Jump to content

A choice between reels

Rate this topic


BrianBM

Recommended Posts

My fine motor skills are deteriorating  a bit, with the passage of time. I like the heck out of my Lexa 400, it's well enough braked, and nicely ergonomic, so that the thumb falls perfectly into place to finish braking the spool during the cast. What about the Fathom 2 that's optimized for casting? It's been mentioned here. If I turn the braking up high, is it reasonably idiot-proof?

 

It doesn't seem like a lot of people use it, but those who do, like it a lot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fathom 12/15 and casting special are VERY easy to cast.  If you have the mag full on you wont see any fluff.  You may not see as much distance, but it will be "idiot proof".  My buddy uses a Fathom 2 casting special, 6-7 clicks off full is usually where he casts it.  Fathom 2 is a favorite of a lot of Hatteras surf casters.  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's very idiot proof. Mag turned up you can lay into it no problem.  Great fishing reel . Definitely recommend for those getting into conventional casting. Although I prefer the regular model with the smaller dial for fishing . I have cast and owned both  the casting special is a bit faster most won't get the benefit from it. 

Edited by Jim McFeeley
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I use a Penn Fathom2  15 star drag on my 12' rod for big drum, I use 17# mono on it. It will cast a mile once set up. I love the reel.

Edited by hunter123
Capt, Frank Mundus. The man, the myth, the legand.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Once you get your mag setting dialed in, there is very little trouble. Ever since I started throwing a magged reel(the European version of a Squall/Fathom), I'm having a hard time going back to a non magged reel. It's a beautiful caster.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 If you like the lexa 400 and want more capacity for casting. Get a lexa 500.  It’s contradicting to see your motor skills are not as good and then think about open top reel. 

haters will always hate. trolls will always troll. its how the internet works.

(previously known as 'ooeric')

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I recommend the squall II if you’re only fishing for strippers and blues. you’re going for shark, Red drum, stripers and blues the fathom I or II sure. I have both reels. The fathom is a very strong reel and honestly it’s a little over kill for stripers and blues. The fathom 2 has 30lbs of drag and squall 2 has 20lbs drag. I can cast the squall further than my fathom just because it’s lighter and easier to whip the rod. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, EricL said:

 If you like the lexa 400 and want more capacity for casting. Get a lexa 500.  It’s contradicting to see your motor skills are not as good and then think about open top reel. 

I'm well aware of it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 mins ago, drudedon said:

I recommend the squall II if you’re only fishing for strippers and blues. you’re going for shark, Red drum, stripers and blues the fathom I or II sure. I have both reels. The fathom is a very strong reel and honestly it’s a little over kill for stripers and blues. The fathom 2 has 30lbs of drag and squall 2 has 20lbs drag. I can cast the squall further than my fathom just because it’s lighter and easier to whip the rod. 

Interesting observation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/10/2024 at 10:31 PM, Busanga said:

A lot of issues apparently with the fathom 2 CS in terms of build quality and longevity 

What are the issues you have experienced?  I know multiple people with this reel and have had zero issues.  Only thing I don't like is location of mag knob, but that is easily solved with the install of the flag dial from the non CS Fathom 2.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, animalbarrie said:

What are the issues you have experienced?  I know multiple people with this reel and have had zero issues.  Only thing I don't like is location of mag knob, but that is easily solved with the install of the flag dial from the non CS Fathom 2.  

Following is a comment from UK ... not me...

7 months in what are your views on the cs ?. Its got its faults, hungry on bearings , the pinion end bearings are also prone to breaking down. The rachet assemble is like chocolate and the mag assembly inside the reel is very poorly moulded and prone to cracking. The star drag also can strip the threads. As for the reel casing ( like all PENNS) are prone to blistering and have seen a reel seat come off one of these reels. As mentioned the dial for mag control is shocking to say the least but I know some anglers that manage well with the 'sticky out' knob. My reels lasted just about 12 months and its a shame, brand new these look the bollocks and they do fish well but for longevity and reliability its certainly a no. As you said back to the drawing board regarding the mag control knob. I contacted Penn Europe and asked why not make a 'hybrid' CS incorporating the fathom SD design  (in my eyes fair superior for reliability) and the CS characteristics, drag etc and reduced spool size slightly to aid better bearing life (reduced spool weight) .. the reply I had was .. ' interesting concept !!' .. watch this space Mk 2 CS on its way, its got to happen . Tightlines

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...