Seasons on the fly! Rant

Rate this topic

RAW

My favorites were Spanish Fly and Walker's Cay Chronicles. I'll watch The Seahunter and The Obsession of Carter Andrews. Can't watch Big Water Adventures and the countless shows of the same stuff from Tropic Star Lodge and Gulf of Mexico Fshing Co out of Louisiana. I liked Jose and Flip seem to do it all DIY as well as Rob Fordyce and Carter Andrews. Big Water's just too pay for play for me. 

When I was a youngster I started watching fishing shows every Sunday morning. Early on it was mostly bass guys, Houston, Dance, Martin, and I always like Fishin' Hole with Jerry McGinnis. Then came along some of the fly guys, Flip, Jose', etc. Man that was a great way to spend a winter Sunday morning. Fast forward, I was recently in a hotel on a business trip and flipping thru the channels, found some sort of Florida based saltwater fishing show. It' was a 30 minute commercial about every single piece of gear they were sponsored to use;  the boat, the motor, the rods, reels, sunglasses, sunscreen, etc, etc. Just terrible. 

We used to get Flip and Walker Cay over here in the UK back in the day. Loved them. But the best fishing show by miles was an Aussie series called 'A River Somewhere'. It was more of a light-hearted and humorous travel show to fishing destinations. One of the guys, Rob Sloane, is now the editor of Fly Life magazine, the best fishing publication out there IMO.

The Florida Fishing Report with Rick Murphy is 90 minutes of sheer crap. No mention of any freshwater fishing and just little sections of the fishing from his fan boys. There hasn't been a decent fishing show produced in ages.

13 hours ago, acesover said:

The Florida Fishing Report with Rick Murphy is 90 minutes of sheer crap. No mention of any freshwater fishing and just little sections of the fishing from his fan boys. There hasn't been a decent fishing show produced in ages.

Magazines have followed, Florida Sportsman, SaltwaterMag. And On the Water. 

Network tv programs have become so filled with ads I barely watch them. You tube was good but now they want you to sign in and the number of ads is increasing. "Big Brother" has taken over.