Joining braid to braid backing

Rate this topic

Busanga

What knot do you use to join more or less equal # braid lines together.  For eg. I have 40lb braid and want to put a 150m 'topshot' of 30lb braid on which I can replace when needed.

I just use uni-to-uni, but I have been told this is not considered best practice if one expects to get into the backing regularly, ie have that know frequently travel through guides. I wasn’t told what was best practice so maybe the shop just didn’t think it should be done at all.

I have had issues mixing really different types of line, like fireline to jbraid (or any other type of 8 carrier braid). Doubling each braid helps, but I try to avoid it.

Some are saying the blood knot is stronger for braid to braid in the lower strength braids. 

I think I will try a modified (10 wrap) uni to uni and a blood knot and do a simple non scientific pull test and see which is better.. 

I don't want to get into funky knots.. both the uni and blood are simple to tie

What are you trying to achieve? 40# braid to  a 30# braid top shot of 150 yds seems like a marginal difference to me in every category I can think of.  I'm not trying to bust on you but what's the purpose of that?  i.e. why not just fish straight 30# braid with mono backing if line capacity is the issue?  Knots are usually the point of failure in most big fish battles.  Minimize them.  

if your just fishing bass and blues then uni to uni is fine until you start passing the knot on casts due to lost line.  Especially if your backing is 40lb braid and the top shot is 30.  It’s probably better than 20lb mono backing to 30lb top shot- I don’t think mono knots are nearly as strong or hold up nearly as well over time, but maybe that’s just me.

26 mins ago, bmac said:

What are you trying to achieve? 40# braid to  a 30# braid top shot of 150 yds seems like a marginal difference to me in every category I can think of.  I'm not trying to bust on you but what's the purpose of that?  i.e. why not just fish straight 30# braid with mono backing if line capacity is the issue?  Knots are usually the point of failure in most big fish battles.  Minimize them.  

I already have 40lb braid on the spool. So just wanted to add the new 30lb that I have. 

10 hours ago, Busanga said:

What knot do you use to join more or less equal # braid lines together.  For eg. I have 40lb braid and want to put a 150m 'topshot' of 30lb braid on which I can replace when needed.

Back-to-back nail knots w/ a tie fast knot tyer tool (or similar)

Add a micro-drop of superglue for insurance, wipe off excess, let dry for a minute, then wet knot & reel in top shot.

Uni-to-uni, but in this case, then you'd have 2 uni-to-uni's(within the spool) from your top-shot as well as your mono backing to braid.

^^^I don't recommend any of this.

40lb braid differential to 30lb is not worth it.  Is this a conventional setup?  Give us some scope on the application with the setup.. por favor.

And, by the way.. a "top shot" is usually considered for big game/offshore >>> which you are splicing from hollow-core braid to mono.   And, the mono topshot "gives" per se... or has stretch.  Braid does not have stretch, so I'm still wondering what you are actually trying to do to help your application.

Posted (edited)

It is common practice to put a backing on spool and fill the rest with typically 300m spool of braid which when worn can peel of and replace with another 300m spool (or 150)..  

I did originally say 150m but I think will use the full 300m spool so I don't get into the knot so quickly.

Just wondered what knots people were using to join their braid.. 

Seems uni to uni is most common

Edited by Busanga

5 mins ago, FallenKell said:

(and let it dry completely).

Good qualification!

I can just imagine someone squeezing liquid superglue through layers of braid as they spool their reel.

Just like something I would do:)