E Bikes

Rate this topic

I was picking up Tide Chart and noticed a sign that advises of Canal rules etc regarding E Bikes. It says there are three classes of E Bikes and only two are allowed. No throttle assist ? Do EPO'S or Corp enforce this ? Thinking of a E Bike purchase. This may be old news but I just noticed the rule. 

I live there, and the canal is practically in my front yard.  The ACOE enforces nothing.  Guys are bombing along the service road on three wheel ebikes over 25mph all day long. No one says a word.

I have no doubt you saw a sign implying there are restrictions, but that's rhetoric on their behalf.  They're just trying to cover themselves in the event of an accident and  someone decides to sue.

Go buy yourself the biggest, fastest, baddest ebike and have a ball. Everyone else is.

The Sultan of Sluggo

3 mins ago, clambellies said:

I'm not as worried about eBikes as much as the Lance Armstrong types.  Every ride along the Canal is their personal Tour De France.

Yep, and I've found very few of them give you a heads up, such as a horn blast or bell ring or an "on your left" shout out, as they are about to pass you from behind.  

18 hours ago, Richard_the_Aughth said:

Interestingly enough, the more and more people cruising the canal with e bikes the less and less the spots right next to the parking lot should be shoulder to shoulder fishing, at least one would think...

Why? How does that even make sense?

The guys on bikes cruise right past the parking lots just like every other spot. It only takes one person hooked up for the bike cavalry to swoop in and mob a spot. It happens in front of parking lots even more often because more people fish there so more chance for the calvary to spot bent rods.

42 mins ago, mikez2 said:

Why? How does that even make sense?

The guys on bikes cruise right past the parking lots just like every other spot. It only takes one person hooked up for the bike cavalry to swoop in and mob a spot. It happens in front of parking lots even more often because more people fish there so more chance for the calvary to spot bent rods.

Seems like a waste of time to haul in an e bike,  go 15 ft from the parking lot and start fishing

9 mins ago, Richard_the_Aughth said:

Seems like a waste of time to haul in an e bike,  go 15 ft from the parking lot and start fishing

They fish wherever fish are.

It's not like they use the bikes to get away from the crowd. Bikes = crowds. You can't hide from them. You hook up, they see you, they call their buddies. Instant crowd.

That's why I call them the calvary. A bent rod summons them like an Indian attack summoned the US calvary in the old western movies. If the bike path was dirt, you'd see the dust cloud coming your way as soon as you hook up. 

Their cell phones take the place of bugles to signal the attack.

10 mins ago, bob_G said:

Now you know why more and more of the guys who've been doing it for 50 years are taking up gardening, training dogs and coin collecting. :laugh:

It all changed with cell phones, and instant communication.  The ebikes were the coup de gras.

and spinning reels:)

1 hour ago, K Foley said:

and spinning reels:)

Yep….and specifically, the introduction of the “yellow banana handle”, the Nautil 6500 and 7500 with its extra spools, later followed by the Emblem Pro with its novel “long distance spool”, certainly contributed. 

The Em Pro was a game changer.

Inexpensive, reliable. Could cast a mile.  My first spinning reel when I made the jump from conventional to spinning.

I still have mine and it's still fishable. It's gotten a bit sloppy due to heavy use.   The Em Pro was almost everyone's first spinning reel.

Edited by bob_G

The Sultan of Sluggo