E Bikes

Rate this topic

2 hours ago, mikez2 said:

Yeah I totally don't get the car in Disney reference. Maybe I'm too dense but I don't see a similarity between cars and ebikes nor a similarity between Disney and the canal.

Regardless, I was just throwing a general observation out there about the state of the popularity of the ebikes everywhere. 

They have taken off in popularity and it's got nothing to do with elderly or handicapped people who can't pedal. They're everywhere and it's a lot of young fit people riding them.

They're on the paved bike paths near me despite the "no motorized vehicles" signs. They're on trails in the woods despite the same signs. They're on public roads but you don't need a registration or drivers license. 

And there's more every day.

That's all I'm saying. Just a general observation. 

Still scratching my head over the Disney thing. Are you allowed to ride pedal bikes in Disney?

Edit: I looked it up. Seems pedal bikes ARE allowed inside the Magic Kingdom but ebikes ARE NOT.

Still don't get the car reference though. 

The Disney example might not be the best fit but my point is legalization.
Is e-bike legal on service road?

no offense, my army time taught me something, integrity- do the right thing even no one is watching 

3ID HAAF GA

Quincy Local Fishingman

32 mins ago, Jeff270 said:

Like everything in life, some things make sense and some don't.   Water skiing on a quiet lake -  good to go!  Water skiing 30 yds off Nauset beach in August - dumb.   Surf casting at midnight off Nauset in August - good to go!   Surf casting off Nauset at noon on July 4th - dumb.

E-bikes going max out on a crowded service road is one of those things.  Because common sense is no longer a readily available commodity, regulations are made to account for the dopes and subsequently penalize those have a brain.

Yeah I get that and totally agree. 

I just don't get how that conflicts with my observation that ebikes are growing in popularity and are the wave of the future. 

Besides, how are ebikes more dangerous than the pedal bikes being riden by what someone above aptly called the Lance Armstrong types? I've had to dodge those fawkers plenty of times. You're walking down the path with eyes on the water when you hear "on your right" and you got one second to step aside. 

I don't spend all that much time on the canal bike path but on the bike paths near me the Lance Armstrong types are a serious hazard. They go bombing full speed through groups of walkers or families with little kids trying to pedal their little kid bikes.

Someone I know who is a hard-core bicycle long distance riders defends it by saying it's a "bike path, not a sidewalk".

I guess they need a speed limit. Or a sidewalk for walkers. And they need to decide if ebikes are bicycles or motorized vehicles. 

4 mins ago, BostonSurfMan said:

no offense, my army time taught me something, integrity- do the right thing even no one is watching 

Agreed.

"No motorized vehicles" seems like it should exclude them but it's a gray area and an evolving situation. 

40 mins ago, Jeff270 said:

Like everything in life, some things make sense and some don't.   Water skiing on a quiet lake -  good to go!  Water skiing 30 yds off Nauset beach in August - dumb.   Surf casting at midnight off Nauset in August - good to go!   Surf casting off Nauset at noon on July 4th - dumb.

E-bikes going max out on a crowded service road is one of those things.  Because common sense is no longer a readily available commodity, regulations are made to account for the dopes and subsequently penalize those have a brain.

Exactly. I’ve seen lure with multiple triple hooks swinging behind canal bike, can’t wait to see e-bike kiting a umbrella rig on service road 

3ID HAAF GA

Quincy Local Fishingman

39 mins ago, BostonSurfMan said:

For decades the ACOE clearly stated "peddle bikes only".  Matter of fact, the dept fire chief of Plymouth received a $50 ticket about 15 years ago when his 7 year old son had some sort of battery powered skateboard on the service road.

Fast forward a dozen years, ebikes arrive, and the corps does an about face?   

Don't get me wrong, I think the Corps doesn't a wonderful job given the enormity of their mission. I've worked with them many times on harbor patrol details and the herring runs. Great people. Really  professional.  But regarding ebikes, they're wrong.

The Sultan of Sluggo

6 mins ago, bob_G said:

For decades the ACOE clearly stated "peddle bikes only".  Matter of fact, the dept fire chief of Plymouth received a $50 ticket about 15 years ago when his 7 year old son had some sort of battery powered skateboard on the service road.

Fast forward a dozen years, ebikes arrive, and the corps does an about face?   

Don't get me wrong, I think the Corps doesn't a wonderful job given the enormity of their mission. I've worked with them many times on harbor patrol details and the herring runs. Great people. Really  professional.  But regarding ebikes, they're wrong.

Guess it’s not on their property list, until something happened not nicely.

I don’t blame them neither. They set the rule, people choose to not follow, that’s why we can’t have nice things.

3ID HAAF GA

Quincy Local Fishingman

1 hour ago, BostonSurfMan said:

Exactly. I’ve seen lure with multiple triple hooks swinging behind canal bike, can’t wait to see e-bike kiting a umbrella rig on service road 

Are your kidding me? Someone was actually riding a bike with a free hanging lure on the back? 

Weather you guys like it or not if the ebikes keep growing they will be banned from bike paths and the service rd.  1 person going too fast and hitting someone hurting them bad is all it will take.  I certainly wouldnt invest just for the canal.  Mike how old is your kid to not have a license he looks 20.

6 hours ago, FoulHooker said:

Weather you guys like it or not if the ebikes keep growing they will be banned from bike paths and the service rd.  1 person going too fast and hitting someone hurting them bad is all it will take.  I certainly wouldnt invest just for the canal.  Mike how old is your kid to not have a license he looks 20.

Haven't there been a couple of incidents with the Lance Armstong crowd where pedestrians were injured?  ACOE didn't seem too concerned about them.

Most not ALL serious bike riders suck. Spandex helmets et all ride three abreast a lot of times on small country roads were there is NO room and if they are in a "race" they think they own the whole road. FM

1 hour ago, clambellies said:

Haven't there been a couple of incidents with the Lance Armstong crowd where pedestrians were injured?  ACOE didn't seem too concerned about them.

There's been a bunch. Every summer.  Probably because it's the Bourne FD and EMT that respond.  

With the exception of the patrol boat crew, what I've seen over the years, whenever there's a problem, the ACOE almost always defers to others, like the BPD, EPO, or the SP.  They almost seem to remain neutral.

The Sultan of Sluggo

On 5/14/2024 at 8:48 AM, BostonSurfMan said:

Some E bikes are allowed on the canal service roads. ALL BIKES need to ride a safe speed. 

IMG_0262.jpeg

On 5/14/2024 at 9:26 PM, K Foley said:

Most not ALL serious bike riders suck. Spandex helmets et all ride three abreast a lot of times on small country roads were there is NO room and if they are in a "race" they think they own the whole road. FM

I love the “give 4 feet” signs on backroads. 

3 hours ago, ged said:

I love the “give 4 feet” signs on backroads. 

I try to restrain my negative feelings about bike riders on the street, but damn do they piss me off.

I live in an area that is part of the accepted regular route of hobbyist bicycle riders. Apparently it is literally in guide books. People from all over the world come to pedal our roads. I live at an intersection. In good weather we get, without exaggerating, hundreds if not thousands of bikes go by on a Saturday. 

It makes driving on the narrow winding roads a menace. And that 4 foot thing is now a law. I suppose in theory you could get a ticket for not honoring it. Still better than a head on collision from driving in the other lane because the idiots insist on riding side by side and won't move over for approaching traffic. 

On 5/18/2024 at 10:54 AM, mikez2 said:

I try to restrain my negative feelings about bike riders on the street, but damn do they piss me off.

I live in an area that is part of the accepted regular route of hobbyist bicycle riders. Apparently it is literally in guide books. People from all over the world come to pedal our roads. I live at an intersection. In good weather we get, without exaggerating, hundreds if not thousands of bikes go by on a Saturday. 

It makes driving on the narrow winding roads a menace. And that 4 foot thing is now a law. I suppose in theory you could get a ticket for not honoring it. Still better than a head on collision from driving in the other lane because the idiots insist on riding side by side and won't move over for approaching traffic. 

We live near the top of one of the bigger hills in  area.  Bikers like to practice their hill climbing on it. A good portion of the riders should be attempting somethings smaller until they get in better shape.   Its a narrow country road with nothing but rock walls or woods on either side.  The bikers will be in the middle of the road, huffing and puffing barely able to stay upright.  If they refuse to move over there are only a couple of places you can get around them.  My go to move when I am really pissed is to pass them and then slow down to a crawl in front of them.  They lose all their momentum and are done for the rest of the hill. Might as well turn around and coast back down to the bottom and start again.

Dick move, but hey it makes me feel better.

Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?