E Bikes

Rate this topic

10 hours ago, Steel Pulse said:

why is it that most of the guys using them really need to be using a real bike for the excercise . . 

I don't need the excercise, lower back and hip arthritis is my issue.  I have no problem pedaling from one end of the ditch to the other end but coming back against the SW wind is a killer.  

i hear you on the pedaling against the SW. been cursing it for many many years and now that i’m in my mid 60’s i understand the need for help because of deteriorating body issues. i was thinking more of the amount of younger people using them.  I will still try to keep peddling always need the exercise but I will continue to be jealous going into that SW having someone blow by me on their electric bike and knowing i have a few miles to go. 

what's the secret word for tonight

The number of ebikes everywhere is really growing. They're getting very popular. I see lots on the bike trails now. My son doesn't have his driver's license but uses his ebike to go everywhere. He's extremely fit and could use his pedal bike but he never touches it.

It's the future whether we like it or not. 

^^Correct. Like it or not, most people like them and they are here to stay. For the record, I still don't use a bike (or boat) of any kind. I'm a foot-powered Neanderthal. Not possible for many my age however, so I get it.

Pfantum Pfishah

2 hours ago, mikez2 said:

The number of ebikes everywhere is really growing. They're getting very popular. I see lots on the bike trails now. My son doesn't have his driver's license but uses his ebike to go everywhere. He's extremely fit and could use his pedal bike but he never touches it.

this is the best response in this thread. im gonna be 45 in June and so many days i find myself grumbling about changes in society. i have two teenagers and the world looks so different through their eyes then it did when i was that age. times change, people change, technology changes. just gotta go with the flow. kinda like riding an ebike

When we judge or criticize another person, it says nothing about that person;
it merely says something about our own need to be critical.
-Author Unknown-

12 mins ago, bradW said:

this is the best response in this thread. im gonna be 45 in June and so many days i find myself grumbling about changes in society. i have two teenagers and the world looks so different through their eyes then it did when i was that age. times change, people change, technology changes. just gotta go with the flow. kinda like riding an ebike

Excellent post Brad, peddle a bike for exercise or ride an e-bike for sport or convenience.  Maybe they don't belong on bike paths and the is an A-Hole in every crowd to abuse the privilege but thats life.  I am old enough or should I say experienced in life to remember my mother driving the family car with a three speed manual trans. and no power steering, pick up trucks were trucks, not what we drive today and how many of you guys can drive a large commercial truck with a five speed main trans. and a three speed auxiliary trans. or a quad box?????

Times are a changin...............

If they cant impose a speed limit and enforce it how could they ever enforce fishing laws.  Canal is too busy for the Ebikes in the summer should be banned memorial day-labor day.  It would also big time keep the crowds down if the bites on and you are not near a popular parking area.

3 hours ago, FoulHooker said:

If they cant impose a speed limit and enforce it how could they ever enforce fishing laws.  Canal is too busy for the Ebikes in the summer should be banned memorial day-labor day.  It would also big time keep the crowds down if the bites on and you are not near a popular parking area.

I don't see why they should be banned when the access road is busy with crowds.  Having an EBike doesn't mean your going to push the thing to the max all of the time.  I've never had a problem with my regular bike moving through the crowds.  I'm smart enough not to come down the road like the Lance Armstrong types.  

5 mins ago, clambellies said:

Having an EBike doesn't mean your going to push the thing to the max all of the time.  

But that's the problem, most of them do push it to the max.  I had a well known 77 year old man tell me last summer he can make it from the Sagamore post office to Bell Rd in 14 minutes! 

The Sultan of Sluggo

15 hours ago, mikez2 said:

I believe you missed the point. no one hates ebike in general, but it doesn't belong to service road. you don't take your car in Disney, do you?

3ID HAAF GA

Quincy Local Fishingman

23 mins ago, BostonSurfMan said:

I believe you missed the point. no one hates ebike in general, but it doesn't belong to service road. you don't take your car in Disney, do you?

Precisely, thank you.

The Sultan of Sluggo

8 hours ago, BostonSurfMan said:

. you don't take your car in Disney, do you?

Yeah I totally don't get the car in Disney reference. Maybe I'm too dense but I don't see a similarity between cars and ebikes nor a similarity between Disney and the canal.

Regardless, I was just throwing a general observation out there about the state of the popularity of the ebikes everywhere. 

They have taken off in popularity and it's got nothing to do with elderly or handicapped people who can't pedal. They're everywhere and it's a lot of young fit people riding them.

They're on the paved bike paths near me despite the "no motorized vehicles" signs. They're on trails in the woods despite the same signs. They're on public roads but you don't need a registration or drivers license. 

And there's more every day.

That's all I'm saying. Just a general observation. 

Still scratching my head over the Disney thing. Are you allowed to ride pedal bikes in Disney?

Edit: I looked it up. Seems pedal bikes ARE allowed inside the Magic Kingdom but ebikes ARE NOT.

Still don't get the car reference though. 

Edited by mikez2

1 hour ago, mikez2 said:

Yeah I totally don't get the car in Disney reference. Maybe I'm too dense but I don't see a similarity between cars and ebikes nor a similarity between Disney and the canal.

Regardless, I was just throwing a general observation out there about the state of the popularity of the ebikes everywhere. 

They have taken off in popularity and it's got nothing to do with elderly or handicapped people who can't pedal. They're everywhere and it's a lot of young fit people riding them.

They're on the paved bike paths near me despite the "no motorized vehicles" signs. They're on trails in the woods despite the same signs. They're on public roads but you don't need a registration or drivers license. 

And there's more every day.

That's all I'm saying. Just a general observation. 

Still scratching my head over the Disney thing. Are you allowed to ride pedal bikes in Disney?

Edit: I looked it up. Seems pedal bikes ARE allowed inside the Magic Kingdom but ebikes ARE NOT.

Still don't get the car reference though. 

Like everything in life, some things make sense and some don't.   Water skiing on a quiet lake -  good to go!  Water skiing 30 yds off Nauset beach in August - dumb.   Surf casting at midnight off Nauset in August - good to go!   Surf casting off Nauset at noon on July 4th - dumb.

E-bikes going max out on a crowded service road is one of those things.  Because common sense is no longer a readily available commodity, regulations are made to account for the dopes and subsequently penalize those have a brain.

Edited by Jeff270

Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?

21 hours ago, b-ware said:

...... how many of you guys can drive a large commercial truck with a five speed main trans. and a three speed auxiliary trans. or a quad box?????

AKA....... Brownie box?