West Coast Irons

Rate this topic

Tady lures.

Cast aluminum, shape of a solid hull of a boat with bow both ends.

I had a few dozen years ago when making packaging tooling.

I shared them out between the guys at work, nobody was very successful when using them. I think they are species/bait/condition specific for what the guys out west use them for.

Robert’s ranger, now that is a lure that will cast a mile... Used them for years for blues, don't think I ever got a striper on them. I most often fished them on the surface (as I believe they are meant to be fished), but I found times when I let them sink (when fishing a deep jetty in the middle of the day) and worked it back I could get a  few blues when it seemed none were around. I need to dig some of them up as they are said to be good for Rooster Fish and I am heading to Costa Rica next month!

I was out in LA and picked up a few West Coast Tins, but never had much luck with them...

Here's a real oldie that made the rounds on MV in the mid 70s.  The guy who made them was peddling them on the canal for a few days and I bought one.

It might have been a good plug.  But the fishery was collapsing, and the fishing in the canal was awful.  But if I recall, the jumbo YEDs loved them.  But then again, jumbo YEDs eat everything.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

The Sultan of Sluggo

^^^ that’s the precursor to the ballistic missile.  One of the best bluefish lures out there.  Loaded Cordell’s are great too.

@Stripernut1 if you have a couple of ballistic missiles or small loaded cordelle pencil poppers then you might want to throw them in your bag.

I have tried them a few times in half-hearted attempts. Sweet looking and cast fairly well.

But have done far better just sticking with paddle tails and when buying them in bulk, lot less pain in getting them shredded by the blues.

IMG_1430.jpeg

Edited by Searobin

(*member formerly known as ‘nygnyrredsoxfan’)

Ditch Troll #340

On 5/9/2024 at 8:57 AM, mcnar said:

I’ve heard of people using them successfully for blues. I picked up a Robert’s ranger and a couple gt ice creams to try this year, I’m sure there are situations where bass will take em

Which GT shapes did u get?   

I bought a few and definitely had a favorite,  lost them all except one. But can't remember if that's the one I liked the best! 

I don't think it is. I think my wife launched my favorite to block island from Stonington harbor. :bucktooth:

FTR they cast like they got rockets built in. 

I am confident that those surfaces irons would work well in a certain situation, for both bass and blues. And that would be in a Nor’Easter in big water and wash. 

As some have said here, they are just a fancy, metal ranger basically. And I have caught many fish on those when it’s the only surface plug that will cast

The Black Flag comes in many colorsM. Malice