don't get it. 

- Victor Davis Hanson 

Tom,  you hit the nail on the head about "modernity."  That has been the key to much of our downfall.   Had a great discussion about this just the other day. 

1 min ago, flyangler said:

what i don't get is how/why progressives are willing to put so much credence in what comes out of the mouths a mid-teens. whether greta on climate, or kids deciding they want their genitalia altered, i don't get it. 

Because they aren't very bright.  Stupid even.  They'll listen to anyone who confirms their mental illness.  

Democrats are the biggest existential threat to democracy we face.