Joining braid to braid backing

Rate this topic

Busanga

1 hour ago, Busanga said:

Yes am aware.. and I do the same on my heavier surf / bait casting set up on my 15' Assasin rod. 40lb braid to 100lb braid leader using a PR knot... very strong, works well.

This situation is bit different in that I already have 40lb (new) mostly spooled as a backing and want to fill rest up with my 30lb braid... I think a PR knot may not work well as the diameters are too similar and too thin to wrap or dig into effectively. 

Have never actually tried it though... it may be interesting to experiment 

PR braid to braid I do roughly 3” or more. It holds well. Keep it below the casting / working amount of line on the spool. 

If you’re just messing with stuff, things I have tried that work and I may use again:

1. try a uni to uni and drop superglue on it as you cinch both sides tight.
  2. tie from whatever is on your spool (40 lbs braid) to min 65 plus braid and then tie your top section to that thicker line. 
  3. Tie braid to braid using FG with alternating doubled wraps. (Relix I think they called it.) 
  4. Bimini twist. (Bobbin is a big plus in my experience.) leave a big loop. Tie a big loop Bimini on the new spool. Loop to loop (cats paw) connect top line to backing. Great for using Spiderwire that gets worn down quickly. 

To the haters:

Yes. It’s more work. So what. The overthinkers club is looking for members. Who wants in?

54 mins ago, EricDice said:

PR braid to braid I do roughly 3” or more. It holds well. Keep it below the casting / working amount of line on the spool. 

If you’re just messing with stuff, things I have tried that work and I may use again:

1. try a uni to uni and drop superglue on it as you cinch both sides tight.
  2. tie from whatever is on your spool (40 lbs braid) to min 65 plus braid and then tie your top section to that thicker line. 
  3. Tie braid to braid using FG with alternating doubled wraps. (Relix I think they called it.) 
  4. Bimini twist. (Bobbin is a big plus in my experience.) leave a big loop. Tie a big loop Bimini on the new spool. Loop to loop (cats paw) connect top line to backing. Great for using Spiderwire that gets worn down quickly. 

To the haters:

Yes. It’s more work. So what. The overthinkers club is looking for members. Who wants in?

Good tips.. SA guys use an intermediary heavy line to join two lighter lines.. had forgotten about that.. also I have some 30lb hollow core.. can splice them together... 100% ish strength and easy to do