Alternative footwear for stocking foot waders.

Rate this topic

planter

Do I need boots specifically designed for use with stocking foot waders or are there alternatives. I’m going to AK for what is now turning into an almost three week adventure. I am trying without much success to trim down my baggage weight and just curious why I couldn’t use an old pair of chuck taylors or neoprene booties. Maybe even beach shoes or sandals. I will be buying the right boots when I get back but I’m just looking for a short cut with no major drawbacks.  Thanks

You can wear any boot that fits over the stocking foot as long as it provides support and good footing for where you will be wading.

I use REI zip up neoprene boots with substantial soles.

Don't thing they are available any longer.

Much lighter that typical wading boots

Herb 

Orvis has some "Ultralight" wading boots, listed at 40 oz. for a pair of Size 10.

ETA, I use some of those cheap slip-on water shoes, over stocking foot waders for kayaking. But for wading over rocks, I'd want need the stability and durability of a boot.

Edited by chr1s

Go to a diving store and test out some of their booties, but be sure to wear your waders in so you can size properly. 

I use a pair from Aqualung and haven’t worn a pair of wading boots since. I’m a size 10.5 in shoes and get a size 13 in them.  The fit is excellent, the single zipper entry is lovely, and they’re just overall superior in my eyes. 

I will say, the grip isn’t what you’d get with studs but it’s not so bad either. I’m 32 and have spent over two decades on a skateboard, so my balance/foot coordination is pretty good. This may be an issue depending on the terrain you’ll be in, but it’s certainly a better option than Chucks and maybe you could buy some sort of traction device and screw in, just a thought. 

Palm Gradient Kayak boots. Super light, very comfortable, vibram sole, easy on/off, they don't let sand in like most wading boots I've owned and they are reasonably priced. They are the best boots I've used if you don't need studs or lots of ankle support. 

Edited by JRT

6 hours ago, alaskansteve said:

get a good pair of wading boots or the rivers here will cripple you. buy a pair if your in anchorage, Mossy's fly shop will have a good selection( no sales tax in anch). use them here then mail them home.

What he said! Skimping on footwear for any reason is a bad decision. Give up some other want, you need good footwear.

Neoprene diving shoes? What a great idea. I’ll go check the out today! I bet they compress quite a bit. I’ll leave the chucks home. 
Airlines are cutting the weight of checked baggage from 50lbs to 40 lbs which is a big difference. I do plan on packing light because I have no problem wearing stuff more than once whit  the exception of my shorts. 
I just might check out a second bag but I plan on bringing home a few hundred pounds of Halibut and Salmon back to Massachusetts and with luggage I’ll be lugging around 400lbs of gear. 
Actually I believe the lodge has a washer and dryer which could be cool. 
Thanks guys. I may just carry everything I need. There is a used Sports shop near by and who knows, maybe they have something that will fit the bill. There will be some Kings around ( last time I would have won a brand new pick up but the tournament ended a few days prior so my I would have been a hero) off to the diving store just to see what’s up.

I agree shipping a box of stuff back might be a good idea.

Thanks again!!

Wading on slippery rocks with anything but good supportive wading boots is a recipe for disaster, I would have felt soles with aluminum cleats, falling down and getting wet, or possibly injured could be very bad.

JC

OK, here goes what happens when you think outside the box.....

With my very wide-for-length (think flipper here) feet...with stocking foot waders I always have lots of extra neoprene smashed into my and around my toes when I pull on a regular wading boot.  Sheer misery......until....my toes go mercifully numb.

Years of fishing the Deschutes, about as tough a wading river as I've ever found, 4-5 week long float trips each summer.  All the rocks are volcanic basalt.  Think sharp here.  I once brought brand new boot foots, leaned gently against a large boulder....and punctured at the knee.  I leaked my way downriver for 8 days.  I had to use stocking foots because I could bring (and afford) spares.  I finally tried regular old hardware store swampers.....upper calf length pull on mud boots....$15.  First off, they were faster on....and infinitely more comfortable to the toes.  Plenty of stiffness for toe protection and ankle support  As for traction treat the soles to your pleasure, or strap on corkers.  UN-puncturable up to the knee when walking through brush and/or blackberry patches. 

The drawback?  You have two boots full of water every time you wade out.  The solution?  Lean on your wading staff and one leg, pull the other foot up behind you to scratch your butt. As your balance improves you can do it on one leg and no hands.  Soooo....every time you wade dry, it take about 8 seconds to go through the bilateral knee-pee routine.  Quaint!  I thought about putting drain holes in at foot level but, given the amount of water and the time to drain it....vrs 8 seconds to drained knee-peeing......never did.

Remember......you read it here first.

On 5/11/2024 at 10:52 AM, planter said:

Do I need boots specifically designed for use with stocking foot waders or are there alternatives. I’m going to AK for what is now turning into an almost three week adventure. I am trying without much success to trim down my baggage weight and just curious why I couldn’t use an old pair of chuck taylors or neoprene booties. Maybe even beach shoes or sandals. I will be buying the right boots when I get back but I’m just looking for a short cut with no major drawbacks.  Thanks

*post a list you are considering packing, maybe we can eliminate a few things you need something good 

3 weeks one pair of good boots = Chota boots = that's it for me ... true to the size 

p

If it has fins i want to catch it