Jump to content

E Bikes

Rate this topic


Recommended Posts

47 mins ago, Ditch Jigger said:

Mine was a POS Shakespeare that my dad bought for me, to match with the 8' glass Berkley rod that he thought would be good for bouncing worms. It didn't take log for me to buy a Penn 704 with my own money. I still had that old greenie when I moved away, although it didn't have a lot of gree left on it by then.

Mike,

 

I deliberately didn't mention bouncing worms.  We all used spinning outfits back then as you mentioned.

I think my first spinning reel was a Luxor Seven Seas.  Like you, I switched over to Greenies.  I believe the 704 and 700.  Those were great reels. You couldn't wear them out. I cut the bails off both of mine to convert them to a manual pickup. 

I also had a 710 and I think I might have had a 712 for plugging schoolies.

 

Then we all graduated to the big Luxors and Cracks. I had a pair of them. Tough as nails, but notoriously slow. Barely 3:1.

 

 Big Mitchell arrived on the canal in the  late 60s. We all began using the 498, skirted spool, and a manual pickup. High speed, 4.5:1 gear ratio. Huge line capacity  compared to other reels.  I had several.  Sold one some years ago on the BST forum.  But I still have a brand new, unused 498 sitting on a shelf looking at me.

You know DJ, this was over 50 years ago. We're old!

The Sultan of Sluggo

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Back to E bikes.  I think you should have a disability and obtain a permit to ride on the canal access rd.  Just like using a crossbow during archery season in MA.

 

  wait. did you guys bounce worms in the canal?

Edited by FoulHooker
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 mins ago, FoulHooker said:

Back to E bikes.  I think you should have a disability and obtain a permit to ride on the canal access rd.  Just like using a crossbow during archery season in MA.

 

  wait. did you guys bounce worms in the canal?

Called dribbling today kind of a lost art:bigeyes:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, K Foley said:

Called dribbling today kind of a lost art:bigeyes:

I feel like doing that today even for tog, scup or seabass the worm is gone quick and the mung is brutal.  Must have been challenging or just less bait stealer and more fish?  Now I just use berkely gulp in the canal for the hubcap scup and seabass once a year to fill the freezer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

And on the subject of e-bikes, I don't see why there's any need for a full throttle one. The service road is as flat as a pool table, and a pedal assist one should suffice. IMO if you're so physically challenged that you can't turn pedals with the help of a motor, you have no business climbing on the Canal rip rap rocks.

"…if catching fish is your only objective, you are either new to the game or too narrowly focused on measurable results.” - D. Stuver

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 mins ago, Ditch Jigger said:

And on the subject of e-bikes, I don't see why there's any need for a full throttle one. The service road is as flat as a pool table, and a pedal assist one should suffice. ……..


Ah.  But when that SW blow picks up in the PM, biking back from Pips to BSP on a three speed, can be challenging.  I always felt the burn peddling west up the incline to the Sagamore parking area when the blow was on. 
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 mins ago, Joe G said:


Ah.  But when that SW blow picks up in the PM, biking back from Pips to BSP on a three speed, can be challenging.  I always felt the burn peddling west up the incline to the Sagamore parking area when the blow was on. 
 

At the top you could coast to 150 (my all-time favorite spot)The hill at Portugee Hole going East on a NE blow the same although that wind not as prvelant or predictable.:)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 mins ago, K Foley said:

At the top you could coast to 150 (my all-time favorite spot)


A place where you best pay attention to casting in rotation or you’d get a tongue lashing from the regulars. 
 

First time I saw your partner Frank, was there.  Using a crippled herring.  Conventional. Unbelievable distance. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Joe G said:


A place where you best pay attention to casting in rotation or you’d get a tongue lashing from the regulars. 
 

First time I saw your partner Frank, was there.  Using a crippled herring.  Conventional. Unbelievable distance. 

 

He could get it out there with the best of them conventional or spinners. Ho bought an Emblem Pro had Bruce build him an Arra spinner and used it less than a month before he retired it. He taught me a lot. Besides the Canal was tuning our Abu reels. Bearings cleaned in acetone put on a pencil heat with a hair dryer and give a light spot of Hot Sauce. I still prefer conventional except for light weight like SP Minnows. Fighting a fish much better control with conventional and better jigging for me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, K Foley said:

 

He taught me a lot. Besides the Canal was tuning our Abu reels. Bearings cleaned in acetone put on a pencil heat with a hair dryer and give a light spot of Hot Sauce. 


I recall either you or Frank have a green Abu
 

Cleaning and lubing  bearings.  Quite a few different techniques guys used.   I was never that fastidious in lubing mine. Shot of Penn oil and that was it for me.   Rocket Fuel was a lube that a local Newell sharpie often spoke about using. 

 

 

 

Edited by Joe G
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 mins ago, Joe G said:


I recall either you or Frank have a green Abu
 

Cleaning and lubing  bearings.  Quite a few different techniques guys used.   I was never that fastidious in lubing mine. Shot of Penn oil and that was it for me.   Rocket Fuel was a lube that a local Newell sharpie often spoke about using. 

 

 

 

Yes Abu Mags then Chrome Rockets a little heavier but could still punch it out there. Once tuned in you could really heave it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Physical disability aside, there is no logical reason for allowing ebikes on the canal.   I got my first canal bike in high school. I still recall the first times I used it. I remember thinking this is one of the coolest way to fish in the planet.

 

The service road is almost flat. I see people riding the service road on peddle bikes ranging in age from children with training wheels, to geriatrics recovering from double knee or hip transplants. All seem to be enjoying themselves.

 

You'll never convince me perfectly healthy males need to be racing 25mph, weaving around pedestrians, dog walkers and children just because they need to catch a fish.

The ACOE normally does a great job.  But IMO they completely allowed this to snowball and get away from them.

The Sultan of Sluggo

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 mins ago, bob_G said:

Physical disability aside, there is no logical reason for allowing ebikes on the canal.   I got my first canal bike in high school. I still recall the first times I used it. I remember thinking this is one of the coolest way to fish in the planet.

 

The service road is almost flat. I see people riding the service road on peddle bikes ranging in age from children with training wheels, to geriatrics recovering from double knee or hip transplants. All seem to be enjoying themselves.

 

You'll never convince me perfectly healthy males need to be racing 25mph, weaving around pedestrians, dog walkers and children just because they need to catch a fish.

The ACOE normally does a great job.  But IMO they completely allowed this to snowball and get away from them.

Could not agree more. If you need a power boost to ride don't ride the Canal then no fishing if you do. The fix was easy from the start NO E BIKES!. Surprised it was allowed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...