E Bikes

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, gray gables said:

I remember when the emblems were all the rage at the canal. 

The only part that “went bad” for me was the roller bearing.  They rusted out quite frequently   It was an issue for many other guys as well. 

Fortunately, there was a ball bearing retailer in Quincy from which I bought a few sleeves of 20 bearings each. Handed them out to friends who needed them.  Have 3 bearings left. 

IMG_0669.jpeg

6 mins ago, Joe G said:

The only part that “went bad” for me was the roller bearing.  They rusted out quite frequently   It was an issue for many other guys as well. 

Fortunately, there was a ball bearing retailer in Quincy from which I bought a few sleeves of 20 bearings each. Handed them out to friends who needed them.  Have 3 bearings left. 

IMG_0669.jpeg

Yes Joe that was about their only weakness. Heavy jigging could loosen them up too. I always used ABU conventional for jigging worked for me much easier to let line out with control on a good bottom bounce. You could almost predict a hook up when the "bounce" was working just right. Top water more fun and eye candy but jigging more successful.

30 mins ago, Joe G said:

IMG_0669.jpeg

I remember this. Man, that seems like decades ago.

The Sultan of Sluggo

The Nautils were great reels - best available for that time.  I had a bunch of them ( pre Saltigas ) because I was worried they'd stop making them someday.

And before those there was the Daiwa Emblem 6000T. No infinite anti reverse so jigging destroyed them.

Edited by J Powers
add inf

23 mins ago, J Powers said:

The Nautils were great reels - best available for that time.  I had a bunch of them ( pre Saltigas ) because I was worried they'd stop making them someday.

And before those there was the Daiwa Emblem 6000T. No infinite anti reverse so jigging destroyed them.

I think jigging with the spool in the down position helped too.

5 mins ago, K Foley said:

I think jigging with the spool in the down position helped too.

Yup, I forgot about that. If you jigged too often with the spool in the up position you'd eventually bend the shaft.  I enjoyed fishing the reel.

The Sultan of Sluggo

34 mins ago, J Powers said:

Jim. Thanks again for dropping off this 5 piece Nautil bail kit at the BSP guard shack some 20 odd years ago. I was able to get a few more years from one Nautil with your parts. 

IMG_0670.jpeg

IMG_0671.jpeg

1 hour ago, Joe G said:

IMG_0669.jpeg

The stock handle was pretty much junk, too. But there were aftermarket handles. I also hated that banana handle on the Nautil. I'm trying to remember if the black hi-speed model had a different handle?

"…if catching fish is your only objective, you are either new to the game or too narrowly focused on measurable results.” - D. Stuver

4 hours ago, bob_G said:

The Em Pro was almost everyone's first spinning reel.

Mine was a POS Shakespeare that my dad bought for me, to match with the 8' glass Berkley rod that he thought would be good for bouncing worms. It didn't take log for me to buy a Penn 704 with my own money. I still had that old greenie when I moved away, although it didn't have a lot of gree left on it by then.

"…if catching fish is your only objective, you are either new to the game or too narrowly focused on measurable results.” - D. Stuver