Joining braid to braid backing

Rate this topic

Busanga

3 mins ago, wok167 said:

Good qualification!

I can just imagine someone squeezing liquid superglue through layers of braid as they spool their reel.

Just like something I would do:)

No biggie, braided line is Polyethelene. Nothing sticks to it well, even the knot you trying to glue.  Add the waxy coating to the mix. well....

18 hours ago, Busanga said:

What knot do you use to join more or less equal # braid lines together.  For eg. I have 40lb braid and want to put a 150m 'topshot' of 30lb braid on which I can replace when needed.

blood or double uni 

If you try to change it, you will ruin it. Try to hold it, and you will lose it.

Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

Braid to braid double uni is so small not worth worrying about it. Casts fine through the guides and doesn't hang up line on the spool. When you really need to worry about double uni is when using nylon or fluro because the stupid tag ends stick out and are stiff and are what hang up and cause trouble. I don't use mono backing on any of my reels anymore, just all braid and have no concerns using as many double unis as needed. 

1 hour ago, LB said:

Any particular color.

Has to be gray. Original gray.
Aluminum tape on top adds more line protection, UV protection, and additional water resistance. 

haters will always hate. trolls will always troll. its how the internet works.

(previously known as 'ooeric')

If you remember the paulusonfishing web site, you might also remember that Paulus had a pretty convincing argument that braid needs to be retied occasionally, because the knotted individual fibers break down over time.  A few years ago, I had an experience that seemed to bear that out:  a well-tested knot buried in the spool saw the light of day for the first time in months, and just let go.

Edited by mike1010

12 hours ago, Jig It said:

I think it's best to use mono which is cheap for backing and forget about braid to braid concerns. 

Depends on the type of fishing.. sometimes need the capacity.. seen a stella 20k get spooled of the beach in SA..  some big fish out there... but yes , in general most probably better run mono backing

On 5/12/2024 at 5:36 PM, mike1010 said:

If you remember the paulusonfishing web site, you might also remember that Paulus had a pretty convincing argument that braid needs to be retied occasionally, because the knotted individual fibers break down over time.  A few years ago, I had an experience that seemed to bear that out:  a well-tested knot buried in the spool saw the light of day for the first time in months, and just let go.

The Paulus site had some cool knots!

IIRC, the thing you’re referring to was based on the knot being under tension. Braid continues to cinch tighter & “eat through itself” so to speak.

A uni to uni, preferably one tied by doubling over each side of the knot, holds perfectly when it’s not repeatedly pushed to near max strength.

But when it is really stressed, it generally won’t fail quickly or first time but will eventually fail at some 50%-xx% that probably varies dramatically. (And I won’t pretend to know exactly what the variables are for the ones that hold better or last through more near max trials.)

I have had that failure mainly in “scientific” basement testing. Held a bucket of water and then I gave it a rest. Same knot, same bucket, third time and it failed. I could see the “eaten through” strands of line. 

On 5/12/2024 at 5:36 PM, mike1010 said:

Paulus had a knot that was described as a Bimini twist but you cut the loop when you got to the end. That was a version of the PR knot. 

@Busanga I am sure you’re already familiar but @ZAFisher & his comrades in SA use braid to braid FG. Those are going through guides as a “braided line shock leader” or “casting leader” since the business end is a thicker line than the running line. 

They also tend to use premium thinner braids on top of thicker & cheaper braid underneath. He would be good to weigh in on this.

————-

for what its worth

When I don’t have enough line on a spool or the spool is too big, I generally use a PR. Unlike braid to leader, it is more time consuming when doing braid to braid for reasons I have explained in other threads & can explain if interested or not easily found via search. (I’m no expert so don’t feel obligated To look or to fake interest, lol.)

My reasoning for using the PR is that I want the bottom of the spool to be a strong spot as I want to tighten the drag before being completely spooled. I don’t want to lose a spool full of main line thus also dooming that shark or ray dragging around all that line. So, that connection can’t be a weak point in my reasoning.

6 hours ago, EricDice said:

Paulus had a knot that was described as a Bimini twist but you cut the loop when you got to the end. That was a version of the PR knot. 

@Busanga I am sure you’re already familiar but @ZAFisher & his comrades in SA use braid to braid FG. Those are going through guides as a “braided line shock leader” or “casting leader” since the business end is a thicker line than the running line. 

They also tend to use premium thinner braids on top of thicker & cheaper braid underneath. He would be good to weigh in on this.

————-

for what its worth

When I don’t have enough line on a spool or the spool is too big, I generally use a PR. Unlike braid to leader, it is more time consuming when doing braid to braid for reasons I have explained in other threads & can explain if interested or not easily found via search. (I’m no expert so don’t feel obligated To look or to fake interest, lol.)

My reasoning for using the PR is that I want the bottom of the spool to be a strong spot as I want to tighten the drag before being completely spooled. I don’t want to lose a spool full of main line thus also dooming that shark or ray dragging around all that line. So, that connection can’t be a weak point in my reasoning.

Yes am aware.. and I do the same on my heavier surf / bait casting set up on my 15' Assasin rod. 40lb braid to 100lb braid leader using a PR knot... very strong, works well.

This situation is bit different in that I already have 40lb (new) mostly spooled as a backing and want to fill rest up with my 30lb braid... I think a PR knot may not work well as the diameters are too similar and too thin to wrap or dig into effectively. 

Have never actually tried it though... it may be interesting to experiment