RI Fish Report Blog, May 13 - May 19

Rate this topic

The Rhode Island Fish Blog was created as a common communal gathering place to share and report weekly fishing activity. Having this information rightly available in one weekly thread benefits those who greatly use this RI forum and ply our local waters with a fishing rod.

The premise is to gather all weekly reports into one common portal, thus making it easy to access, view and add your own reports and comments.   This is the seventh year for this unique approach. Please post your success or skunks, either way, black or white, zero to hero, let us all share this information.  Fresh, factual information is one of the best sources of Intel we have for better fishing tomorrow.

It can only get better and improve from here. How can the fishing get any worst?

There are lots of variables involved with poor fishing starting with constant changes in temperatures and barometric pressure.

We've had 35 degree difference between night time temps and day time temps. 

Wind from the East and North east doesn't help either. 

Lack of bait supplies of all sizes and kinds in the upper bay.

Where are all these pogy school the State's evaluators say there here?

Most surface feeding birds are never in flight. 

We do see an occasional cormorants diving deep for a meal. 

We are bottomed out. How long before an up-swing. 

Nothing flies by me without a hook!
If my fly is down, That's a good thing.

Public Access.....It's a shore thing. My daily requirement of "Vitamin Sea".

Capt. Ray Stachelek

I hear fishing was good for out of state Ark Bait last week.....

"A GAMEFISH (which striped bass should be) Is too valuable to be caught only once"...Lee Wulff

When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty" - Thomas Jefferson

"I'm from the government, and I'm here to help." Most dangerous words in the English language...Ronald Reagan

9 hours ago, afterhours said:

I hear fishing was good for out of state Ark Bait last week.....

Our river herring are caught as bycatch; now it’s time to scoop up the menhaden.

in the meantime some small stripers, as in 9 to 12”, have arrived. Hope they’re not harassed by fishermen.

Fished sunset last night at a close by spot and same as its been all spring, and this is usually a reliable spring spot, no bait and no fish staging there.  The lack of bait is really puzzling at this point in the year, and wading it really feels like the water is either getting colder or has just stalled.  Need to start moving away from convenient close by spring spots and start venturing out to find reliable bait source.  The lack of people i am seeing fishing, except occasional large pack of chunkers, says a lot about the fishing right now.

7 mins ago, Kooky said:

Fished sunset last night at a close by spot and same as its been all spring, and this is usually a reliable spring spot, no bait and no fish staging there.  The lack of bait is really puzzling at this point in the year, and wading it really feels like the water is either getting colder or has just stalled.  Need to start moving away from convenient close by spring spots and start venturing out to find reliable bait source.  The lack of people i am seeing fishing, except occasional large pack of chunkers, says a lot about the fishing right now.

I was deep wading last night. Water was fnen cold! Very slow night for me.

In large, this is the worst spring start I've had in 7+ years of logging my outings. By now, I normally have got on at least 3-5 really solid bites with big quantities of fish. This year I've continued to pick some fish, pretty much every time I find them. No real "hot bite" has developed during a session. I believe the weather is to blame ultimately, but it's been a rough start. 

With the strong SW over the last couple days, I do think things are about to change...

3 hours ago, dickd said:

Our river herring are caught as bycatch; now it’s time to scoop up the menhaden.

in the meantime some small stripers, as in 9 to 12”, have arrived. Hope they’re not harassed by fishermen.

Saw the baby bass as well last time out. Hopefully their mommas are around tonite. :cool:

Pfantum Pfishah

I have been hitting one of my spring spots in the Taunton River. I would say we are about 10 days behind a regular year. Water temp, quantity of fish, and they are not schooling up in pockets/rips yet when they find food supply, more spread out like April.

On a more positive note I did see a couple of horseshoe crabs yesterday, usually a sign for me that things are starting to kick into gear.

I am looking for the evening tides from 20th to 27th of month to produce better quality fish.

No mommas last night but a cpl of fish out front in lower narr bay. One was a low slot. Both came on teasers. Dropped several others, either poorly hooked or "operator error." :rolleyes: action cut off quick after dead high tide.

Pfantum Pfishah

Looked for some Cinder Worm Spawn activity tonight in Ninigret Pond. 

Sounds crazy with all this cold, bad weather and rain this evening. 

I thought so too, but I had to show as the leader and moral support of the  Rhody Fly Rodders.

This was a scheduled night of fishing for the Rhody Fly Rodders we planned a month ago. 

We do two trips a month to different locations, hopefully where it's good fishing. 

Fished two hours with five other members, not a worm or striper in sight. 

Nothing flies by me without a hook!
If my fly is down, That's a good thing.

Public Access.....It's a shore thing. My daily requirement of "Vitamin Sea".

Capt. Ray Stachelek

Fished a spot in the upper bay out of my kayak yesterday evening before the rain got to heavy. Its been producing fish the past week for the most part. Figured it would produce last night with the favorable conditions. Only got a few hits on top water.  I did spook multiple large fish hanging near the surface. They just weren't hitting.