Bear drags accident victim from car in Ma

Rate this topic

According to the news, a car went off the road in western Ma, the victim was possibly ejected. 

When the SP arriving, supposedly they found a black bear dragging the body off into the woods.

I don't know about this?  Really, a black bear?  This doesn't pass the smell test IMO.

I think a bear may have been there simply by chance, but not to eat a human.

The Sultan of Sluggo

The simplest answer is usually the best.  
I agree the highest likelihood is that the bear was nearby and came by to check out the smell.

That said, bears are pretty hungry right now I think.   if the person was DRT, maybe...

DITCH TROLL

Seemed strange to me as well.  I bet the victim got ejected and the bear was sniffing around.

Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?

1 hour ago, Jeff270 said:

Seemed strange to me as well.  I bet the victim got ejected and the bear was sniffing around.

The report that I read did state that he was ejected from the car. 

"…if catching fish is your only objective, you are either new to the game or too narrowly focused on measurable results.” - D. Stuver

5 mins ago, Ditch Jigger said:

The report that I read did state that he was ejected from the car. 

That makes a lot more sense.  Sounds like a case of bad timing.   Guy gets launched, and soon after Yogi happens by and finds his body.   Bears eat dead things and are opportunistic.   Did they indicate whether or not the bear had actually fed on the guys remains? 

Edited by Jeff270

Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?

I think what really happened is he hit the bear and injured it, causing the crash. That's why the bear was hanging around.

Saw another story where the EPO's had to euthanize the bear. 

State euthanizes bear in Hatfield after fatal I-91 crash, report says
Updated: May. 06, 2024, 5:43 p.m.|Published: May. 06, 2024, 5:40 p.m.

By Ryan Mancini | RMancini@masslive.com
A bear was euthanized in Hatfield on Monday, though it remains unclear if it was the same bear found near a crash site on Interstate 91 South Sunday morning, where a South Hadley man was killed, Western Mass. News reported Monday.

“The Massachusetts Environmental Police and MassWildlife euthanized a bear in Hatfield,” the Massachusetts Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs told the news channel in a statement. “There is no threat to public safety.”

The statement did not specify if this was the same bear seen in proximity of the crash. MassLive reached out to the Massachusetts Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs Monday for more information.

I'll have mine on the rocks.

On 5/7/2024 at 1:10 PM, Nite_Bite_00 said:

Black bears are statistically much higher than White bears to drag a motorist into the woods. 

Yeah. I peruse this forum every now and then. Wow.

Get out much into this world? You got any friends?

My sister had an interesting encounter last weekend. 

She's got a broken foot and uses one of those 3wheel scooters to push around on.  She's at my mom's (who lives a few hundred yards from me) going down her sidewalk, hits a hole and falls over, whacks her head hard. Starts screaming for help and a hefty black bear appears from the woods and starts walking towards her.  Her son comes out in a moment or two and it takes off. But it was clearly interested in her. And I don't know how close it got, & my sis tends to be over dramatic but my mom's yard isn't huge. I know where she fell and it could be anywhere from 0ft to 75ft away. 

My wife saw the bear run past our back door. Said it was hefty.